• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psrs1
    replied
    3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Read my post above
    I did. I just think we give these media/stats guys too much credit. Most posters know more of what goes on than these so called analysts.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Did he watch the Wizards series? Is this analysis based pre or post Jan 2 OT loss at Portland?
    Read my post above

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    Maybe you should read Vantage Sports once in a while.

"On the other end, the Raptors are one of the best offensive teams in the league, a large part of that being due to their success cutting without the ball, as further explained here by Josh Gutchess."

I'll take their word over yours, since these people are actually paid by NBA teams for their info.

http://www.vantagesports.com/story/V...D196/undefined
    Did he watch the Wizards series? Is this analysis based pre or post Jan 2 OT loss at Portland?

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    Axel wrote: View Post
    Full quote reads

"On the other end, the Raptors are one of the best offensive teams in the league, a large part of that being due to their success cutting without the ball, as further explained here by Josh Gutchess. Their offense moves and flows very well, particularly when most of their starting unit is on the court, and it will have to be at its best to defeat the Warriors, who possess a Points Allowed per Shot mark of 0.86, the lowest figure in the league."

The Raptors offence flows very well? Pretty sure that doesn't sound like the Raptors at all.

Plus the link you quoted, doesn't actually lead to any explanation.
    These people analyse over 16000 events per game, so they do see things we don't, That said, I agree the flow got worse as the year went on (this was from game 33). Also DD being out for half the season to that point also impacted the offence with less ISO play. Yeah, the link doesn't work, - they don't seem to archive much free material. I did read the story at the time. The Raptors did cut, although less than most teams, but were highly effective on their cutting.

Which brings me back to the original point. Despite the Raptors cutting effectively at the time,

Unfortunately for the Raptors, Valanciunas isn’t much of a passer, as he averages of 0.75 Assist+ per 100 Chances, one of the very lowest numbers in the league. As such, it is unlikely that Toronto will be able, or willing, to initiate a great deal of offense from their big man.

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied

"On the other end, the Raptors are one of the best offensive teams in the league, a large part of that being due to their success cutting without the ball, as further explained here by Josh Gutchess."

I'll take their word over yours, since these people are actually paid by NBA teams for their info.

Well, the Raps sure as hell weren't cutting without the ball when Lou was running his ridiculous end-of-period isos. Ditto for when Demar would set up shop on the perimeter. Just because they may be having 'success cutting without the ball' doesn't mean that it's happening all the time, and doesn't mean that all players are put in a position to participate.

Leave a comment:

• Axel
    replied
    Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Full quote reads

"On the other end, the Raptors are one of the best offensive teams in the league, a large part of that being due to their success cutting without the ball, as further explained here by Josh Gutchess. Their offense moves and flows very well, particularly when most of their starting unit is on the court, and it will have to be at its best to defeat the Warriors, who possess a Points Allowed per Shot mark of 0.86, the lowest figure in the league."

The Raptors offence flows very well? Pretty sure that doesn't sound like the Raptors at all.

Plus the link you quoted, doesn't actually lead to any explanation.

Leave a comment:

• Miekenstien
    replied

doesn't matter....casey

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    What cutters? Which outlets? Raps did a lot of clear-outs and rarely ran cutters for anybody last season. All part of the Casey strategy to minimize turnovers by eliminating passing, that was supposed to be the secret to winning in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    He is good enough to command double teams, he does command double teams, it's the kick out part that he has not mastered whatsoever (and as I noted earlier was in my opinion the reason Bayno was terminated). He hesitates far too long when doubled. Occasionally he gets stripped, rarely finds a cutter, or a quick outlet. Mostly he just wastes clock and ends up tossing back out to the perimeter.
    What cutters? Which outlets? Raps did a lot of clear-outs and rarely ran cutters for anybody last season. All part of the Casey strategy to minimize turnovers by eliminating passing, that was supposed to be the secret to winning in the playoffs.

Leave a comment:

• distorsun
    replied
    Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Well... I dont know about Rip or Prince instilling fear into anyone lol
    Everyone grew a few inches when BIG BEN was on the floor.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Link?
    Beat writers had it on Twitter

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    And Bayno wanted out.
    Link?

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    Except Pops quotes validate what Casey is doing.
    No it doesn't a C that commands a double is just as effective as guard penetration. Even Thib's scheme that doubles on the catch means an open shooter. Guard isolation versus Bulls style defense is dead

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Assuming that is correct, there is nothing like in game repetitions to hone that skill.

He has been benched since his first year as many posters around here pointed to the future and when games would actually matter.

These are things he should have already worked through and experienced.

A big part of his hesitation is catching the ball so far out - a symptom of the dreaded my turn your turn offense. The Raptors best big passer was AMIR. Guards and wings have no ability to get the ball inside in the sweet spots when the opportunity presents itself.

As for his turnovers, they have been decreasing quite steadily.

And Bayno wanted out.
    Also positioning for spacing is often terrible when we iso him in a post up. They often pull everyone to the weak side, presumably to give him space, but it also means there is no easy outlet from the double near him. It makes things very easy for the D because they can double him and still have all the passing lanes covered on that congested side of the court with just 3 defenders.

Not to mention the lack of motion. Let's put all our guys standing still in limited space that the D can easily cover while doubling the post.....just dumb.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    He is good enough to command double teams, he does command double teams, it's the kick out part that he has not mastered whatsoever (and as I noted earlier was in my opinion the reason Bayno was terminated). He hesitates far too long when doubled. Occasionally he gets stripped, rarely finds a cutter, or a quick outlet. Mostly he just wastes clock and ends up tossing back out to the perimeter.
    Assuming that is correct, there is nothing like in game repetitions to hone that skill.

He has been benched since his first year as many posters around here pointed to the future and when games would actually matter.

These are things he should have already worked through and experienced.

A big part of his hesitation is catching the ball so far out - a symptom of the dreaded my turn your turn offense. The Raptors best big passer was AMIR. Guards and wings have no ability to get the ball inside in the sweet spots when the opportunity presents itself.

As for his turnovers, they have been decreasing quite steadily.

And Bayno wanted out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X