X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
    It'll make deciding to bench him even harder
    Nope.
    We make mistakes. That's why they put erasers on pencils.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      Except Toronto had 2Pats at the 4. Moving him to the 5 never made sense.Also if Demar is the 3 moving him to the 4 to stretch the floor doesn't make sense.
      But now with have the roster to play that way thanks to Masai.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• The 4th quarter benchings for JV are more often than not a punishment rather than a philosophy of defensive coaching from Casey. He's not going to say that in a national interview, but once JV stops making the mistakes that drive Casey mad and establishes himself as a veteran he will have earned his trust. And it will be sweet.

JV gets it. Casey gets it. Masai gets it.

Think about it. If Casey had the Centres being mentioned in this thread you don't think he'd play them? "Hey Timmy it's crunch time, sit your ass down," "Marc grab a fork, the paella's ready," "Tyson, you won me a ring, it ain't no thing, ride the pine!"

Comment

• The_Warlord wrote: View Post
          The 4th quarter benchings for JV are more often than not a punishment rather than a philosophy of defensive coaching from Casey. He's not going to say that in a national interview, but once JV stops making the mistakes that drive Casey mad and establishes himself as a veteran he will have earned his trust. And it will be sweet.

JV gets it. Casey gets it. Masai gets it.

Think about it. If Casey had the Centres being mentioned in this thread you don't think he'd play them? "Hey Timmy it's crunch time, sit your ass down," "Marc grab a fork, the paella's ready," "Tyson, you won me a ring, it ain't no thing, ride the pine!"
          He actually has outright stated that he'd bench Tyson... I wish I could find that interview now.
          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
            He actually has outright stated that he'd bench Tyson... I wish I could find that interview now.
            What was he supposed to say, "I bench JV, but I wouldn't bench Tyson"? Or maybe he wasn't bsing, maybe he would bench Tyson...for a couple of minutes.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• When he was in Minny, he would leave Garnett out there ala Lowry and DeRo.
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:
              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                Can we stop comparing JV to Marc Gasol or Tim Duncan?? Those guys are just so much better defensively and offensively than JV. They know where to be on the floor to make up for their lack of foot speed.

Likewise, can we stop comparing JV to Dwight Howard or even DeAndre Jordan?? Those guys are quicker, better defenders and better rim protectors.

Please stop.

Those guys are all contenders for Defensive players of the year. Maybe JV gets there someday, but it sounds really silly to me right now.
                Didn't directly compare any of them to JV. They're used as a rebuttal for "the whole NBA is going small, you have to sit your 7 foot C and play a mobile PF at the 5 - like Draymond Green." That's not true at all e.g. Marc Gasol, Tim Duncan, etc. For every winning team that closes the game with a stretch 4 at the 5, there's another winning team that closes out games with a 7 footer at the five. That's all. Point being, to say JV should sit on the bench in the 4th quarter just because he's 7 feet and "the whole league is going small" is a fallacy. It's not true. It's wrong. Good teams play their best players to win games. They also have the depth to occassionally switch things up and pull somebody off the bench. The connection to the Raps = JV has the potential to be one of the team's 2 or 3 best players. Sitting him down on a regular basis in 4th quarters just because some other teams sometimes slide their PF into the C spot is stupid, stupid reasoning.

As far as sitting him because he's making mistake - the perimeter D was porous all season long, and none of the guards got the regular benchings JV got. There is a genuine difference of philosophy - bench a guy who makes mistakes vs. let him play through - and I'm of the opinion that at this stage of JV's career I'd be letting him learn by playing through 4th quarters rather than making him watch the most important minutes of the game from the bench. Again, he has the potential to be one of your 2 or 3 best players and he's been your starting C for three straight seasons. I hope Casey does let him play through more this year.
                Last edited by S.R.; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 04:12 PM.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• It has nothing to do with him being 7 footer. Its about him being a slow 7 footer laterally.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I'm not sure if this is possible, but if anyone can find the +/- and rebounding stats for the team when they went small in crunch time last year, that would be cool to look at.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Rebounding wont be as huge of an issue going small if you have Scola in there. Scola has really good defensive rebounding numbers.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        It has nothing to do with him being 7 footer. Its about him being a slow 7 footer laterally.
                        OMG you guys. How many times do we have to bring up "slow 7 footers laterally" who regularly close out games for winning teams. Then we do that and somebody with a 1 in his name says "You can't compare JV to those guys." One page later and we're back to the start of the argument "non-mobile 7 footers don't close out games anymore." How about I start mentioning players again so the other guy with a 1 in his name can say "You can't compare JV to those guys" again. We'll keep doing it on every page of this thread.
                        Last edited by S.R.; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 04:59 PM.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Rebounding wont be as huge of an issue going small if you have Scola in there. Scola has really good defensive rebounding numbers.
                          you've got to be fucking kidding me

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                            OMG you guys. How many times do we have to bring up "slow 7 footers laterally" who regularly close out games for winning teams. Then we do that and somebody with a 1 in his name says "You can't compare JV to those guys." One page later and we're back to the start of the argument "non-mobile 7 footers don't close out games anymore." How about I start mentioning players again so the other guy with a 1 in his name can say "You can't compare JV to those guys" again. We'll keep doing it on every page of this thread.
                            I'm not saying that JV should sit to close out games. JV's coach seems to believe that he's a liability at times.

I just don't think you can compare the guys i hear being mentioned (Tim D, Marc G, Dwight H even more absurdly Shaq) to JV. Those guys for the most part had great defensive instincts and pretty much came into the league with it. Those guys are also more offensively dominant as well (in Shaq's case WAY more offensively dominant).

I get that we want JV to play 30+ minutes. I think he's overrated among the republic, but I also think he's a solid player. However, i think its silly for anyone to compare him to those guys. He needs to take a big leap this year before you can compare him to any one of those guys.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                              you've got to be fucking kidding me
                              If we use Scola and Carroll, we have something that's salvagable on the rebounding end.
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• There's been C's that came into the league as subpar defenders who had the same limitations as JV and became above average to elite on defense.

Marc Gasol
                                Andrew Bynum
                                Andrew Bogut

Even Draymond Green wasn't known for his defense in college but now he's one of the best defenders in the league.

From Draftexpress

"Unfortunately, Green's defensive deficiencies have become even more pronounced as a senior. At 6'7, he is too small to guard elite post players, and lacks the lateral quickness to defend perimeter players, even face-up power forwards at the NCAA level. While his effort and aggressiveness will never be questioned, it is difficult to project him as an adequate NBA defender at this point"
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X