Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snooch wrote: View Post
    It is not about trying to get "someone better than Demar" it is about making a better team.

Its no secret what demar brings, high volume inefficiency and terrible defense, he has been in the league for 6 years now. And yes he gives you 20ppg, but that is something that can be replaced with roster balance.

This team is not complete and far from a complete team, and keeping demar for nothing more than"we cant trade him for anything better than him" is a philosophy that lands you on the treadmill.
    We have a deep well-balanced roster now, at least it looks that way to me. The goal now, to keep us off the treadmill, should be adding and retaining star-level talent. To me, that means consolidating some of our assets and playing with the big boys above the cap.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
      The only players available in 2016 FA that replacing DD with would legitimately upgrade the team are:

Durant, Horford and Dwight (although would need to do something with JV then).

- Durant we have no chance in hell of signing.
      - Ditto for Dwight
      - Horford would maybe be interested, although why would he want to sign with a high 40 win team that just lost their best scorer?
      I would argue that Demar is not our best scorer, merely our leading scorer.

Take demar away from this team, replace him with a player who is of higher efficiency but not a "star" and balance out the offensive attack and we are a better team.

If better offensive producers are allowed more offensive opportunities we become a better team. And if you add those pieces on smaller contracts for longer term then you are now more flexible too.

Add the pieces and demars 2 best attributes (fta's and 20ppg) will be absorbed by the community

Comment

who is going to want or need Demar at 24 million a year so bad that they will trade a star player for him?
        The cap was under 60 mil last year. It will be 110 mil in a couple years. 24 mil is the new 13 mil, which would've been a solid deal for DeMar in the past.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          We have a deep well-balanced roster now, at least it looks that way to me. The goal now, to keep us off the treadmill, should be adding and retaining star-level talent. To me, that means consolidating some of our assets and playing with the big boys above the cap.
          we have no starting power forward and depth at the sf spot is questionable at best.

We had huge holes and still have them, smaller, but we still have holes.

Retaining current players does not get us playing with the big boys in any way other that our salary

Comment

But we already have young talent with potential that needs to be developed (we can only send so many to the 905s), picks (more than we can use really), and no real need for salary savings (unless you're desperate for 2016 space, I'm not).
            I was just restating what Snooch said was DD value right now. If he we give him a large extension his trade value will be very similar. It doesn't make sense to trade DD right now and lose an asset for a minimal return.

Comment

I think Charlotte is the fit personally, but I think a third team is needed.

MKG, Williams and their pick for Demar.

Williams, JJ and Cash for Faried

we get MKG and Faried and a pick.

just an example not a proposal.
              Marvin Williams? Denver won't trade Faried for Marvin Williams.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                Marvin Williams? Denver won't trade Faried for Marvin Williams.
                depend on if tanking, i think marvin is expiring

Comment

we have no starting power forward and depth at the sf spot is questionable at best.

We had huge holes and still have them, smaller, but we still have holes.

Retaining current players does not get us playing with the big boys in any way other that our salary
                  What we don't have at power forward is a star - someone will be starting and producing for us regardless.

Small forward depth is not an issue in the least. We don't even have room for Daniels we are so deep on the wing.

Add a star at power forward and we should be at the level where we win enough games to send 3, if not 4, of our starters to allstar weekend.

Comment

slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
                    I was just restating what Snooch said was DD value right now. If he we give him a large extension his trade value will be very similar. It doesn't make sense to trade DD right now and lose an asset for a minimal return.
                    it will be easier to trade him now when his salary isn't 30% of the cap.

Comment

What we don't have at power forward is a star - someone will be starting and producing for us regardless.

Small forward depth is not an issue in the least. We don't even have room for Daniels we are so deep on the wing.

Add a star at power forward and we should be at the level where we win enough games to send 3, if not 4, of our starters to allstar weekend.
                      what the hell are you smoking?

what 3 starters are we sending to allstar weekend?

Lowry made it cause demar was out and he did everything
                      Demar made it by decision in an injury ridled east

Carrol might make allstar weekend(3 point comp) if the team changes the offense to the point where we can assist him on 95+ percent of his shots from the 3pt line. And if that happens that means less touches in iso situations for Demar. So Demars numbers drop, reducing his chances of making it.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                        The cap was under 60 mil last year. It will be 110 mil in a couple years. 24 mil is the new 13 mil, which would've been a solid deal for DeMar in the past.
                        No it wasn't it was 63M I believe.

But yeah 13M per year under last year's cap works out to about 22.3M under a 108M cap in 2017-18.

Comment

what the hell are you smoking?

what 3 starters are we sending to allstar weekend?

Lowry made it cause demar was out and he did everything
                          Demar made it by decision in an injury ridled east

Carrol might make allstar weekend(3 point comp) if the team changes the offense to the point where we can assist him on 95+ percent of his shots from the 3pt line. And if that happens that means less touches in iso situations for Demar. So Demars numbers drop, reducing his chances of making it.
                          Winning teams send their top players. It's as simple as that. If they have good seasons and we're on pace for 50+ wins again, we likely send 3 guys. It's just like the Hawks and their 4 last year. My bet would be Lowry, DeMar, Jonas, maybe Carroll if his numbers increase with us.

Comment

it will be easier to trade him now when his salary isn't 30% of the cap.
                            It is impossible for DD's salary to be 30% of the cap.

Comment

DanH corrected me on this before so I think I know what i'm talking about now, been reading through the actual CBA (not the Coon FAQ).

DeMar is technically eligible for 30% of the cap, but because of this:

* In general, the maximum player salaries are based on a 42.14% of Basketball Related Income (BRI)
                              Salary Cap (not on the 44.74% Salary Cap). For the 2014-15 season, the Salary Cap used for purposes of
                              calculating maximum player salaries is $58.984 million.
                              He's actually eligible for closer to about 28% of the cap.

So he can't make 30% of the cap, plus that 28% would be 28% of the 89M cap, and would be much less than that the following season when the cap rises to 108M.

Comment

depend on if tanking, i think marvin is expiring
                                Someone will offer more for Faried, no way they give him up for Marvin Williams. 76ers wanted to tank harder than anyone in history, and still they didn't just give Thad Young or Jrue Holiday to anyone for free.

Comment

Working...
                                X