Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    My thing is, Letting DeMar walk doesn't give us a lot of cap space, but what if it gives us enough to net us a reasonable starting PF? Not the All-Star most people want, but someone decent to help JV out?

Is that PF upgrade + Ross starting better than DeMar at the max and having to rely on trades to add anything else?
    We won't have max space this offseason, but that's theoretically $20M+ more in cap space they'll have for 4 additional offseasons after that. (depending on how Masai chooses to spend it)

It's pretty clear they've hit the ceiling of this current iteration of the Raptors. If they only win 48 games next year and switch up the formula slightly to allow for a higher future potential it wouldn't be a disappointment to me.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      Isnt the cap going to rise for the next couple years? A max this year wont be the max next and so on right?
      It's estimated to rise to $108M then it drops. Then who knows.
      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        My thing is, Letting DeMar walk doesn't give us a lot of cap space, but what if it gives us enough to net us a reasonable starting PF? Not the All-Star most people want, but someone decent to help JV out?

Is that PF upgrade + Ross starting better than DeMar at the max and having to rely on trades to add anything else?
        I don't think the all star PF is an option in free agency. I think you can bring in some lower tiered options this offseason but you aren't landing that quick fix because there just aren't guys available. Keeping the flexibility moving forward, using the draft as picks or trade assets - this is more important to me than any perceived poor asset management or another guy walking away from Toronto.

Teletovic, Powell, Ilyasova, Marvin Williams are more in line as realistic options. Horford isn't leaving Atlanta and I doubt Gasol comes here - after that there isn't a clear PF upgrade in free agency.

Patrick Patterson is likely the starting PF next season, with a rookie like Skal as the long term starter, so a guy like Teletovic or Powell gives a solid but unspectacular option to help hold down the rotation until a prospect develops or a better option comes along. Carroll will likely get small ball minutes beside Ross/Norman.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          Demar's agent might disagree. Loyal until slighted? Other teams with sweet tongues can tell Demar how they think he's worth more than they can offer and that the Raps obviously don't appreciate him like they do since we could give him more. Who knows what will be said or what impact it could have. The 5th year might be the only real issue for Demar.

Personally, I don't think Demar will be worth the money in any year of these $20M+ contracts. Rather have Biyombo back and start Ross than give Demar that much.
          yeah, obviously.

I don't want Derozan at $25M, let alone 34.

In my opinion we should offer him at most an average of 20 - 22M/year and if he doesn't like it he can go play in LA. He is not good enough to be your only max guy, but that's the scenario we'd be in.

While I don't know all the cap implications for the next 4 years, and it's possible it might not make any practical difference, i do know that dealing with a 20M contract will be easier than dealing with a 30M one if something is to be done later.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
            Really. we have to offer the 5 year max. I don't even think you can offer a 5 year deal that's not max, which takes us completely out of the advantage point above other teams. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So essentially it's 5 year max for 144 million or you lose him.
            Rather lose him than pay him that, is my point.

Comment

• One thing for sure we need to get some actual shooters.

Ross is shoting 28.6 on wide open 3 in the playoffs and 2pat is shooting 31.0 on wide open 3s.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Really. we have to offer the 5 year max. I don't even think you can offer a 5 year deal that's not max, which takes us completely out of the advantage point above other teams. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

So essentially it's 5 year max for 144 million or you lose him.
                Nah, that's a rule that applies to max extensions of rookie scale contracts - to get the 5th year, you have to be the "designated player" for the team, and that requires you to offer the max extension. Happened to Faried a couple seasons ago (had to shrink his deal to 4 years).

With Bird Rights, we can offer 5 years whether the salary is the minimum or the max or anything in between.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
                  It's estimated to rise to $108M then it drops. Then who knows.
                  Yep. 92M, 108M, 100M, 102M, 107M.

Average over those 5 years is pretty much 100M dead on. So judge any contracts in the context of a 100M cap.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    Nah, that's a rule that applies to max extensions of rookie scale contracts - to get the 5th year, you have to be the "designated player" for the team, and that requires you to offer the max extension. Happened to Faried a couple seasons ago (had to shrink his deal to 4 years).

With Bird Rights, we can offer 5 years whether the salary is the minimum or the max or anything in between.
                    Oh that's right. Faried's deal is how I remember that.

So basically Masai's window of negotiation is between 110/4 to 144/5.

I'd be alright with a 125/5 with an intention to move him down the road.

Comment

• I hope demar signs with LA so he can go replace kobe.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        One thing for sure we need to get some actual shooters.

Ross is shoting 28.6 on wide open 3 in the playoffs and 2pat is shooting 31.0 on wide open 3s.
                        Oh, come on. You're better than this.

Ross is 2/7 on wide open 3s(28.6%), and 12/28(42.9%!!!) on open 3s. 40% on open and wide open 3s.
                        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Looking Ahead: 2016 Free Agency

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          One thing for sure we need to get some actual shooters.

The real problem with our shooting issues is having a shooting guard that can't shoot while playing 35-40 mins. No point in pointing the finger at a "microwave" type of player that comes into the game for 20 mins.

Also, if you are gonna rely on 3 pointers to rack up points you have to have a rhythm throughout the game for shooters to get going. Can't have them stand in a corner and dribble dribble dribble shoot long twos and kick it out once in a while to keep the defence honest.

It's an open secret our offence has no flow no rhythm to it.
                          Last edited by ball4life; Fri May 20, 2016, 10:33 AM.

Comment

The real problem with our shooting issues is having a shooting guard that can't shoot while playing 35-40 mins. No point in pointing the finger at a "microwave" type of player that comes into the game for 20 mins.

Also, if you are gonna rely on 3 pointers to rack up points you have to have a rhythm throughout the game for shooters to get going. Can't have them stand in a corner and dribble dribble dribble shoot long twos and kick it out once in a while to keep the defence honest.

It's an open secret our offence has no flow no rhythm to it.
                            Our offense is depressing to watch.

Comment

• Billy103 wrote: View Post
                              Our offense is depressing to watch.
                              Especially because we don't have any real star players to make the one on ones half descent to watch.

If we are not gonna get a star, I like the Atlanta/ Boston approach where you build a system and try to win with it until you get a star and incorporate them into a style Cavs are playing now.

The fact that we are deep in the playoffs and half of Canada is paying attention, a pretty offence fun to watch would have attracted and retained a much wider audience to the game in Canada. This is truly a missed opportunity in terms of growth of the game here.

Comment

• Forget Demar. These playoffs arent an anomaly. Hes never shot well and doesnt offer much else. Even his only strength - getting to the rim has gone out the window. He rarely dunks or gets alley oops like he used to. Hes the ricky romero.2 Its like after that yankee series where they figured out romeros "tell" and he was never the same. When he drives hes looking for a foul more than trying to make a basket. With drives/dunks his forte how many offensive charges has he got? Rarely from what I see. like I was saying he should be way more aggressive and dumping on guys all day offensive charges be damned put some fear back in defenses. Then theres his defense...

Isnt Pau UFA? I think hed be great with JV for a yr or two while we groom a young pf.

Comment

Working...
                                X