Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    He's probably going to get more than Kanter considering his max is higher than Kanter's is.

I'm thinking re-signed, DeMar+JV will cost upwards of 40M per year.
    DanH correct me here but........isn't JV only eligible for getting the same (or possibly slightly less) than Kanter? Even with the cap going up the max JV can get paid remains the same, correct?

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
      DanH correct me here but........isn't JV only eligible for getting the same (or possibly slightly less) than Kanter? Even with the cap going up the max JV can get paid remains the same, correct?
      No. You know how Lillard got a 5yr/120M extension? It's because his contract expires in 2016, so his extension was based on the new salary cap. Ditto for Anthony Davis. Kanter was drafted in 2011 so his deal expired this offseason and so his max was based on the current salary cap.

JV was also drafted in 2011, but remember he stayed overseas for a year so his deal actually lines up with the 2012 draftees (Brow, Lillard, Barnes, Drummond, etc), and so his max will be based on the new salary cap even if we extend him right now. As such I think it's likely he gets more than Kanter since he's eligible for more.

Comment

No. You know how Lillard got a 5yr/120M extension? It's because his contract expires in 2016, so his extension was based on the new salary cap. Ditto for Anthony Davis. Kanter was drafted in 2011 so his deal expired this offseason and so his max was based on the current salary cap.

JV was also drafted in 2011, but remember he stayed overseas for a year so his deal actually lines up with the 2012 draftees (Brow, Lillard, Barnes, Drummond, etc), and so his max will be based on the new salary cap even if we extend him right now. As such I think it's likely he gets more than Kanter since he's eligible for more.
        JWash nailed it. The massive cap jump is creating this disparity in max deals from one year to the next. The max deals for 2013 rookies will be even bigger, in the $25-$30M range.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          JWash nailed it. The massive cap jump is creating this disparity in max deals from one year to the next. The max deals for 2013 rookies will be even bigger, in the $25-$30M range.

It's sad. Teams are gonna have to overpay for shit players if this keeps up.

Even if the cap drops, it's going to put a strain on teams a ton.
          Axel wrote:
          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
          KeonClark wrote:
          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
          KeonClark wrote:
          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post

All the tank teams are going to feel this bite

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post

The thing to keep in mind is it is all relative.

Max salaries, and salaries in general, are going up but so is the cap in same proportion.

The problem we are going to see over the next 2-3 years until things normalize in to what will be the new normal, is so many teams are going to have so much cap space it will make drunken sailors blush watching the rush to give away money hand over fist. GMs and ownership just won't be able to control themselves and prudent will be erased from collective vocabulary of the league.

Oh, speaking of collective. The CBA in 2017 is going to be ridiculous on both sides.

Comment

• I could honestly see the outcome of the 2017 CBA being no salary cap at all.

Comment

I could honestly see the outcome of the 2017 CBA being no salary cap at all.
                  That would be going backwards. Revenue being tied to payroll is the only responsible thing for owners, and owners always win.
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    That would be going backwards. Revenue being tied to payroll is the only responsible thing for owners, and owners always win.
                    That is true.

Another huge issue is there are probably 26 or 27 teams who would vehemently oppose such action. There would be nothing to stop all-star teams forming. It would destroy the league, in my opinion.

What they really should look at is having home grown (read: drafted) players 2nd contract off rookie deal (so year 8 or 9) having less of a cap hit or having a designated player. Great way to keep drafted talent (or players obtained via trade), encourages team building, etc.

Comment

• NICELY DONE.
                      Not everybody understands basketball.

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                      Even though he can pass when he plays for Lithuania.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                        Given where the economy is heading I can't for the life of me see the NBA being able to maintain this raised cap number.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Given where the economy is heading I can't for the life of me see the NBA being able to maintain this raised cap number.
                          i feel bad for the teams when the next big tv deal is up and the next new one isn't near as big. if that happens do the players get their contracts shrunk pro-rata to compensate the owners?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            i feel bad for the teams when the next big tv deal is up and the next new one isn't near as big. if that happens do the players get their contracts shrunk pro-rata to compensate the owners?
                            I don't see any salary cap going down by a signifigant number. Ever again. Inflation bro ever deal is bigger than the last.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              I don't see any salary cap going down by a signifigant number. Ever again. Inflation bro ever deal is bigger than the last.
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                                Anthony Davis will make more next year than everyone in the league combined in '84

Comment

Working...
                                X