Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.R. wrote: View Post
    Also for GSW it was a strategy to deal with Lebron James. They'd rather have Igoudala on James and keep Curry/Klay/Barnes/Green on the floor with him, even though it allowed Mozgov to go into beast mode for most of the series. Timofey Mozgov is not going to win the NBA Finals for you, but Lebron James will. That was GSW's focus. At no point did Steve Kerr think during the NBA Finals "Well, the trend in the NBA is certainly to go small. I think we will start sitting Andrew Bogut and playing a positionless wing player instead because we certainly don't want to fall behind the trend."
    Yup. Following trends in any sport gets you burned. You have to realize that the team that started the "trend" didn't do it because it was cool, but because the strategy was effective for them in that particular situation. Like you said, GS didn't go small because going small is better. They went small to get their best perimeter defender in the game longer to match up with LBJ, while also keeping their other top contributors (Curry, Klay, Barnes, Green) on the court.

It only worked for GS because Mozgov isn't skilled enough to consistently take advantage of the Green matchup (although he did have a few dominant games). If GS ever tried that with us, the smart play would be to leave Jonas in and then focus the offense around him. GL to Draymond Green trying to guard a legit skilled 7 footer. Jonas would pour it on until GS was forced to put Bogut back into the game.

Comment

• Small ball centers aren't always that effective anyway.

Let's look at GS for one.

If GSW has a line-up of Curry, Thompson, Iggy, Barnes, Green, and the Raps counter with Lowry, DD, Carroll, PP and JV;

so match-ups of Curry-Lowry, Thompson-Carroll, Iggy-DD, Barnes-PP, Green-JV.

Imagine it's a close game, rank the GS players from worst case (for Raps) to best case to be taking the next shot.
      Should look something like:
      Curry
      Thompson
      Barnes/Iggy
      Green

Ok, so JV gets isolated on Green on the perimeter. So Green gets the ball at the 3 point line, JV gives him a couple step cushion. If Green tries to drive, JV has given him enough cushion that JV should be able to stay in position to contest any shot in the paint. Green would be most open for a pull-up midrange jumper, or the initial 3 pointer. Which JV can use his height advantage to still get a hand up on the shot.

If you were to take those 5 players, and rank each of the potential shot attempts in Points Per Possession, pretty confident that Green contested at rim, Green pull-up mid-range, Green for 3 would rank near the lowest PPP options for GSW. If I am coaching the Raps, that is the shot I want GSW to take.

Green is a fantastic player, but mostly for his defence, rebounding, and ability to take a rebound and push the ball in transition. 3 point shooting and scoring in general aren't his game. Not many small-ball centers can remotely match Green's interior defence.

Point is, just because a team goes small, doesn't automatically mean that the Raps are at a disadvantage with JV on the court. How many teams have a legit scoring threat that we need to counter playing the 5 in small-ball? Green might be the best example of a successful small-ball C, but making him "beat us" is a better strategy then counting on Lowry to slow down Curry. Who can answer, with the exception of LeBron, how many teams have a player that would fill the small-ball C role that would be scoring threats significant enough for us to have to match-up? My guess, not too many teams, but would love to see SPECIFIC players/teams that people are concerned with.

Let JV go beast at the other end of the court. He will score, he will get fouls (sending these small-ball guys to the bench), and the Raps will win close games.
      Last edited by Axel; Wed Jul 22, 2015, 11:52 AM.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
        This idea that JV can't be on the court in the 4th quarter because other teams are going small is fucking ridiculous. Let's take an actual look at who every team in the NBA plays at the 5 spot in crunch time when healthy.

Boston: Zeller/Olynyk
        Brooklyn: Brook Lopez
        New York: Robin Lopez
        Philadelphia: Jahlil Okafor

Chicago: Joakim Noah
        Cleveland: Timofey Mozgov
        Detroit: Andre Drummond
        Indiana: Ian Mahinmi (only C on their roster atm)
        Milwaukee: Greg Monroe

Atlanta: Al Horford
        Charlotte: Al Jefferson
        Miami: Hassan Whiteside
        Orlando: Nikola Vucevic
        Wizards: Marcin Gortat

Dallas: Zaza Pachulia
        Houston: Dwight Howard
        Memphis: Marc Gasol
        New Orleans: Omer Asik
        San Antonio: Tim Duncan

Denver: Jusuf Nurkic
        Minnesota: Karl Anthony-Towns
        Oklahoma City: Enes Kanter/Steven Adams
        Portland: Ed Davis
        Utah: Rudy Gobert

Golden State: Andrew Bogut
        Los Angeles Clippers: DeAndre Jordan
        Los Angeles Lakers: Roy Hibbert
        Phoenix Suns: Tyson Chandler
        Sacramento Kings: DeMarcus Cousins
        Good list (you posted this while I was typing mine).

