Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Who was using this logic though? I guess someone was but I definitely wasn't.

You can't keep lumping all the people who support DeRozan into the same group and assigning the same philosophies to all of them.

I don't do that with the group of people who don't like DeRozan's game. For example, I understand that while Snooch and someone like DanH both want DD gone, they have very different perspectives on the team and even reasons for why they don't want DD here.
    The 2nd paragraph happens all the time, it just happened to me yesterday when a poster said I compared JV to Shaq. I've never done that but I'm pretty sure someone else did.
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
      I think "He is very good at getting to the line and that's it" is remotely close to DeMar doesn't have value.
      no, not true, I debate the value of what he brings.

He scores 20ppg, that is without argue, that is value in and of itself.

I merely point out that his scoring is inefficient, and a large amount of that is due to our system and his opportunity.

Comment

• I think we should sign marvin the martian to a 4 year deal next off-season, i heard he's a free agent, we can lock up that 2 spot if DD decides to leave

#JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
          This is what I was referring to as well. Dan's primary motivation for wanting to trade DD is that he thinks he's going to cost way more than he can actually earn. I imagine if DD were willing to sign for 15M per year, DanH might be inclined to keep him (in fact iirc DanH actually said that about 16M in one of the threads here).

However Snooch just wants DD gone at all costs, and it has nothing to do with his contract. I've known Snooch (not personally, just known of him) for a while actually because he used to post on RealGM and got banned from there for constantly trolling (mostly regarding DeRozan), and the guy just plain finds the idea of DeRozan being on the team revolting.

Maybe I'm wrong and DanH wants DD gone at all costs too (salary be damned) but I think the two of them have different perspectives there. I also find that DanH does a much better job of supporting his opinions, whereas Snooch will just make sarcastic comments.
          you are again wrong on all counts of both my posts and what happened over at realgm,

Apparently, according to emails, I was banned because I scolded a mod for allowing insults to be thrown at me and not punishing the posters responsibe, and deleting my posts for posting stats against the same posters claims about demar.

Didnt you know, showing demars shooting percentages from the midrange as being below average is derailing and trolling in a thread dedicated to demar being one of the best midrange shooters the game has ever seen. They claimed positivity threads are meant for positivity and I should have created my own threads showing that he was a bad shooter.

But that is enough of that place it was stupid and a joke upon itself.

In regards to my stances, I have always attempted to support any basis of any opinions with some sort of statistic and comparison.

Conclusion,

Demar is only productive through high usage

Demars best attibute is getting to the line

After that Demars skills could be replaced by a rebalancing of the offensive structure through giving more touches to higher efficiecy players

That demar is not worth trading getting a superstar in a trade, he is not getting you what some are asking for.

Demar second best trait is his "midrange shot" which, according to the numbers, he is acutally below average in terms of percentages

Demar is not good and handling the ball

Demar passes only when he is forced to, a smart defense is to stay at home on his teamates and stay close to demar and dont bite on his fakes and you will render him mostly useless as his shooting percentages are low, he has very poor playmaking abilities and his ballhandling and craftiness is not good enough to "make it happen for himself and his team on his own"

But then someone like you will debate against that with

"Demar shouldnt even be in the league he sucks so much" and attempt to discredit anything I by responding like a child as opposed to any sort of actual debate against anything that I had spoken.

Comment

• Assuming DD and JV at their cap holds, can anyone ballpark how much salary we'd need to cut to make a max offer to KD?

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              Assuming DD and JV at their cap holds, can anyone ballpark how much salary we'd need to cut to make a max offer to KD?
              DanH broke down our cap situation in 2016 within the stickied "Salary Cap thread".

Here is the relevant post with regards to signing KD:

DanH wrote: View Post
              Since I've seen some talk and even a thread on the topic, here is what our 2016 summer looks like right now.

We have 9 players locked into contracts (KL, DC, CJ, PP, BB, BeBe, Bruno, Wright, Powell).

We also have two draft picks (for this calc I've assumed 20th and 10th overall picks).

We also have several free agents. DD, JV, Ross, Scola, JJ and de Colo. Only 4 spots for them right now.

Cap situation:

Keep all cap holds: 8M over cap
              Waive JJ, Scola and Nando: 2.3M cap room
              Also waive Ross: 11.2M in cap room
              Also waive DD: 25.4M in cap room (enough for a max offer on Durant, for example)

If JV and/or Ross are extended those extensions eat into our cap room if they are bigger than their cap holds (11.7M and 8.9M respectively).

