Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
    Is there a single team in the nba that shoots 40% from 3 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Warriors ranked #1 at 39.8% last year. So close but not quite.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
      Warriors ranked #1 at 39.8% last year. So close but not quite.
      There we have it then. Curry is rewriting the 3 point shooting record book. I don't see us duplicating that

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
        What a silly post. No one is asking Jonas to go out and check guards on the perimeter. But he is being asked to defend the pick and roll adequately, to hedge and then recover to his original responsibility. This is something that he didn't do a particularly good job at last season, especially during the fourth quarter when his tank began to empty. You can't make fun of Casey for saying that the trend of the league is going small and more perimeter based near the end of games and then suggest that he should just let JV sit in the middle of the paint on D as a solution.
        No one should be, but this post kinda made it sound that way...

special1 wrote: View Post
        So many posters refuse to accept the truth when it comes to Jonas. Last year he was too slow to guard ANYONE on the perimeter.

I think this is the reason why he actually played less minutes than the year before.

Jonas knows this to be true and is working on his mobility/quickness and looking to extend his range a bit (I presume he finally wants to take advantage of all the open shots he turns down).

Nothing to see here folks.

JV is only 23!! He needs to improve his quickness, defense and show a decent mid range jumper more often.

So he sits because he couldn't/can't keep up with the smaller faster players......Is anyone really surprised?

Mostly it's a schematic thing. Pulling JV out to the perimeter to close out on shooters is a bad idea, not many centers can do that (really the reason Cauley-Stein was such a high pick is for this exact skill and the rarity of it). JV is certainly not bad in the PnR defence. Consider the entire team sucked at defending the PnR (and most things really), it is BS to single out JV as the "weak link" on defence.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
          Jonas gave up 0.82 PPP against the roll man in pick and roll situations.

Some centers that are considered excellent pick and roll defenders

Dwight Howard: 0.84 PPP
          TYSON CHANDLER AKA Casey's lover: 0.83 PPP
          Joakim Noah: 0.78 PPP
          DeAndre Jordan: 0.94 PPP
          Andrew Bogut: 1.13 PPP (and for the record Green 0.85 PPP)

Seems like he defends the P&R just fine and actually better than most of these guys. Stop making excuses for Casey benching JV at the end of games it is illogical.

And for the record he defended the P&R better than Amir if only slightly (0.83 PPP)

Stats are from stats.nba.com/playtype
          Casey doesn't need an excuse to bench JV in the fourth.

They just help answer questions afterwords.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
            The only reason Casey is still around is so Masai can re-sign DD next year. If Masai fires Casey now, it will be less likely that DD re-signs with the Toronto Raptors since DD and Casey have a strong relationship. Casey's been on record saying that he see's DD as a son and i'm sure the feeling is somewhat mutual between DD towards Casey. I think Casey gets the boot afterwards when DD is locked into a new long term contract with the Raps.

That's my personal opinion of why Masai still has him around but perhaps i'm wrong. It's a very deceptive and shrewd move and appears antithetical to Masai's demeanour but who really knows what Masai is like behind closed doors. I like Masai and wouldn't be mad at him if that is his play and if he was actually operating on that level.
            Good analysis. This line of thought is logical. Everything else related to DC seems to be illogical.

Comment

• Silly question, but if small ball is the answer to winning in the 4th quarter, why don't you play it all game? Put the game away early and then there will never even be a need to have a crunch time line up.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                Silly question, but if small ball is the answer to winning in the 4th quarter, why don't you play it all game? Put the game away early and then there will never even be a need to have a crunch time line up.
                Never show your hand too early?

Comment

• Bandit wrote: View Post
                  Never show your hand too early?
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                    Silly question, but if small ball is the answer to winning in the 4th quarter, why don't you play it all game? Put the game away early and then there will never even be a need to have a crunch time line up.
                    I would assume fatigue factor. NBA has lots of compressed games ( back to backs, 4 in 5, etc) . Bigs haul around more weight than smalls. If you go small, and run the floor hard, more opportunities for easy buckets before the gassed bigs can get back.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                      Is there a single team in the nba that shoots 40% from 3 ?

It's all a hypothetical, and basically I used round numbers for the ease of calculation (same reason I went with lineups that shoot exclusively 3s or 2s, rather than more realistic mixes), but also I did say a lineup that shoots 40% on 3s against a big lineup, which would still be elite, but not unheard of. Golden State has a whole bunch of 3-point centric lineups that produce at this rate or better, Atlanta has a couple, even our best offensive units from last year produced at a similar pace.

You could adjust the averages downward (as long as the two lineups keep the same points per possession as each other) and the example would work equally well.

Comment

• I find it quite funny that we're trying to extend JV's range, to make him a more mobile, pick-and-pop big. It's hardly a drastic change; in fact, it's more of a reversion: wasn't this the player we drafted? Then we said he was too weak, had to add on size and work on his back to basket game. But now he's too big, too immobile.

Poor JV, these mixed signals must be messing with his brain.

Comment

• At the end of games now 4s become 5s and 3s become 4s.

JV is to slow to stay in front of 4s in this league. Especially since all 4s play on the perimeter now.

Now I know "why do you punish them for going small?". Casey is a defensive minded coach so his preference is to stop the opponent rather than score on them.

Unfortunately for JV if you going to be a Center in this league now you have to be in the mold of Porzingis or Karl Anthony Towns. Look at the crop of Centers projected to be drafted next year. Pretty much all of them very mobile and have perimeter games.

Its not the end of Centers. Its the end of strictly low post Centers. You need to have a more well rounded game to survive now at that position.

If Casey has another record breaking season and is retained. I would if Masai targets C with NYK/DEN pick? 2016 is top heavy with Center that have the skill set need for this new age of NBA basketball.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• We have to participate in the trend of getting rid of our coach after he displays lack of basketball knowledge
                            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              At the end of games now 4s become 5s and 3s become 4s.

JV is to slow to stay in front of 4s in this league. Especially since all 4s play on the perimeter now.

Now I know "why do you punish them for going small?". Casey is a defensive minded coach so his preference is to stop the opponent rather than score on them.

Unfortunately for JV if you going to be a Center in this league now you have to be in the mold of Porzingis or Karl Anthony Towns. Look at the crop of Centers projected to be drafted next year. Pretty much all of them very mobile and have perimeter games.

Its not the end of Centers. Its the end of strictly low post Centers. You need to have a more well rounded game to survive now at that position.

If Casey has another record breaking season and is retained. I would if Masai targets C with NYK/DEN pick? 2016 is top heavy with Center that have the skill set need for this new age of NBA basketball.
                              I love how you constantly defend DD and casey, and constantly slag on JV and lowry. I would love to know which games youre watching.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                                At the end of games now 4s become 5s and 3s become 4s.

You are right. Bigs like Marc Gasol and Tim Duncan never defend the post to close out games anymore. You need small guys like Draymond Green. It's why Memphis and San Antonio suck so much.

Andrew Bogut closed out games for GSW all year long, but since Kerr made an adjustment to strategically deal with a specific situation in the finals, now we can re-write the narrative for the entire NBA. A narrative where anybody who can't guard Ryan Anderson at the 3 pt line is useless. Like Dwight Howard. Or Deandre Jordan. Or Pau Gasol. All garbage. Patrick Patterson is the future. Post defense, rim protection, and rebounding are all overrated. Go small or go home.
                                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Working...
                                X