Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DanH wrote: View Post
    I feel like I've posted this a lot, but here's one more try:

    There is ZERO reason for any team that is not over the cap to do a sign and trade. If DeMar goes to any of the 20+ teams that will have max cap room, there will be no return for us. He will sign there outright.
    Roger that.

    Comment


    • DanH wrote: View Post
      I feel like I've posted this a lot, but here's one more try:

      There is ZERO reason for any team that is not over the cap to do a sign and trade. If DeMar goes to any of the 20+ teams that will have max cap room, there will be no return for us. He will sign there outright.
      I'm all for sign and trade of DeRozan. My version is just spaced out. We sign him now; trade him later.
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

      Comment


      • I still think we need a guy like Matt Barnes on this team.

        Comment


        • DanH wrote: View Post
          And DeMar wants to sign in CHA, why?
          Because I'm trying to live out a fantasy

          Let me dream Dan

          Comment


          • Just Is wrote: View Post
            I'm all for sign and trade of DeRozan. My version is just spaced out. We sign him now; trade him later.
            I'm not sure I even want to do that anymore. We'd be stuck with him for at least 3 months.. but teams don't generally like to make drastic changes in season - so more like one year. Is it worth bringing back this same core for one more year just to hopefully get a draft pick, and maybe a prospect?

            I say we cut the cord and look at what this core looks like without him. If we don't get an asset back so be it. Portland's doing fine without getting anything back for Aldridge.

            Comment


            • planetmars wrote: View Post
              I'm not sure I even want to do that anymore. We'd be stuck with him for at least 3 months.. but teams don't generally like to make drastic changes in season - so more like one year. Is it worth bringing back this same core for one more year just to hopefully get a draft pick, and maybe a prospect?

              I say we cut the cord and look at what this core looks like without him. If we don't get an asset back so be it. Portland's doing fine without getting anything back for Aldridge.
              With our own draft pick ending up under a 1M cap hit and the cap projection creeping up a few million since the start of the year, the Raps are within a stone's throw of 19M in cap room if DD walks - not enough to chase a huge name, but still a significant enough pile of cash to do something.

              I think I'd still lean towards re-signing DeMar (and I'm praying he can show some sign of being worth doing that over the rest of the playoffs, however long that is), but there are options.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

              Comment


              • planetmars wrote: View Post
                I'm not sure I even want to do that anymore. We'd be stuck with him for at least 3 months.. but teams don't generally like to make drastic changes in season - so more like one year. Is it worth bringing back this same core for one more year just to hopefully get a draft pick, and maybe a prospect?

                I say we cut the cord and look at what this core looks like without him. If we don't get an asset back so be it. Portland's doing fine without getting anything back for Aldridge.
                DanH wrote: View Post
                With our own draft pick ending up under a 1M cap hit and the cap projection creeping up a few million since the start of the year, the Raps are within a stone's throw of 19M in cap room if DD walks - not enough to chase a huge name, but still a significant enough pile of cash to do something.

                I think I'd still lean towards re-signing DeMar (and I'm praying he can show some sign of being worth doing that over the rest of the playoffs, however long that is), but there are options.
                I'm fine with either at this point, but I'm least of all interested in ending up in next year's postseason with this year's full core and the same coach just to find out whether or not another 12 months has made a difference.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                Comment


                • I still want Jon Leuer at PF. He's a low-risk PF who will come cheap more than likely.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

                  Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

                  Comment


                  • I just can't see a realistic scenario where Masai doesn't make DeRozan an offer, regardless of how round 1 ends.

                    And if all the talk of DeRozan (and Lowry) wanting to create a legacy in Toronto together are true, he gets a deal done quickly.
                    Last edited by Nilanka; Thu Apr 28, 2016, 01:52 PM.

                    Comment


                    • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I just can't see a realistic scenario where Masai doesn't make DeRozan an offer, regardless of how round 1 ends.

                      And if all the talk of DeRozan (and Lowry) wanting to create a legacy in Toronto together are true, he gets a deal done quickly.
                      This.

                      Masai is a master of persuasion. I will guarantee right now that he gets DeMar to sign at a discount. Masai knows DD's flaws. He also knows that there isn't many SGs better than DeRozan in the entire league. Also, DeRozan does not come across as an egotistical asshole to me. I think MU gets another deal done at great value, which is all we can hope for. Value, value, value, and you can never go wrong with any deal. As long as nobody is overpaid (relative to the league, not the opinions of RR DeRozan haters), we are fine.

                      Comment


                      • 92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
                        This.

                        Masai is a master of persuasion. I will guarantee right now that he gets DeMar to sign at a discount. Masai knows DD's flaws. He also knows that there isn't many SGs better than DeRozan in the entire league. Also, DeRozan does not come across as an egotistical asshole to me. I think MU gets another deal done at great value, which is all we can hope for. Value, value, value, and you can never go wrong with any deal. As long as nobody is overpaid (relative to the league, not the opinions of RR DeRozan haters), we are fine.
                        The only variable that could throw a wrench into this plan is DeRozan's agent. From a business perspective, it would be a bad idea to accept an offer lower than market value. He'd probably push hard for DeRozan not to set that precedent.

                        Comment


                        • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          The only variable that could throw a wrench into this plan is DeRozan's agent. From a business perspective, it would be a bad idea to accept an offer lower than market value. He'd probably push hard for DeRozan not to set that precedent.
                          Interesting point. DeRozan is already losing part of his salary to the Queen as well. Maybe a few news articles about how DeRozan took a home town discount to win a championship would smooth things out?

                          EDIT: This is, of course, dependent on the Raptors getting deeper in the playoffs.

                          Comment


                          • Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            The only variable that could throw a wrench into this plan is DeRozan's agent. From a business perspective, it would be a bad idea to accept an offer lower than market value. He'd probably push hard for DeRozan not to set that precedent.
                            Guys who wanna win take pay cuts all the time. Duncan, Dirk, and West all jump immediately to mind. And they took pay cuts way way way more than I'd expect DD to take.

                            That said, you know DD's agent is going to be pushing hard for DD to go to LAL due to all the extra endorsement income he would generate there.

                            Comment


                            • Primer wrote: View Post
                              Guys who wanna win take pay cuts all the time. Duncan, Dirk, and West all jump immediately to mind. And they took pay cuts way way way more than I'd expect DD to take.

                              That said, you know DD's agent is going to be pushing hard for DD to go to LAL due to all the extra endorsement income he would generate there.
                              Did those guys take cuts during the prime of their careers, while hitting free agency for the 1st time?

                              Comment


                              • He's not going to take enough of a cut to make a difference in our cap room

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X