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                Assuming DD and JV at their cap holds, can anyone ballpark how much salary we'd need to cut to make a max offer to KD?
                $47M in guaranteed money plus next year draft pick cap holds.
                $25M in cap holds for DD and JV.

Biyombo has to not pick up his player option of $2.9M
                Ross has to be renounced.

That is $72 plus draft pick cap holds of lets estimate another $4M so $76M.

Cap estimated at $89M.

So Raps would need to cut about $12M.

Not exact to the dollar but gives you an idea.

Comment

• Think people are putting the cart wayyyy before the horse here.

IF by some miracle KD wants to come here, Masai will figure out a way to do it without totally gutting the roster. I feel like DeRozan would gladly take a paycut if it meant getting Durant... the guy wants to win. Valanciunas I'm not sure and it has nothing to do with him being selfish, just simply the fact that the team hasn't really allowed him as much freedom as he'd probably like so I'm sure he's at least entertaining the idea of leaving quite a bit.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    Keep moving the goal posts and putting a new twist on it.

No one has said that DD is a cancer on the court.

The topic of discussion has always been who is a better fit with Durant in the very hypothetical scenario where he joins the Raptors.

Apparently the argument for DeRozan boils down to he has a better name and he is more fun to hang with at OVOfest.... meanwhile no one mentions PP hanging with him at Jays game. So yeah.
                    Seems to me your topic has "always been" ...

"Why Demar Derozan is, for any and all reasons we choose to designate and accept, and under any and all circumstances you can possibly name, a mediocre player and a lousy fit for the Toronto Raptors, going forward (and backward)."

I think it's a predictable and dreary, one-note tune. But don't let me stop you .... "Play on!"

Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sat Aug 8, 2015, 02:56 AM.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      $47M in guaranteed money plus next year draft pick cap holds.
                      $25M in cap holds for DD and JV.

Biyombo has to not pick up his player option of $2.9M
                      Ross has to be renounced.

That is $72 plus draft pick cap holds of lets estimate another $4M so $76M.

Cap estimated at $89M.

So Raps would need to cut about $12M.

Not exact to the dollar but gives you an idea.
                      I thought the cap is expected to go over $100M for 2016-17? There might be more $ and options ...

Maybe we could get someone to talk to KD about all this stuff (but discreetly - like at a social event, B-ball camp, or All-Star game)
                      Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sat Aug 8, 2015, 03:30 AM.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                        I thought the cap was going over $100M for 2016-17? And if we have KD at the 3, can we not get along without Demarre (and so get a pick(s) for him)? Seems like there might be options, anyway ... (Well, unless you believe that every scenario simply must start with dumping DD to be worth discussing ...
                        That's 2017-18. 2016 is 89M.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          That's 2017-18. 2016 is 89M.
                          Oops. Thanks. So .... I guess that's why some "max" players (like LeBron) are signing 1-year deals - to defer their biggest pay-days ('til when the cap might hit $105-$110M)?

Makes you think, eh?
                          Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sat Aug 8, 2015, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Oops. Thanks. So .... I guess that's why some "max" players (like LeBron) are signing 1-year deals - to defer their biggest pay-days ('til when the cap might hit $105-$110M)?

Makes you think, eh?
                            Yeah that's part of it. For others, like Durant, not only would a one year deal allow the cap to rise, but they can move from a mid-max to a true max free agent. Huge salary difference (25M versus 35M).
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• OK - that's it. I've got to stop engaging in this. So to anyone who says:

"DD will never be able to do this (well), or get any better at that, or that this or that accolade, skill or accomplishment means nothing and, especially, that we ought to decide to dump him before the season starts - right now, if somehow possible, I now say:

Maybe you're right. But I am confident you have decided, at the very least, precipitously ... and so - if for no other reason - unreasonably.

(And maybe Masai and co. will be more creative with numbers and contracts, schemes and the roster than even Dan can imagine ... or maybe time will open a door where we now see only a wall.)

Comment

Seems to me your topic has "always been" ...

"Why Demar Derozan is, for any and all reasons we choose to designate and accept, and under any and all circumstances you can possibly name, a mediocre player and a lousy fit for the Toronto Raptors, going forward (and backward)."

I think it's a predictable and dreary, one-note tune. But don't let me stop you .... "Play on!"

Yeah...that's it.

Take swipes at me versus acknowledging in the train of discussion that post was a part of some Derozan fanatics actually believe DD is a better fit next to KD rather than a 3 and D like Carroll.

Bloody typical.
                                Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Aug 8, 2015, 12:29 PM. Reason: clarity: .....next to KD rather than.....

Comment

Working...
                                X