Of this list, only players with much range on their shot that is a concern is Olynyk, Horford and then maybe Anthony-Towns. Horford still doesn't most of his damage inside, so letting him shoot from outside is likely preferable. Olynyk has a nice shot, but still better formula to winning then letting Thomas beat us. KAT is a rookie, so don't actually know if he can even be a stretch threat, but if we are in a close game with Minnesota, JV's minutes should be the least of our concerns.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Plus it's fun to watch grown men on the opposing side throw hissy fits.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Seems a traditional C late game with a small lead is the proper way to finish games. Run for three then slow down and limit possessions. Small ball is a great way to squander double digit leads late

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              Its funny that JV is changing his game to play more like these guys. Hmm I wonder why his doing that.
              Actually JV is regaining what made him such a promising prospect when he was playing for Rytas.

Someone told him to get bigger to bang, remember?

Comment

• Its gonna be an interesting season. I really think this casey-JV thing will reach its boiling point by xmas. Its one thing to bench JJ, he's known league wide as a bench player. Even the american media knows JV is our best asset and has all star potential.

Year 1: ok he's clearly a gangly rookie, 23 mins is perfect
                Year 2: he could play more, but fuck it this team found crazy chemistry and his minutes went up. Pat is cool and amir is a beast
                Year 3: umm..amir has no ankles, were getting killed on the glass, the dude has improved his efficiency dramatically and you've DROPPED his minutes?
                Year 4: ok casey you're an undisputed moron. The lethaluanian is ready to murder and you've got him on the fucking bench.

I can't wait for the 5000 word essay from zach lowe exposing our moron coach. I hope the toronto media turns up the heat.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• At no point did Steve Kerr think during the NBA Finals "Well, the trend in the NBA is certainly to go small. I think we will start sitting Andrew Bogut and playing a positionless wing player instead because we certainly don't want to fall behind the trend."
                  ---
                  BECAUSE Kerr is NOT an IDIOT and know How + When to use his personnel.
                  ----

S.R. wrote: View Post
                  Also for GSW it was a strategy to deal with Lebron James. They'd rather have Igoudala on James and keep Curry/Klay/Barnes/Green on the floor with him, even though it allowed Mozgov to go into beast mode for most of the series. Timofey Mozgov is not going to win the NBA Finals for you, but Lebron James will. That was GSW's focus. At no point did Steve Kerr think during the NBA Finals "Well, the trend in the NBA is certainly to go small. I think we will start sitting Andrew Bogut and playing a positionless wing player instead because we certainly don't want to fall behind the trend."

Comment

• If this actually happens JV should sign somewhere else in the off-season. The hell is the point of wasting your developing years in a system (and a coach) that clearly doesn't want you?

Comment

• distorsun wrote: View Post
                      BECAUSE Kerr is NOT an IDIOT and know How + When to use his personnel.
                      My question is how are all these 'stupid idiots' getting to Toronto? It is as if people in positions of influence don't care or have any respect for that matter about what it is we think about basketball.

You know what though, I'd like to put my name down on the stupid idiot waiting list because I'd love to coach or manage the Toronto Raptors. I hear the benefits are astounding.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        My question is how are all these 'stupid idiots' getting to Toronto? It is as if people in positions of influence don't care or have any respect for that matter about what it is we think about basketball.

You know what though, I'd like to put my name down on the stupid idiot waiting list because I'd love to coach or manage the Toronto Raptors. I hear the benefits are astounding.
                        I'm sure you're being sarcastic but if you're basing your coaching strategy based on what the trend in the league is as opposed to individual situations and teams that you face then you are a 'stupid idiot.'

Comment

If you haven't already, read Moneyball. Fantastic illustration of how objectively wrong thinking can exist in the highest levels of pro sports.

Or, we're all just haters.
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

If two coaches have 2 completely opposite view points, are they both right? Because y'know, paid professionals and stuff.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                              I'm sure you're being sarcastic but if you're basing your coaching strategy based on what the trend in the league is as opposed to individual situations and teams that you face then you are a 'stupid idiot.'
                              JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                              If you haven't already, read Moneyball. Fantastic illustration of how objectively wrong thinking can exist in the highest levels of pro sports.

Or, we're all just haters.
                              KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              If two coaches have 2 completely opposite view points, are they both right? Because y'know, paid professionals and stuff.
                              You can be wrong and not be an idiot. You can certainly have a differing opinion and not be an idiot.

Casey clearly is not an idiot. You guys are abusing the word 'idiot' and that's just stupid! (joking, come on, I love you guys)

But in all seriousness, he's been a failure at the head coach job as of late and is best fit as an assistant. He's in over his head but in a support role he'd do well. He's done well.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Its gonna be an interesting season. I really think this casey-JV thing will reach its boiling point by xmas. Its one thing to bench JJ, he's known league wide as a bench player. Even the american media knows JV is our best asset and has all star potential.
                                We'll see. People say a lot of stuff in the offseason about a lot of things and most of them never come to pass.

Look, Casey knows he needs to win a playoff round this year. There will not be another mulligan given. If he is rolling out a small ball lineup that is losing games, which is what will happen if he insists on it, then he is either going to try something different for the sake of his job (i.e. go big) or he will be fired. End of story.

And, given that they haven't played a single minute of ball yet it's premature to freak out about anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X