Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BrydenB wrote: View Post
    Here's my main question about Demar's upcoming free agency: Does Masai have to re-sign him? The raptors are finally being taken seriously as a franchise and outside of Toronto I think DD is viewed as a max guy. Does it hurt the team's image if they let the only "superstar/max player" who wants to stay in Toronto (so DD says) leave? I can see Kenny and Chuck talking shit on NBA on TNT already. Not to mention Lowry and DD have become very close. Do the Raps get the same effort from KL of Demar is gone?

With that question being posed I'll say this for my own perspective: I think the real reason Lowry + Bench crushes all other lineups is because they subtracted Demar. I truly think this franchise is better without him.
    Winning trumps everything. If the Raptors minus DD win (get to 50+ wins, and second/third round appearances in the playoffs), then nobody will say boo about DD not being around. It's a tough call for Masai but if he's analytically minded then he may have to make that call. It worked out when they shipped out Rudy and he was more of a friend to Kyle than DD is. Rudy is Kyle's son's godfather.

Comment

Here's my main question about Demar's upcoming free agency: Does Masai have to re-sign him? The raptors are finally being taken seriously as a franchise and outside of Toronto I think DD is viewed as a max guy. Does it hurt the team's image if they let the only "superstar/max player" who wants to stay in Toronto (so DD says) leave? I can see Kenny and Chuck talking shit on NBA on TNT already. Not to mention Lowry and DD have become very close. Do the Raps get the same effort from KL of Demar is gone?

With that question being posed I'll say this for my own perspective: I think the real reason Lowry + Bench crushes all other lineups is because they subtracted Demar. I truly think this franchise is better without him.
      Kyle plus bench had a plus-16 net rating on the year.

DeMar plus bench had a plus-14 net rating on the year.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Kyle plus bench had a plus-16 net rating on the year.

DeMar plus bench had a plus-14 net rating on the year.
        To add to this, Lowry/DeMar/Ross/Patterson/JV had a +30.2 net rating as well.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
          To add to this, Lowry/DeMar/Ross/Patterson/JV had a +30.2 net rating as well.
          Interesting... I guess my hypothesis is still that DD's production can be replicated at a fraction of the cost. Or at least the money he's asking for can be spent in a better way at a position of greater need.

Comment

Interesting... I guess my hypothesis is still that DD's production can be replicated at a fraction of the cost. Or at least the money he's asking for can be spent in a better way at a position of greater need.
            I don't completely disagree. I've argued myself there's a case for not re-signing him for the max. I don't think it's as guaranteed that his max contract can be traded later if needed.

Comment

• I have a feeling he resigns at lower than the max.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                I have a feeling he resigns at lower than the max.
                He'd be crazy to not take the max if it's offered especially given that there is a LOT of money going around this off-season and not a lot of people to spend it on.

Unless the only team offering it is of the Lakers variety.
                "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
                  He'd be crazy to not take the max if it's offered especially given that there is a LOT of money going around this off-season and not a lot of people to spend it on.

Not sure why so many are discounting the Lakers. Randle, Clarkson and Russell are talented, Jeanie Buss coming back to run the team, possible top 3 pick this year and $70 million in cap space. There is a real possibility that they're a contender coming into next season. The Lakers have done things like this before.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                    Not sure why so many are discounting the Lakers. Randle, Clarkson and Russell are talented, Jeanie Buss coming back to run the team, possible top 3 pick this year and $70 million in cap space. There is a real possibility that they're a contender coming into next season. The Lakers have done things like this before.
                    Why do people discount the LAkers? If they improve by 10 games next year they will still be 20 games away from a playoff spot. Thanks to the Nick Young video leaking they've ostracized one of their young players. There's no leadership in the locker room. Byron Scott is an awful head coach.

We're talking about the peak of Demar's career. Does he really want to spend his best seasons out of the playoffs, so that he can become a poor man's Kobe?

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post

Gut feeling tells me he'll take a slight home town discount to get the fifth year

His max is ~25M right? Wouldn't be too shocked if Masai convinced him to go for 5years/110M

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                        Why do people discount the LAkers? If they improve by 10 games next year they will still be 20 games away from a playoff spot. Thanks to the Nick Young video leaking they've ostracized one of their young players. There's no leadership in the locker room. Byron Scott is an awful head coach.

We're talking about the peak of Demar's career. Does he really want to spend his best seasons out of the playoffs, so that he can become a poor man's Kobe?
                        Very good point.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                          Gut feeling tells me he'll take a slight home town discount to get the fifth year

His max is ~25M right? Wouldn't be too shocked if Masai convinced him to go for 5years/110M
                          I wouldn't be surprised. He signed a 9.5 mil deal while all his peers were geting 12 mil.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            I wouldn't be surprised. He signed a 9.5 mil deal while all his peers were geting 12 mil.
                            Which of his "peers"(Rick Ross voice) are you talking about?

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              At that time the 9.5 was an overpay of about 3 mil...

Dude sees green for sure. As should every pro player except when chasing a ring

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                                Which of his "peers"(Rick Ross voice) are you talking about?
                                Brandon Jennings, Ty Lawson, Steph(couldn't stay on the court) etc.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X