This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
    30K is a low end job... They should at least be paying them 50-60K. That's living comfortably so the player shouldn't have an issue with getting a D-League salary.

4 rounds of drafting would be heavenly.
    ESPN's Marc Stein:

(D League)Salaries remain flat: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000 for the league's three player classifications, which means D-League players are virtually playing for free -- and a modest per diem on the road of $40 compared to $120 in the NBA -- although they do receive housing and insurance benefits. The D-League also employs a per-team salary cap of $173,000
    http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/p...ps-off-in-reno

Comment

You'd think the NBA would dip into its endless money supply and pay these guys at least an average salary.

Comment

If they paid the guys 50K per year, a somewhat fair amount, even if there were 30 D-League teams (because eventually there will be) salaries for all the players would be 22.5M. If you had the NBA pay 7.5M per year, it would only cost each team 500K a year. Basically a min contract.

Really wouldn't give a hit to anyone, NBA can easily find 7.5M in its budget, 500K to any franchise is not gonna make a huge difference, but it makes the D-League so much more credible because players that are drafted by a team don't have to get stashed overseas and so that raises the overall talent level of the league. Also, I'm not sure why they don't have 30 teams yet because that allows every NBA fan to have a D-League team to be a fan of. Personally I find it hard to root for the Mad Ants when I know that the team is barely even affiliated with the Raptors.

Not to mention the D-League would be on the same skill level of some teams overseas so a "Supercup" of sorts could be played once a year by say the best 4 teams in the D-League and 4 of the top teams in Europe and help Silver globalize the game even more.

Endless potential in an affiliate league for the NBA and it's sad that it isn't as far along as it should be but I'm sure it'll get there eventually.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
          If they paid the guys 50K per year, a somewhat fair amount, even if there were 30 D-League teams (because eventually there will be) salaries for all the players would be 22.5M. If you had the NBA pay 7.5M per year, it would only cost each team 500K a year. Basically a min contract.

Really wouldn't give a hit to anyone, NBA can easily find 7.5M in its budget, 500K to any franchise is not gonna make a huge difference, but it makes the D-League so much more credible because players that are drafted by a team don't have to get stashed overseas and so that raises the overall talent level of the league. Also, I'm not sure why they don't have 30 teams yet because that allows every NBA fan to have a D-League team to be a fan of. Personally I find it hard to root for the Mad Ants when I know that the team is barely even affiliated with the Raptors.

Not to mention the D-League would be on the same skill level of some teams overseas so a "Supercup" of sorts could be played once a year by say the best 4 teams in the D-League and 4 of the top teams in Europe and help Silver globalize the game even more.

Endless potential in an affiliate league for the NBA and it's sad that it isn't as far along as it should be but I'm sure it'll get there eventually.
          There aren't 30 teams yet because the teams have to pony up $6M and typically run the team, and the NBA isn't forcing teams to do that. It is getting closer to reality though, with the Raptors and Hornets both adding their own DLeague team, bringing the total DLeague teams up to 20, with 19 single team affiliates, and 11 teams sharing the Mad Ants. Probably only a few years away from every team having their own affiliate, especially since it appears to be paying off for a lot of teams like Houston.

As far as paying DLeague players more, that will likely be a function of how popular the DLegaue becomes. Minor League hockey like AHL can pay more because people go to games and give a shit. That hasn't really been true of the DLegaue. I'd imagine if they go to 4 round drafts with rounds 3 and 4 being for DLeague, the guys drafted in rounds 3 and 4 could start at higher salaries than undrafted DLeague guys, and of course the guys drafted in rounds 1 and 2 who are assigned to DLegaue would be paid their NBA salary.

Comment

I think the way the NBA is developing its only a matter of time before all 30 teams have its own d-league team. I agree with Bonus, 25K min salary is pathetic...it should be 40-50k min to keep these guys out of poverty. It wouldn't even cost much...to elaborate on Bonus thoughts...if there were 30 teams (12man roster) in the D-league with each having its max 4 NBA contracted players then each D-League team would be responsible for the salaries of 8 players (min.$50K= $400K), the D-league as a whole would only have a floor of $12M commitment in salary across 30 teams!
            Last edited by RepTdot; Thu Jun 4, 2015, 11:26 AM.

