No announcement yet.

Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a feeling someone is going to really overpay for Ross, especially if he doesn't suck this year.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      Last years first round killed any KD hopes. A good second round or ECF showing would have gone a long way to attracting free agents. In fact LMA might be a Raptor if they didn't have that first round
      How can you say that before we see how these guys perform THIS year? That's not relevant?

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        First, we probably can't land DD and JV for 38M combined. Maybe, but very probably not.

Second, if we did, we would have nowhere near the cap space needed to add a significant player.

The Spurs lost a crapload of depth, AND had two of their stars re-sign for a combined 9M, AND had the leverage of an RFA who would get paid way more than his cap hold AND had an UFA who chose to re-sign with them for less than he could get on the market. And were lucky enough to have cap space in a fairly shrunk cap year - not a lot of competition for talent.
        Good, veteran players signed with the Spurs, some for less than market value, for two reasons:

1. To be with a good program, surrounded by good people and
        2. For a chance to win.

The Raptors are very quickly developing a reputation as an up-and-coming team, in an up-and-coming city (country!), with good management and a loyal, die-hard fan base. Kyle re-signed. LaMarcus took a meeting. KD has let it be known that he grew up a Raptors fan. And everyone who signed announced their signings themselves ... with a "We The North" touch ...

Cool...

And yet some of you want to summarily jettison well-respected, high-end players before the new team, with defensive help, and a youth movement (including multiple picks for the next draft) plays a single game in 2015-16.

You're smart, knowledgeable guys. I know that. But still, I find this very strange ... And I feel it necessary to say that I hope to God our players - indeed, players league-wide, and especially all those who might consider coming here soon - aren't listening.
        Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Tue Jul 28, 2015, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
          How can you say that before we see how these guys perform THIS year? That's not relevant?
          It's relevant, but one year in the second round wouldn't mean much in terms of changing perception, which flipped in the worst possible way when we got swept and lost to a lower seed for the second year in a row. At this point I think we need to reach the ECF at minimum if we even want to have a conversation with KD.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
            Good, veteran players signed with the Spurs, some for less than market value, for two reasons:

1. To be with a good program, surrounded by good people and
            2. For a chance to win.

The Raptors are very quickly developing a reputation as an up-and-coming team, in an up-and-coming city (country!), with good management and a loyal, die-hard fan base. Kyle re-signed. LaMarcus took a meeting. KD has let it be known that he grew up a Raptors fan. And everyone who signed announced their signings themselves ... with a "We The North" touch ...

Cool...

And yet some of you want to summarily jettison well-respected, high-end players before the new team, with defensive help, and a youth movement (including multiple picks for the next draft) plays a single game in 2015-16.

You're smart, knowledgeable guys. I know that. But still, I find this very strange ... And I feel it necessary to say that I hope to God our players - indeed, players league-wide, and especially all those who might consider coming here soon - aren't listening.
            You are dramatically underestimating the gap between the Spurs and the Raptors in terms of perception. Aside from the five titles and the incredible track record of organizational excellence, Gregg Popovich was just voted by players leaguewide as the coach they would most like to play for.

Casey wasn't on the ballot, and one of his own players, when asked about him after the playoffs, gave him the ringing endorsement of "I respect him as a man".

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              You are dramatically underestimating the gap between the Spurs and the Raptors in terms of perception. Aside from the five titles and the incredible track record of organizational excellence, Gregg Popovich was just voted by players leaguewide as the coach they would most like to play for.

Casey wasn't on the ballot, and one of his own players, when asked about him after the playoffs, gave him the ringing endorsement of "I respect him as a man".
              With respect, I don't think I under-estimated anything. The Spurs are a well-established, top-echelon franchise. The Raptors have to be considered "up-and coming", though. Nor do I confuse Popovich with Casey. Casey has more help now. TSN now reports that more coaching help is coming. But if the re-configured team doesn't perform (and possibly in any event), I expect Casey to be relieved of his duties, when just the right guy becomes available. Or one of the guys on the staff will take over ... maybe until that other guy comes.

But Casey IS good people (by all accounts).

And that's the thing. I love the discussions.

But I hate the disrespect. The impatience. And those who think they have crystal balls ... or bigger balls ... or both ... and infallible insights ... instead of just fascinating ideas worth discussing.

But it's the disrespect I dislike most. And I can't see how fans being disrespectful to our own guys (unless they're clearly pricks) helps anyone. Or, at least, anyone in the North ...
              Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Tue Jul 28, 2015, 02:08 AM.

