Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's play devils advocate here:

JV aggregate first four seasons, til age 23: 18.6 PER, .166 WS/48, 15.5 pts, 11.3 boards, .9 assists, .5 steals, 1.6 blocks, 2.1 turnovers per 36 on 60.6% true shooting and 18.8% usage.

Cousins aggregate first four seasons, til age 23: 20.6 PER, .095 WS/48, 21.1 points, 12.1 boards, 2.9 assists, 1.6 steals, 1.2 blocks, 3.7 turnovers per 36 on 51.8% true shooting and 29.4% usage.

Griffin aggregate first four seasons, til age 24: 22.9 PER, .183 WS/48, 21.6 points, 10.3 boards, 3.7 assists, 1.0 steals, 0.6 blocks, 2.6 turnovers per 36 on 56.5% true shooting and 27.1% usage.

JV fourth season, age 23: 22.6 PER, .211 WS/48, 17.8 points, 12.6 boards, 1.0 assists, 0.6 steals, 1.8 blocks, 2.0 turnovers per 36 on 61.0% true shooting and 20.9% usage, +18 net rating.

Cousins fourth season, age 23: 26.1 PER, .166 WS/48, 25.3 points, 13 boards, 3.2 assists, 1.7 steals, 1.4 blocks, 3.9 turnovers per 36 on 55.5% true shooting and 32.7% usage, +6 net rating.

Griffin fourth season, age 24: 23.9 PER, .205 WS/48, 24.3 points, 9.5 boards, 3.9 assists, 1.2 steals, .6 blocks, 2.8 turnovers per 36 on 58.3% true shooting and 29.0% usage, +11 net rating.

While JV looks like the worst of the three, his usage is also far, far lower and a lot of the areas the others look better than him are usage related. He also has the lowest turnover rate among the 3 and is the youngest currently. It's no stretch to say that JV could get to the level of those other guys if given the offensive opportunities to shine.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
      While I agree with the numbers, I think cousins has an array of moves in his arsenal. He is a complete package. You can't say that about JV, yet he has a couple of moves and a lot of hustles. Two different players and I wanna see them get paired up and surround them with dead eye 3 point shooters.
      I'd be fine with that, but yeah, I would not give JV up for Cousins, especially since Sacto would probably want more on top of that.

And still....Cousin's is a nutcase. Not sure in general how much I want him around. I'd be cool with the experiment of pairing him with JV but ideally without having to give too much up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

While I agree with the numbers, I think cousins has an array of moves in his arsenal. He is a complete package. You can't say that about JV, yet he has a couple of moves and a lot of hustles. Two different players and I wanna see them get paired up and surround them with dead eye 3 point shooters.
        That is basically the big advantage Cousins has, he is an extremely mobile big.

Yes, I would love to see a Cousin/JV front court, as long as they hold their own defensively, that would be a scary pair.

Comment

• JV this year, as a 23-year old with limited opportunities because our offense didn't use him well, was 10th in TS%, 5th in ORB%, 8th in TRB%, 8th in ORtg, top 15 in PER and WS/48.

Let's not sell this guy short.
          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
            That is basically the big advantage Cousins has, he is an extremely mobile big.

Yes, I would love to see a Cousin/JV front court, as long as they hold their own defensively, that would be a scary pair.
            Yea... But if OKC successfully beat Warriors in that series, I'm calling for the death of small ball. The way OKC beat the Warriors was by attacking their small ball line up on boards and inside the paint.

Comment

• Purely hypothetical, but it would be pretty entertaining to see how Cousins would react to only getting 9 FGA every game.
              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Yea... But if OKC successfully beat Warriors in that series, I'm calling for the death of small ball. The way OKC beat the Warriors was by attacking their small ball line up on boards and inside the paint.
                Thats exactly how you beat small ball, beat them up in the paint and on the glass, you don't go small just to match up. Warriors are really one of the few teams that can pull off small ball because of Green. Adams and Kanter are going to be key in that series.

Comment

• Best Center in the league
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                    Then you're wrong.

Look, you have to put what JV was doing in historical context.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...=&order_by=per

There's the list of guys 7ft tall who put up a 25+ PER in the playoffs before 25. And JV keeps popping up on lists with those type of guys. It's time to realize what we have on our hands here. This guy is the real deal.
                    You're really serious about this eh?? damn.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                      Purely hypothetical, but it would be pretty entertaining to see how Cousins would react to only getting 9 FGA every game.
                      I agree ... except I don't' think it'd be pretty.
                      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• I don't care how big a mess any team is, if Cousins was the best C in the league his team would at least compete for the playoffs.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          I don't care how big a mess any team is, if Cousins was the best C in the league his team would at least compete for the playoffs.

This I actually agree with. It's not about even making the playoffs but competing for a playoff spot.

I would love to see a JV/Cousins front court pairing though.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• the only hope we have of getting a top 5 guy to work with group we have now is Carmelo Anthony and have him play the 4..if he is willing to leave the comforts of New York.. Ross + 2016 27th + lower of our or LA clippers 1 round..
                            I am not a Carmelo fan but he give us the #1 option with lowry in his prime years..

Team
                            Lowry
                            Derozan
                            Carroll
                            Carmelo
                            JV

Bench
                            PP
                            Biz
                            Powell
                            Joseph
                            JJ

Wright
                            Bebe
                            1st round 9th pick
                            Bruno

Comment

• 15strong wrote: View Post
                              the only hope we have of getting a top 5 guy to work with group we have now is Carmelo Anthony and have him play the 4..if he is willing to leave the comforts of New York.. Ross + 2016 27th + lower of our or LA clippers 1 round..
                              I am not a Carmelo fan but he give us the #1 option with lowry in his prime years..

Team
                              Lowry
                              Derozan
                              Carroll
                              Carmelo
                              JV

Bench
                              PP
                              Biz
                              Powell
                              Joseph
                              JJ

Wright
                              Bebe
                              1st round 9th pick
                              Bruno
                              Hell no.

Comment

• We already have 2 ball dominant guards now you wanna add Carmelo. It's gong to be lIke the Rudy gay Era but worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X