Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• special1 wrote: View Post
    I'm not saying that JV should sit to close out games. JV's coach seems to believe that he's a liability at times.

I just don't think you can compare the guys i hear being mentioned (Tim D, Marc G, Dwight H even more absurdly Shaq) to JV. Those guys for the most part had great defensive instincts and pretty much came into the league with it. Those guys are also more offensively dominant as well (in Shaq's case WAY more offensively dominant).

I get that we want JV to play 30+ minutes. I think he's overrated among the republic, but I also think he's a solid player. However, i think its silly for anyone to compare him to those guys. He needs to take a big leap this year before you can compare him to any one of those guys.
    I agree - just as an aside, I think JV's ceiling is a Marc Gasol type of player. He's competent at both ends of the floor and has a good post game. Gasol's a much better passer/facilitator and that's a lot of instinct - hard to develop. JV can definitely become Gasol-lite at the least. Gasol came to the NBA as a 24 year old rookie and JV won't be 24 until one season from now. Think he'll be as good as Gasol-the-rookie after another year of development?
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
      I agree - just as an aside, I think JV's ceiling is a Marc Gasol type of player. He's competent at both ends of the floor and has a good post game. Gasol's a much better passer/facilitator and that's a lot of instinct - hard to develop. JV can definitely become Gasol-lite at the least. Gasol came to the NBA as a 24 year old rookie and JV won't be 24 until one season from now. Think he'll be as good as Gasol-the-rookie after another year of development?
      JV's production has already surpassed that of rookie Gasol. He produced almost the same stats in less playing time and also did so more efficiently than Gasol did.

I keep telling people that we have a potential Pseudo-#1 guy on our hands in JV if we would just give him the damn PT. Give him the 30-35mpg that Gasol got, give him some time to get comfortable with his mid-range game (which he can hit but is just not comfortable shooting yet) and we will have a lethal offensive weapon on our hands. He's every bit as mobile as Gasol and almost as long and bulky, there's no reason why he can't grow into an elite defender/rim protector like Gasol became.

He'll never have the passing game that Gasol has, but in terms of scoring he can be right there with him (and possibly more efficient), and he can be better than him on the glass and just as good defensively. The kid is currently being neutered. Sometimes guys emerge as stars when given the opportunity, look at Paul George, Jimmy Butler... or an extreme example... Harden.

The kid has some insane talent, let him use it dammit! The Spurs were willing to part with prime Tony Parker for this dude for Pete's sake.
      Last edited by JWash; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
        you've got to be fucking kidding me
        Go check his defensive rebounding numbers
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I think at the end of games we should have JV as the coach and Casey can be our 5 since he's ideal for our small ball system. He knows it better than any of our players.
          #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
            I think at the end of games we should have JV as the coach and Casey can be our 5 since he's ideal for our small ball system. He knows it better than any of our players.
            This post got me thinking. If anybodys interested in Dwane Caseys stats as a player, I found them, and it appears he was about as good a college guard as he is a coach.

4 seasons, average roughly 7 mins/game. Roughly: 1.2 ppg, 0.5 reb, 0.6 assists. 35% shooting.

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/sta...sey_Dwane.html
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              He had a very good defensive rebounding year last year, the best of his career. Of course that was against bench PF's, not against starting C's as he would be facing if he were in the end-of-game small ball lineup. His career numbers are about 20% lower - the difference between potential rebounding anchor for a lineup and a guy who can't really fill that role.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I know the numbers. The ability to rebound against bench 4s does not make him a suitable center. Read Dan's post.

Comment

• But his playing against other PF? Small ball meaning both teams go small. Meaning Scola is still rebounding against the same type of players
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

But his playing against other PF? Small ball meaning both teams go small. Meaning Scola is still rebounding against the same type of players
                    teams don't just "go small" though, as has been established here. Meanwhile, Casey consistently did it and we got our asses kicked on the boards. And if you think you're going to force a team to adjust to small ball lineups that include Scola at the 5, you've got another thing coming. He provides nothing that would stop a guy like Howard, Bogut, Gasol, Duncan, JV, from being on the floor.

Rebounding doesnt happen in a vacuum. Scola rebounded well against opposing 4s, when a center like Hibbert or Mahinmi were playing the 5. He won't rebound well against the opposing teams 4 and 5, since Patterson damn sure isn't going to box out.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      teams don't just "go small" though, as has been established here. Meanwhile, Casey consistently did it and we got our asses kicked on the boards. And if you think you're going to force a team to adjust to small ball lineups that include Scola at the 5, you've got another thing coming. He provides nothing that would stop a guy like Howard, Bogut, Gasol, Duncan, JV, from being on the floor.

Rebounding doesnt happen in a vacuum. Scola rebounded well against opposing 4s, when a center like Hibbert or Mahinmi were playing the 5. He won't rebound well against the opposing teams 4 and 5, since Patterson damn sure isn't going to box out.
                      Sad, but true.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

But his playing against other PF? Small ball meaning both teams go small. Meaning Scola is still rebounding against the same type of players
                        Yeah but other teams have PF's who are 6'10" or 6'11" not 2 guys who are barley 6'9".

And Scola is probably gonna have to box out 2+ guys at once because Patterson is allergic to rebounding.
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Scola is just a good rebounder period.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Scola is just a good rebounder period.
                            I wonder if he's fast enough for what Casey envisions though. I really wouldn't be surprised if he goes for something like Kyle/DeMar/Carroll/JJ/Patterson. That's if JJ really comes to buy-in in his contract year obviously.

Comment

Scola is just a good rebounder period.
                              Unless he's rebounding at absolute ridiculous rates, there is no way he out rebounds two big men.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                                Unless he's rebounding at absolute ridiculous rates, there is no way he out rebounds two big men.
                                no no, dont you see? Chr1s1anL says he's a good rebounder period. That means he will absolutely be perfect for the center spot in the 4th quarter.

Comment

Working...
                                X