No announcement yet.

Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for Anthony Bennett to start breaking out, so we can sign him next summer.

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Doc: make this the sign in message.
    Stop with this realistic stuff.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
      I think there is a decent chance Demar is moved before trade deadline.

Especially if he comes out all demar like.

He does have a name, and I think that he can return decent assets.
      What return do you think he would get right now?

Comment

slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
        What return do you think he would get right now?
        about 80% less than what most Raptors fans think.

I see salary savings, Young talent with potential, possible pick with it as well.

Comment

I see salary savings, Young talent with potential, possible pick with it as well.
          So what's the point? Shouldn't the next stage of our development be about consolidating with star-level talent?

Comment

I'm at the point where I don't see 2016 cap space as a viable route. Do damage on the trade market and with internal development, and play above the cap. With many teams dropping below the cap, it will be a seller's market. With those teams only able to spend up to the cap, those that are above the cap while getting good value for their money should clean up in terms of wins.

In summary, I'm quite looking forward to playing above the cap. Getting below would take a minor rebuild (ie trading DeMar for an expiring and not extending Ross, with little foreseeable payoff.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              So what's the point? Shouldn't the next stage of our development be about consolidating with star-level talent?
              I dont think Demar gets you star level talent. I think he can get you the assets to turn into that star either with coming out, or with a consolidation of the assets.

If Demar was 3 years younger add him to the NYK pick and maybe you get the star, but now he is looking at HUGE money and any teams possibly moving a star player would look to reload with youth.

And we do not have the assets to make that "star trade" happen, I cannot see any PFs possibly bein on the market that will push us into "contender" status with the assets we have.

I could see a 3 team trade.

IE:
              Demar to team a
              Asset to team b
              a young skilled PF, expiring and pick to toronto.

Comment

Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

I don't know... The market for DD is pretty slim, as he's got a very specific skillset which would only benefit a handful of teams.

Being that he isn't an analytics sweetheart, the market is drastically reduced, meaning we have less trade partners, and less return (as there is lower demand and devaluation of asset)

Teams that I could see wanting/doing well with Derozan:

Memphis
                Lakers
                Portland
                Charlotte
                Sacramento (only because they're trying to appease boogie)

And a few others, where he's less of a sure fit ( Denver, NOP, Utah)

Of those teams, the ones who have assets to give wouldn't be willing to part with them that easily, and the ones who's are willing have assets which aren't that enticing...

I could see something like this

Meyers Leonard, 2018 lottery protected first for DD and 2018 second rounder
                Last edited by e_wheazhy_; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 02:03 PM.
                A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Yep, I think we'll just re-sign him. Eventually we might use him in some trade for a bigger piece, when some star becomes available.

I could see a DeMar trade this year if such a star becomes available, DeMar + Knicks pick would be a sexy offer for a disgruntled star. But I don't see anyone like that.

Maybe Indiana starts to look to move George in a couple years? They are starting to look like Colangelo's Raptors with Bosh, getting older dudes who might be ok for a while and help make the playoffs, when they should be rebuilding and getting legit long term talent to convince George to stay.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                    Yep, I think we'll just re-sign him. Eventually we might use him in some trade for a bigger piece, when some star becomes available.

I could see a DeMar trade this year if such a star becomes available, DeMar + Knicks pick would be a sexy offer for a disgruntled star. But I don't see anyone like that.

Maybe Indiana starts to look to move George in a couple years? They are starting to look like Colangelo's Raptors with Bosh, getting older dudes who might be ok for a while and help make the playoffs, when they should be rebuilding and getting legit long term talent to convince George to stay.
                    who is going to want or need Demar at 24 million a year so bad that they will trade a star player for him?

Comment

e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                      I don't know... The market for DD is pretty slim, as he's got a very specific skillset which would only benefit a handful of teams.

Being that he isn't an analytics sweetheart, the market is drastically reduced, meaning we have less trade partners, and less return (as there is lower demand and devaluation of asset)

Teams that I could see wanting/doing well with Derozan:

Memphis
                      Lakers
                      Portland
                      Charlotte
                      Sacramento (only because they're trying to appease boogie)

And a few others, where he's less of a sure fit ( Denver, NOP, Utah)
                      I think Charlotte is the fit personally, but I think a third team is needed.

MKG, Williams and their pick for Demar.

Williams, JJ and Cash for Faried

we get MKG and Faried and a pick.

just an example not a proposal.
                      Last edited by Snooch; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

who is going to want or need Demar at 24 million a year so bad that they will trade a star player for him?
                        Wont get a star for him with that contract but we could get salary savings, young talent with potential & a possible pick.

Comment

I dont think Demar gets you star level talent. I think he can get you the assets to turn into that star either with coming out, or with a consolidation of the assets.

If Demar was 3 years younger add him to the NYK pick and maybe you get the star, but now he is looking at HUGE money and any teams possibly moving a star player would look to reload with youth.

And we do not have the assets to make that "star trade" happen, I cannot see any PFs possibly bein on the market that will push us into "contender" status with the assets we have.

I could see a 3 team trade.

IE:
                          Demar to team a
                          Asset to team b
                          a young skilled PF, expiring and pick to toronto.
                          I guess that's the point, if we're not getting a star in return there's not much point to trading him. We've got a full roster, or will soon enough, so any kind of two-for-one would result in some value-waste, and any picks would have to be lotto to recoup value and increase chances of trading for another star.

I think we do already have the assets to trade for a star-type PF when one comes available IMO - value contracts + the youth brigade + picks. I don't see us signing much of a star (superior to DD let's say) in 2016 even if we do create significant space so I'm failing to see the upside of dumping DD.

Comment

slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
                            Wont get a star for him with that contract but we could get salary savings, young talent with potential & a possible pick.
                            But we already have young talent with potential that needs to be developed (we can only send so many to the 905s), picks (more than we can use really), and no real need for salary savings (unless you're desperate for 2016 space, I'm not).

Comment

The only players available in 2016 FA that replacing DD with would legitimately upgrade the team are:

Durant, Horford and Dwight (although would need to do something with JV then).

- Durant we have no chance in hell of signing.
                              - Ditto for Dwight
                              - Horford would maybe be interested, although why would he want to sign with a high 40 win team that just lost their best scorer?

Comment

I guess that's the point, if we're not getting a star in return there's not much point to trading him. We've got a full roster, or will soon enough, so any kind of two-for-one would result in some value-waste, and any picks would have to be lotto to recoup value and increase chances of trading for another star.

I think we do already have the assets to trade for a star-type PF when one comes available IMO - value contracts + the youth brigade + picks. I don't see us signing much of a star (superior to DD let's say) in 2016 even if we do create significant space so I'm failing to see the upside of dumping DD.
                                It is not about trying to get "someone better than Demar" it is about making a better team.

Its no secret what demar brings, high volume inefficiency and terrible defense, he has been in the league for 6 years now. And yes he gives you 20ppg, but that is something that can be replaced with roster balance.

This team is not complete and far from a complete team, and keeping demar for nothing more than"we cant trade him for anything better than him" is a philosophy that lands you on the treadmill.

Comment

Working...
                                X