Comment

• "Batum is an impending unrestricted free agent on a borderline playoff team, diving into an unprecedented cap frenzy in which two-dozen suitors could offer $20 million per season. Batum’s people have already made noise about how much Batum would like to play in Toronto, a city that appeals to his international roots, per several league sources. "

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/go...=story-twitter

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  First, we probably can't land DD and JV for 38M combined. Maybe, but very probably not.

Second, if we did, we would have nowhere near the cap space needed to add a significant player.

The Spurs lost a crapload of depth, AND had two of their stars re-sign for a combined 9M, AND had the leverage of an RFA who would get paid way more than his cap hold AND had an UFA who chose to re-sign with them for less than he could get on the market. And were lucky enough to have cap space in a fairly shrunk cap year - not a lot of competition for talent.
                  I think Masai sits with his staff and considers what players might be targeted over the next 18 months.

Then he gathers the coaches, over some weeks, and discusses a plan for now - and with an upgrade.

Then I think he sits with Kyle, JV and Demar and (and agents, possibly), singly, or together, and discusses how much they want to stay together, to see what they can accomplish.

If DD, KL or JV won't consider leaving Masai with cap room, then so be it. Whatever happens next, It's kind of "on them".

But (unless Masai already knows) I would do something like this before making any assumptions about what can be done ...
                  Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Tue Jul 28, 2015, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• Today was a great day for KD to go to a Jays game with PP.

If he was impressed with Prices ovation, I wonder if he could imagine his own?

Comment

• #Durant2DeRaps2016
                      #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• KD to Toronto is still very dream like.. but what if Presti panics and makes Durant available in a trade at the deadline? Assume he's talked to Durant and feels that Durant is not going to stick around. Rather than lose him for nothing he swings a trade.

Would anyone give up prospects/talent to rent KD for a couple of months, like the Jays did with David Price?

That could mean departing with the NY 2016 pick and possibly someone like Carroll or Joseph to make salaries work.

Having KD on the roster doesn't make them instant contenders this year.. but they'll have his bird rights.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          KD to Toronto is still very dream like.. but what if Presti panics and makes Durant available in a trade at the deadline? Assume he's talked to Durant and feels that Durant is not going to stick around. Rather than lose him for nothing he swings a trade.

Would anyone give up prospects/talent to rent KD for a couple of months, like the Jays did with David Price?

That could mean departing with the NY 2016 pick and possibly someone like Carroll or Joseph to make salaries work.

Having KD on the roster doesn't make them instant contenders this year.. but they'll have his bird rights.
                          I would gladly give Demar, Bruno and some picks to get Durant, cause i would feel very confident in being able to resign him by giving him more money than anyone else and a supporting cause that (outside of westbrook and harden) is equal to or better than anyone he has had yet, with room to improve.

Lowry/Cujo/Wright
                          Ross/Powell
                          DC/JJ
                          Ppat/Scola
                          JC/Bebe

If Cujo works you have the option to move Lowry for more talent to surround KD
                          And then add Durant?

No Brainer

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                            I would gladly give Demar, Bruno and some picks to get Durant, cause i would feel very confident in being able to resign him by giving him more money than anyone else and a supporting cause that (outside of westbrook and harden) is equal to or better than anyone he has had yet, with room to improve.

Lowry/Cujo/Wright
                            Ross/Powell
                            DC/JJ
                            Ppat/Scola
                            JC/Bebe

If Cujo works you have the option to move Lowry for more talent to surround KD
                            And then add Durant?

No Brainer
                            Problem is that DD is also a free agent, and I doubt Presti would want to take back a rental.. unless its purely to free up more salary. I'd gladly move DD but I don't think OKC would take him.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              Problem is that DD is also a free agent, and I doubt Presti would want to take back a rental.. unless its purely to free up more salary. I'd gladly move DD but I don't think OKC would take him.
                              Don't think OKC would want DD either, unless they were still planning to compete after trading Durant. But even then it's a risk cause he's a UFA and has no connection to OKC whatsoever, could easily walk. Although OKC did make a similar move when they dealt Harden as Kevin Martin only had a year left on his deal. Of course Harden wasn't a superstar yet like KD is.

I don't see Durant being available via trade unless OKC has a serious injury and they struggle to start the season. Their team is loaded and will likely win 60 games and make a deep playoff run.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                                Don't think OKC would want DD either, unless they were still planning to compete after trading Durant. But even then it's a risk cause he's a UFA and has no connection to OKC whatsoever, could easily walk. Although OKC did make a similar move when they dealt Harden as Kevin Martin only had a year left on his deal. Of course Harden wasn't a superstar yet like KD is.

I don't see Durant being available via trade unless OKC has a serious injury and they struggle to start the season. Their team is loaded and will likely win 60 games and make a deep playoff run.
                                DD + KD is bad
                                RW + DD is comical

Comment

Working...
                                X