Comment

If they go to each team having their own affiliate why would the NBA pay for any of the salaries? Does the NHL or MLB pay for their un-signed minor league players?

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                If they go to each team having their own affiliate why would the NBA pay for any of the salaries? Does the NHL or MLB pay for their un-signed minor league players?
                under current rules...a d-league team can have a max for 4 NBA contracted players (see Bruno, Bebe) whose salaries are covered by the NBA franchise...the rest of the contracts are the d-league teams responsibility

Comment

the whole point of each team having its own affiliate would be so the NBA team could place and focus development on up to 4 players in its minor system right, those 4 players would have to be paid by the NBA
                  Last edited by RepTdot; Thu Jun 4, 2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

On my phone so I'm way too lazy to multi quote.

Primer- good point about why every team doesn't have one yet. But about the popularity of the d-league I think it goes hand in hand with raising salaries. Raising salaries eliminates the need to stash guys which raises the talent level in the league. 30 teams would mean a lot more fans, not to mention rivalries would be made, etc. If the pay isn't raised, players will continue to be stashed overseas and the d-league will continue being filled with scrubs.

RepTDot- although it's very possible it is that cheap, you kind of have to find the max. So 15 player squads, no NBA contract guys, 30 teams, 50K would mean 22.5M.

Letter N- I just suggested that because the NBA profits from having a competent D-League. But even if they didn't, the 22.5M would only cost each team 750K.

RepTDot again- right now yeah it's pretty much just 4 since barely any drafted players agree to being paid 25K (Max) per year. If they were paying 50K a year you would be able to convince your second round picks to stay in the D-League and not give them an NBA contract, letting you develop much more than just 4 players.

Comment

The d-league will raise the floor of their minimum salaries when they can't get any talent because the pay is too low. Most of the guys in the d-league would be able to get better contracts in Europe or Asia but chose to play in the d-league for a variety of reasons. For the ones that couldn't get a contract in Europe or Asia it's because they aren't good enough which means they should probably consider a new career path.

Also, the problem with increasing the d-league to 30 teams is that you will dilute the talent pool. For those of you keen on raising the minimum pay it'll only act to keep it low.

Playing in the d-league isn't a career, it's a chance to develop and hopefully make it into the pros. There's a lot of people out there that would play for free if they thought they had a chance.
                      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                      Because its 2015

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
                        I think the way the NBA is developing its only a matter of time before all 30 teams have its own d-league team. I agree with Bonus, 25K min salary is pathetic...it should be 40-50k min to keep these guys out of poverty. It wouldn't even cost much...to elaborate on Bonus thoughts...if there were 30 teams (12man roster) in the D-league with each having its max 4 NBA contracted players then each D-League team would be responsible for the salaries of 8 players (min.$50K= $400K), the D-league as a whole would only have a floor of $12M commitment in salary across 30 teams!
                        The minimum salary is $13K. The max salary is $25K for non NBA contract guys. I'm fine with them keeping the min where it is, but they should just up the max to $100K for 3rd round picks, and $50K for 4th round picks. They could also raise the min if the league starts making money. Maybe give the teams a cap (which doesn't include NBA contract players) and let them spend as much as they want up to the cap. DLeague will be less about wins and losses and more about development, especially since a teams best player is highly likely to get called up during the season.

Until the 3rd and 4th becomes a reality:
                        The $25K max is why a guy like Daniels would probably still go to Australia even if we had our own affiliate. I don't think he'd want to play for our DLeague team for only $25K for the off chance of getting a 10 day contract. Teams should at least be able to pay their 2nd round picks more to play in the DLeague without having to use an NBA roster spot (the only way to pay a 2nd round pick more in the current setup).

Comment

Mississauga

Welcome to Mississauga, Raptors D-League for Fall 2015!!!

Huge news!!
                          http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

New D-League Team "Raptors 905s" *Subject to change* via Doug Smith

D-League team to be announced monday!
                            http://m.thestar.com/#/article/sports/raptors/2015/06/24/raptors-to-announce-d-league-team-will-play-in-mississauga-this-season.html

Comment

Nice. Excited for it. Sauga too. Like I said in the other (one of the many others lol) thread this was posted in, I hope the beer is cheaper there.
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

If this report is true, Doug still has his reporting chops

Comment

Working...
                                X