Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13K to play basketball and living expenses ain't such a bad deal for 6 months. If you got some talent then you can always get noticed and play overseas for better coin. If you Can't crack an NBA roster and the only team that is interested in you is some second tier league Mexican team then maybe it's time to put that degree you got in college for good use.

Comment

• Its also 13K in US coin not Canadian afaik. They're living like Kings

Comment

• Katman wrote: View Post
        why are we assuming they will get tiny apartments? if the team is paying they could get something decent
        They won't be "tiny". They'll most likely live in a condo by square one or by Park Lawn & Lake Shore, where plenty of Raps have lived over the years. It won't be some bachelor pad in Malton...

Comment

• They don't get paid more because the d league doesn't have a TV deal, the tickets are dirt cheap and the stadiums are barely filled.

Believe me there are a lot of athletes that train full time with nothing but government grants, this is nothing new.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
            Think of it this way... With living expenses, health care (which admittedly doesn't matter as much in Canada but nonetheless), food, rent, transportation etc. taken care of, these guys get $13-25k take home, just for playing basketball! They don't even get taxed cause they make so little. There are people who make 40-50k a year who don't get that much in profits after a year!

And as for living in a tiny apartment with other dudes, most (if not all) of these guys went to college... It's basically college for them but with more money, less rules (and probably less "snatch" (*vroom vroom*))

Sign me up!
            The apartment, meal stipend, health care, transportation, etc... all count as taxable income. I suspect it doesn't add up to enough to make them pay much taxes, but when they file they aren't putting $13K as their income for the year.

Also, anyone who thinks they'll get the same housing as Raptors players is nuts. Their road per-diem is $40. Their housing is probably a step above section 8 housing.

Are any of the Canadian basketball leagues seasons staggered against the D-League so that these guys could maybe play in 2 leagues per year to increase their income?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              The apartment, meal stipend, health care, transportation, etc... all count as taxable income. I suspect it doesn't add up to enough to make them pay much taxes, but when they file they aren't putting $13K as their income for the year.

Also, anyone who thinks they'll get the same housing as Raptors players is nuts. Their road per-diem is $40. Their housing is probably a step above section 8 housing.

Are any of the Canadian basketball leagues seasons staggered against the D-League so that these guys could maybe play in 2 leagues per year to increase their income?
              all 3 overlap at some point

D-league is a 50gm season between late Nov to late April
              NLBC is a 32gm season between Nov to early Mar
              CBL is a 28gm season between early Dec to early Apr
              Last edited by RepTdot; Wed Jul 15, 2015, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• I'm really quite curious what these teams can offer in terms of housing, I'd assume the amount spent would depend on the city. With the 905s I'd hope they also get to use our practice facility and other Raptors-related accesses.

Also, I wonder what goes on under the table - Knicks got Thanassis to play for $25,000 instead of going back to Europe. How strict is the oversight on something like this? I imagine if Daniels stays to recoop with our training staff, he'll end up treated pretty well - and get to build relationships with Raptor-players and staff - despite the atrocious contract.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                  I'm really quite curious what these teams can offer in terms of housing, I'd assume the amount spent would depend on the city. With the 905s I'd hope they also get to use our practice facility and other Raptors-related accesses.

Also, I wonder what goes on under the table - Knicks got Thanassis to play for $25,000 instead of going back to Europe. How strict is the oversight on something like this? I imagine if Daniels stays to recoop with our training staff, he'll end up treated pretty well - and get to build relationships with Raptor-players and staff - despite the atrocious contract.
                  Thanassis had already played in the D-League the year before he was drafted (was selected 9th overall in D-League draft in 2013, then 51st overall in NBA draft in 2014), he probably just really didn't wanna move back to Greece, otherwise he wouldn't have come over to play for the Delaware 87ers in 2013 instead of staying in Greece.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                    Thanassis had already played in the D-League the year before he was drafted (was selected 9th overall in D-League draft in 2013, then 51st overall in NBA draft in 2014), he probably just really didn't wanna move back to Greece, otherwise he wouldn't have come over to play for the Delaware 87ers in 2013 instead of staying in Greece.
                    It would be similar with Daniels given the time he's spent in Toronto this season. He's already gotten to know his D-league teammates Bruno, Bebe, et al. Not sure what his housing situation is but would be surprised if he's retained a home in Perth.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                      It would be similar with Daniels given the time he's spent in Toronto this season. He's already gotten to know his D-league teammates Bruno, Bebe, et al. Not sure what his housing situation is but would be surprised if he's retained a home in Perth.
                      It's all about more money (abroad) or a shot at actually playing in the NBA (their dream). They can always go play in Europe/Australia/China/Wherever in a few years if they never make the jump to NBA, but better to give it a shot while their young and hungry.

Comment

• Everything Raptors 905's

I thought I would start a thread about our D league affiliated team, the Raptors 905's so we can keep tabs on it throughout the year without mixing the discussions with what the Toronto Raptors NBA team is doing.

http://raptors905.dleague.nba.com/

FAQ's

http://raptors905.dleague.nba.com/raptors-905-faqs/

Comment

• This is a good resource: a Coon-esque FAQ for the D-League.

http://upsidemotor.com/2015/04/29/nb...nts-affiliate/
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Should merge it with the other Raptors 905 thread

Comment

• I think I got all of the threads. If you see one I missed let me know.

Comment

• oseebhai wrote: View Post
                                Still kind of wish they went 'GTA' as the city name though.
                                That doesn't have as much meaning to those outside of the GTA.

Comment

Working...
                                X