Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    Ok I'm just going to say it now. Flame if you want but it's the truth.

Jonas Valanciunas is the best player on the team. If he was used properly it would become obvious, but many of us can see it already in the limited playing time and role he gets.

The stupidest thing about it is that if we used him more it would actually benefit everyone else as well. More space for Lowry and DD to operate, cleaner looks for our shooters, etc. Instead we have him on the bench so we can play 2Pat (who isn't even a big PF for fuck sakes) at center.
    Its easliy a top 10 reason I want Demar moved, a pick and roll game featuring Lowry and JV with guys like Ross and Carrol out on the wings would be a deadly offense imo. one that would have sustained success even into playoffs.

Comment

• Somewhere Shaq is watching all this unfold and is wishing his rookie season was 2012 instead of 1992. Every night is a feast.

Comment

Ok I'm just going to say it now. Flame if you want but it's the truth.

Jonas Valanciunas is the best player on the team. If he was used properly it would become obvious, but many of us can see it already in the limited playing time and role he gets.

The stupidest thing about it is that if we used him more it would actually benefit everyone else as well. More space for Lowry and DD to operate, cleaner looks for our shooters, etc. Instead we have him on the bench so we can play 2Pat (who isn't even a big PF for fuck sakes) at center.
        Last season prior to first game SSH got the oppurtunity to ask questions of MU and DC....what question do you think would be the most effective to ask them this season if the oppurtunity presents itself? ( I'm being serious I think if someone can ask the right question framed in the right light it should put them on the defensive and hopefully allow them to consider that this end of game philosophy may not be best suited for our roster )

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
          Its easliy a top 10 reason I want Demar moved, a pick and roll game featuring Lowry and JV with guys like Ross and Carrol out on the wings would be a deadly offense imo. one that would have sustained success even into playoffs.
          You don't need DeMar moved to allow JV to be featured more you just need to change the offense. I think Lowry and DD recognize JV's talent but the problem is this philosophy that guards need to generate all the points.

And DeMar is just as good as Lowry at running the pick and roll anyway.

DeMar generated 0.79 PPP as a pick and roll ball-handler last year, Lowry was at 0.82 PPP.

In 2013-14 DeRozan was #2 in the league in PPP as a pick and roll ball-handler at 1.16 PPP. I think there would just need to be more emphasis in the offensive scheme on him looking for the roller more as opposed to trying to drive or draw a foul (although that kind of aggression off the pick makes it more dangerous).

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
            I've never believed the three superstar or small ball paradigms.

I would be punishing the shit out of any team that went small on JV.
            There is no right way to build a team.

IT is all about the pieces and how they are used.

But yes, JV should be known throughout the league as the SmallBall Punisher.

Comment

• So now JV is the best player on the team? His peers certainly don't agree with that. Creme rises to the top.

I put JV in the same category as Mozgov/Lopez brothers/Hibbert. Solid starting Center. He hasn't proved his anything more than that.

While KLow/DD are always in the conversation for top 5 backcourt in the league...
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I have question do you guys think JV will be able to guard Karl Anthony Towns or Porzingis on perimeter. That's the direction his position is going.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

You don't need DeMar moved to allow JV to be featured more you just need to change the offense. I think Lowry and DD recognize JV's talent but the problem is this philosophy that guards need to generate all the points.

And DeMar is just as good as Lowry at running the pick and roll anyway.

DeMar generated 0.79 PPP as a pick and roll ball-handler last year, Lowry was at 0.82 PPP.

In 2013-14 DeRozan was #2 in the league in PPP as a pick and roll ball-handler at 1.16 PPP. I think there would just need to be more emphasis in the offensive scheme on him looking for the roller more as opposed to trying to drive or draw a foul (although that kind of aggression off the pick makes it more dangerous).
                  those stats dont tell the whole story of Demar as a pick a roll guy, he rarely looks for anyone off of it.

And given the same opportunity, Lowry would easily score higher.

Lower is the better passer, and better ball handler..He just isnt used as often in that situation.

Everything about raptors basketball offense is Demar, Demar, Demar

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    I have question do you guys think JV will be able to guard Karl Anthony Towns or Porzingis on perimeter. That's the direction his position is going.
                    I wouldnt have him out on the perimeter, against guys like that you use your PF to go out there, or you employ a zone defense and let Towns beat you with his three point shooting.

Comment

So now JV is the best player on the team? His peers certainly don't agree with that. Creme rises to the top.

I put JV in the same category as Mozgov/Lopez brothers/Hibbert. Solid starting Center. He hasn't proved his anything more than that.

While KLow/DD are always in the conversation for top 5 backcourt in the league...
                      Production is what goes into these "top lists"

Demar and Lowry are given free reign to do anything they want.

Comment

I have question do you guys think JV will be able to guard Karl Anthony Towns or Porzingis on perimeter. That's the direction his position is going.
                        Until either show they can hit at a good rate, keep JV under the basket to grab the miss. Second chance points hurt the team more than Towns drilling threes.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          Until either show they can hit at a good rate, keep JV under the basket to grab the miss. Second chance points hurt the team more than Towns drilling threes.
                          So give Towns and Porzingis open jumpers....Really guys?
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Until they show they can hit them. Grizzlies, Bulls let guys shot but always clean up the glass. Doesn't mean let them shoot but doesn't mean contesting hard. Zingus or Towns shooting 15 footers is better than Wiggins or Grant dunking

Comment

• Skal Labiessiere, Dragan Bender, Henry Ellerson and Zhou Qi. Go YouTube those names. Those are all centers project to go in the top10 next year. Now tell me is JV going to be able to guard those guys.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

There's no good reason why JV needs to be out there on Towns and it's not a good conclusion that if JV isn't out there on Towns that Towns is wide open for a three.

There is no good evidence that suggests Porzingis is going to be any more threatening than Andrea Bargnani. Bargnani didn't revolutionize NBA lineups, did he? What happened was while Bargnani was outside missing threes was we had no one inside grabbing offensive rebounds or making second chance put backs. When he was inside he wasn't good at grabbing the boards or blocking guys out because that wasn't his game. His game was a big man who plays more like a SF or a guard.

Also keep in mind that seven footers who can knock down shots and perform traditional big man blue collar work (like grabbing rebounds and standing up guys in the post) are rare, are they not? Let's just trade JV and bring in a guy like Bargnani in the interim? Maybe we could get Charlie V instead? He had a really good game... Once.

Comment

Working...
                                X