Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JWash wrote: View Post
    I think Masai is smarter and more patient than most of us are. Remember that in firing Casey, we are creating a vacancy, which means we need to hire a new coach. Perhaps Masai didn't like any of the coaching candidates long-term. Or perhaps he wants to give Casey a shot to prove he can succeed with defensive personnel. If he fails he fails but we aren't a title contender yet anyway so I can see why MU would be patient about it.
    he runs the risk of ruining talent that way.

JV is a part of future success, and he needs meaningful minutes to develop, especially during crunch time.

Comment

There is just zero logic behind Val not being on the floor at the end of games... small ball or not.

Most teams don't play small ball by taking their center off the court, they play it by playing a guy that's normally a 3 at the 4 spot for spacing reasons. The only adjustment to that that's logical would be maybe playing Carroll at the 4 or something.

JV is the one guy on this team that can consistently take and make baskets from efficient areas. He is above average defensively if you don't have him scrambling all over the place. He's a legit 7 footer and weapon that other teams going small would have to be very concerned about defending if we used him properly at all.

The Wizards went "small" by playing Pierce at the 4. Gortat, a center, was still at the 5 spot. I'm not sure how the hell putting JV on the bench in favor of 2Pat or Scola at the 5 helps us at all. Leaves us with zero rim protection, no advantage inside, no way of getting easy baskets at the rim, etc, etc. It's just brainless. It's not like the dude is a hack-a-Shaq liability either as a mid 70s FT shooter.

If I see JV on the bench at the end of a 4th quarter where he is not fouled out I may punch a hole in my TV. Ordering a better warranty as we speak.
      That'd be one heck of a warranty. Maybe just put up a piece of plexiglass in front of your tv. Something that could take a beating...or scores of empty bottles being thrown at it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

The best part is how he says "trends come and go, but as long as this is the trend, we have to participate"

Basically, "I'm going to wait until a more innovative coach come along and changes strategies, then ill follow along"

Start your own trend loser. Playing copycat will get you a nice shelf full of shiny bronze medalss.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

I think Masai is smarter and more patient than most of us are. Remember that in firing Casey, we are creating a vacancy, which means we need to hire a new coach. Perhaps Masai didn't like any of the coaching candidates long-term. Or perhaps he wants to give Casey a shot to prove he can succeed with defensive personnel. If he fails he fails but we aren't a title contender yet anyway so I can see why MU would be patient about it.

Not gonna lie if it was me I would've fired Casey as soon as the buzzer sounded in game 4 but that's very reactionary. I think Masai being the cool, collected, patient guy he is saw a reason to not pull the trigger on a canning right away.
          Yup. Does Carroll come aboard without the stability inherent in Casey's retention? Dwayne seemed to play a fairly large part in the recruitment process.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
            The best part is how he says "trends come and go, but as long as this is the trend, we have to participate"

Basically, "I'm going to wait until a more innovative coach come along and changes strategies, then ill follow along"

Start your own trend loser. Playing copycat will get you a nice shelf full of shiny bronze medalss.
            Hey, where's your sig?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              That'd be one heck of a warranty. Maybe just put up a piece of plexiglass in front of your tv. Something that could take a beating...or scores of empty bottles being thrown at it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
              So I just ordered my new projector and a curtain to put over my brick wall

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                Yup. Does Carroll come aboard without the stability inherent in Casey's retention? Dwayne seemed to play a fairly large part in the recruitment process.
                Yeah I think stability was a big factor in the decision as well. Destabilizing may have only negatively affected the team. You maybe don't get Carroll in that case and also don't get a meeting with LMA. Also idk if having a slightly better coach last year would've really resulted in much more success than we had.

Comment

I'm numb to Casey these days.
                  "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Ok I am on board with fire casey I am sorry if Memphis can go big and stay big so can casey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

He better not come back next season. I'm so done.
                      The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

His interviews make no sense. Different message everytime.
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                          His interviews make no sense. Different message everytime.
                          Not this time. Different message in same interview. He's switching it up.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                            Not this time. Different message in same interview. He's switching it up.
                            Soon he'll do it in a sentence. "We needed shot blocking so we put Kyle Lowry at the 5".
                            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                              What is Masai's attitude?
                              That small ball is a trend, and that the NBA in general gets caught up in trends, and that he doesn't want to be like that.
                              "Stop eating your sushi."
                              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

The worst part about pulling JV in the 4th was that we couldn't rebound for shit without him. So when DD and Lou jacked up ill advised shots there was no one there to corral the rebound and give us a 2nd chance. Also, didn't the Spurs win the title just a year ago, and the Spurs never go truly small (Duncan at center =/ Hansbrough at center).

I wish Casey would just keep his mouth shut. Every time I convince myself I'm fine with him being back for the year he goes out and says some shit like this.

Comment

Working...
                                X