X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandit
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    I actually think we'll be capable of putting out some good small-ball lineups this season, better two-way squads than last, perhaps with a blend of small and big.

Lowry/DeMar/Ross/Carroll/Jonas

Lowry/CoJo/Carroll/JJ/Biyombo

That kind of thing.
    To close out a game where we have a 5 point lead? Love the look of that lineup.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    I actually think we'll be capable of putting out some good small-ball lineups this season, better two-way squads than last, perhaps with a blend of small and big.

Lowry/CoJo/Carroll/JJ/Biyombo(or JV)

That kind of thing.
    I love that lineup.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied

Lowry/CoJo/Carroll/JJ/Biyombo

That kind of thing.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Actually iso heavy was OKC's thing, problem is they have two of tthe best players in the world. So casey said now were going to impersonate GS who have two of the best 3 pt shooters of all time.
    This... Like to be successful you've got to KOP "Know your Personnel" #TomSternerRIP and gameplan accordingly.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Raptors did try to set a trend last year with their all-ISO-ball-all-the-time offence, though few had fun watching it.
    Actually iso heavy was OKC's thing, problem is they have two of tthe best players in the world. So casey said now were going to impersonate GS who have two of the best 3 pt shooters of all time.

Leave a comment:

• Quirk
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Given where the economy is heading I can't for the life of me see the NBA being able to maintain this raised cap number.
    Since the cap is based on revenue, I don't understand your concern about the economy.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    It's not only dumb, it's disappointing that there's this massive opportunity for team to be creative right now and it would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch the Raptors set a trend than follow one.
    Raptors did try to set a trend last year with their all-ISO-ball-all-the-time offence, though few had fun watching it.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    S.R. wrote: View Post
    Is it any easier to find a Finals-caliber smallball lynch pin like Draymond Green than it is to find a Finals-caliber big man? Maybe slightly, but there won't be 30 of them, that's for sure.
    Good thing the Raptors have one then.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    One side of the ship is getting over loaded.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...eeping-the-nba

What really bugs me about the whole 'small ball' hype is the lack of focus on the players needed to run such an offense.

It is not easy to find 4-5 guys all 6'7" or bigger who can all switch and defend any opponent, shoot, pass, dribble, rebound, and defend.

Just like there is more than one way to build a team, there is more than one way to win as a team. Too much recency bias going on here. It is a touch ridiculous because Golden State is the poster child for this current movement yet they only ditched their slow plodding starting C for the last 3 games of the NBA Finals because it was advantageous from a specific match up perspective. The Warriors had rolled through playoffs until Finals and they had a 67 win season.... all with Bogut heavily involved.
    Is it any easier to find a Finals-caliber smallball lynch pin like Draymond Green than it is to find a Finals-caliber big man? Maybe slightly, but there won't be 30 of them, that's for sure.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the best thing about recent NBA trends is just that teams with savvy coaches and GMs have realized you don't have to follow a mould. You get the most talented players you can and you figure out how to use them (or a GM/coach with a specific philosophy can find the BPA to fit their strategy). You don't have to find a 6'1" PG, a 6'5" SG, a 6'7" SF, a 6'10" PF, and a 7' C and play them each 30+mpg. That's all this means. Everybody should have massive flexibility now, there are so few expectations for how things should be done. Following the trend is doing the opposite of everything the game has evolved to be - it's voluntarily sacrificing that flexibility that the modern NBA gives you.

Be a Heat superstar team, be a Spurs supersystem, be a Memphis and actually pound the rock, run the triangle, play GSW "smallball", shoot tons of threes and draw tons of fouls aka Houston - nobody gives a feck. Do what you need to do. But following what somebody else is already doing? You're never going to out-smallball this GSW team anymore than anybody could outgun the D'Antoni/Nash Phoenix Suns. It's not only dumb, it's disappointing that there's this massive opportunity for team to be creative right now and it would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch the Raptors set a trend than follow one.

Leave a comment:

• KHD
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    interesting stuff, good find.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/3292...457&refid=stpr

Gregg Popovich Interview

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Is this a court case? We're both doing poorly in our testimonies.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    I said $30M, you said $20M but it was actually $28M. Here's an interesting article for you:

http://www.businessinsider.com/highe...me-2014-4?op=1
    You also said early turn of the century, when Shaq was making 20M. He didn't make 28M until 2004-05, when the cap had risen to the mid-40M's.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    One side of the ship is getting over loaded.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...eeping-the-nba

What really bugs me about the whole 'small ball' hype is the lack of focus on the players needed to run such an offense.

It is not easy to find 4-5 guys all 6'7" or bigger who can all switch and defend any opponent, shoot, pass, dribble, rebound, and defend.

Just like there is more than one way to build a team, there is more than one way to win as a team. Too much recency bias going on here. It is a touch ridiculous because Golden State is the poster child for this current movement yet they only ditched their slow plodding starting C for the last 3 games of the NBA Finals because it was advantageous from a specific match up perspective. The Warriors had rolled through playoffs until Finals and they had a 67 win season.... all with Bogut heavily involved.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I said $30M, you said $20M but it was actually $28M. Here's an interesting article for you:

http://www.businessinsider.com/highe...me-2014-4?op=1

Leave a comment:

Working...
X