Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    The worst part about pulling JV in the 4th was that we couldn't rebound for shit without him. So when DD and Lou jacked up ill advised shots there was no one there to corral the rebound and give us a 2nd chance. Also, didn't the Spurs win the title just a year ago, and the Spurs never go truly small (Duncan at center =/ Hansbrough at center).

I wish Casey would just keep his mouth shut. Every time I convince myself I'm fine with him being back for the year he goes out and says some shit like this.
    Remember the @GS game last year ? The Golden State announcers were laughing at us for trying to go small against them...in fact stating that the one advantage we had against them was JV. Casey is such an idiot. How can Masai have so much faith in him?

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      I...

The....

You....

Er......

But....

Shit. I am really at a loss. For all the shrewd maneuvering I can't believe casey is the coach masai believes is going to deliver more than what he has.
      I just don't understand too. Ugh.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        That'd be one heck of a warranty. Maybe just put up a piece of plexiglass in front of your tv. Something that could take a beating...or scores of empty bottles being thrown at it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
        Great post . Caused me to laugh. Either that or go insane....

Comment

Comment

MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            Soon he'll do it in a sentence. "We needed shot blocking so we put Kyle Lowry at the 5".
            Well. We are talking about a man who said "we needed a stop at the end of the game so we put Grevis Vasquez on Tyreke Evans to stop dribble penetration"

Anything is possssibleeeeee (KG voice)

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              I...

The....

You....

Er......

But....

Shit. I am really at a loss. For all the shrewd maneuvering I can't believe casey is the coach masai believes is going to deliver more than what he has.
              More and more makes me think that ownership didn't want to pay 2 coaches. Which is a bit hard to believe since they just dropped $50M at Mike Babcock's front door. But I just cannot see any logical basketball reason that Casey is still here.

Comment

Besides, the real "trend" we're seeing is positionless basketball. Which basically means having your 5 best players on the floor at the end of the game. Caseys strategy is to switch out valanciunas with the backup power forward and say "were matching trendzzz"
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

If all head coaches started wearing red polka dot pants and they suggested that it was part of their team's success, Casey would probably do the same. He clearly doesn't know what he's doing.
                  #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

I have to believe that if as posters we tune out DC's small ball rhetoric some of the players do as well. How can one reasonably expect to be successful if one doesn't truly believe in a system and philosophy will be successful?

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
                      Q: What hurt you offensively in the playoffs?

DC: Physicality and size. We were small with Lou and Kyle on the floor at the same time. Size and length took us out.

wat
                      If size hurt us why the f we still trying to run small ball. I lose a lot of respect for this guy after this interview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                        Besides, the real "trend" we're seeing is positionless basketball. Which basically means having your 5 best players on the floor at the end of the game. Caseys strategy is to switch out valanciunas with the backup power forward and say "were matching trendzzz"
                        This. Also, two key factors cause other teams to pull their C's in 4th quarters: the guys are often defensive players with little offensive game, and/or they can't shoot free throws very well. Those guys get pulled because they're a liability - you can Hack a Shaq them and they can't defend a smaller stretch forward at the defensive end + they can't make the undersized guy pay at the offensive end because they've got no game. Deandre Jordan, Andrew Bogut, even Dwight Howard all of a sudden may be hurting you as much as helping you at the most important juncture of the game.

JV is different because he's a very efficient post scorer. The Raps should be looking to punish smaller defenders instead of sitting JV. Do the Spurs sit Duncan? Does Memphis sit Marc Gasol? Does Chicago sit Pau? Heck no! (Free answer.) Those guys are not mobile, they are not small, but they can post you up if you play them small and they can make free throws.

Following trends is stupid, especially if you don't have the personnel. Maximize your own talent and force the other team to adjust.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

The funny thing is teams would probably stop going small against us if they knew we would feed JV and watch him beast on their midgets.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                            If size hurt us why the f we still trying to run small ball. I lose a lot of respect for this guy after this interview

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            But the craziest thing about this point is that while what he's saying is easily countered (if being small hurt you, don't go small), what he's saying is also just flat out wrong. Playing Lou and Kyle at the same might have been a problem in that series, but if so, it was very far down the list. That this example was the first thing that pops into his head is mind-boggling. I mean, we're all pretty raptors obsessed here; can anyone think of ANYBODY - coach, broadcaster, beat writer, poster - who suggested that Lou and Kyle's size had anything to do with how that series turned out? We go through basically every permutation and possibility on this site, and I don't remember THAT idea coming up once.

And when you think about it, it doesn't even make sense. The most likely matchup for a Lou-Kyle pairing would have been two of Wall, Beal and Sessions. Porter and Pierce were never guarding them. When you think Wall, Beal and Sessions, you do NOT think 'physicality and size'.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Positionless basketball also has 5 guys who can all shoot, pass, dribble, and defend.

He doesn't seem to grasp the most basic concepts yet there he is... an NBA head coach.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                                But the craziest thing about this point is that while what he's saying is easily countered (if being small hurt you, don't go small), what he's saying is also just flat out wrong. Playing Lou and Kyle at the same might have been a problem in that series, but if so, it was very far down the list. That this example was the first thing that pops into his head is mind-boggling. I mean, we're all pretty raptors obsessed here; can anyone think of ANYBODY - coach, broadcaster, beat writer, poster - who suggested that Lou and Kyle's size had anything to do with how that series turned out? We go through basically every permutation and possibility on this site, and I don't remember THAT idea coming up once.

And when you think about it, it doesn't even make sense. The most likely matchup for a Lou-Kyle pairing would have been two of Wall, Beal and Sessions. Porter and Pierce were never guarding them. When you think Wall, Beal and Sessions, you do NOT think 'physicality and size'.
                                The reason behind Casey saying that is clearly to keep his job. This really isn't anything new. Its the same thing we heard all season long during the post-game press conferences. Shift the blame off himself and give an explanation of why it's not his fault. It's always the players fault isn't it? They're flawed and not me. They're not good enough. They're not strong or big enough to beat the other team. They didn't listen to me. They didn't do the right things. Thats why its their fault and not mine. That sums up Casey.

The difference between us versus the coach, broadcasters, beat writers, etc.. is that they're on the payroll on we're not. We're not getting any money from discussing and criticizing the raptors. There aren't any repercussions if we say Casey is a shitty coach that don't know anything about basketball. We can be more objective with our approach while they aren't allowed to give their honest opinion. They've got to yield to their boss's opinion. Its that simple.
                                Last edited by BS10; Mon Jul 20, 2015, 05:59 PM.
                                #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Working...
                                X