Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well folks the 905 season is over and personally I'm closing the book on the bruno caboclo experiment.

From 14 pts 1.8 assists last year to 9.9 pts 1.2 assists on 40% shooting? Yuck. And I don't wanna hear "his defensive awareness may be starting to show signs"

I highly doubt bruno caboclo is going to be the guy to break all nba convention and go from bad to good in his mid 20s

No big deal. Masai stepped to the plate, swung and missed at a curve ball. Then he singled with Delon wright and hit a double off the wall with norman powell. All good.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Well folks the 905 season is over and personally I'm closing the book on the bruno caboclo experiment.

From 14 pts 1.8 assists last year to 9.9 pts 1.2 assists on 40% shooting? Yuck. And I don't wanna hear "his defensive awareness may be starting to show signs"

I highly doubt bruno caboclo is going to be the guy to break all nba convention and go from bad to good in his mid 20s

No big deal. Masai stepped to the plate, swung and missed at a curve ball. Then he singled with Delon wright and hit a double off the wall with norman powell. All good.
      You willing to bet he doesn't get a 2nd contract with us (after next year)? Are you convinced that Masai will cut him loose?

I have to think that this experience learning to play a role with a winning program in the 905 will pay dividends down the road. Playoffs start tomorrow.

PS - watched the NCAA final yesterday and Bruno looks better than that highly touted Justin Jackson kid did.
      Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Tue Apr 4, 2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Well folks the 905 season is over and personally I'm closing the book on the bruno caboclo experiment.

Considering he's already under contract for next year, I'm going to go ahead and give it another year.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Tavares is in his mid twenties. Bruno is still only 21.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            You willing to bet he doesn't get a 2nd contract with us (after next year)? Are you convinced that Masai will cut him loose?

I have to think that this experience learning to play a role with a winning program in the 905 will pay dividends down the road. Playoffs start tomorrow.

PS - watched the NCAA final yesterday and Bruno looks better than that highly touted Justin Jackson kid did.
            I didn't watch the final but I saw most of Jackson's other tourney games this yr and a number of his games in past yrs. I was interested in him when he was projected as a bubble 1st Rd guy but not as a bubble lottery pick (obviously that's out of our range anyway). Not sure I see the comp to Bruno or can say one way or the other who is better? Id probably put Jackson ahead at this point but I think Bruno has more upside. The guy I'd comp Bruno with is Mikal bridges. I think Mikal also needs another yr. He should get more usage now that Hart is gone.
            Will be great to see Bruno go against these guys in LVSL but I think he's capped at 3 yrs eligibility?

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

If he doesn't show signs next year yes masai would cut him loose. Otherwise the best I'm hoping for now is a 10th man that will play for the minimum and be used as an emergency spot up shooting power forward

Comment

If he doesn't show signs next year yes masai would cut him loose. Otherwise the best I'm hoping for now is a 10th man that will play for the minimum and be used as an emergency spot up shooting power forward
                So you haven't quite given up on him yet. You're basically giving him next year to show signs (which was the development plan from Day 1, I might add). Also, 10th-man on a contender is nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

• Bruno plays less minutes per game than he played last year.
                  Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    Bruno plays less minutes per game than he played last year.
                    The 905 weren't the best/deepest team last season. Bruno's role has also changed substantially.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                      Bruno plays less minutes per game than he played last year.
                      He has not improved one bit imo. I give Skywalker all the credit for watching these games and carrying the banner for Caboclo though. Good fan.

Comment

• Hear that the 905's playoffs begin tonight. Will probably do a bit of scoreboard watching. Pretty cool to have the best record in the entire league while only being around for 2 or 3 years.

Testament to the types of players Masai and his team have drafted/scouted and to what Stackhouse has been able to do on the court with them.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Hear that the 905's playoffs begin tonight. Will probably do a bit of scoreboard watching. Pretty cool to have the best record in the entire league while only being around for 2 or 3 years.

Testament to the types of players Masai and his team have drafted/scouted and to what Stackhouse has been able to do on the court with them.
                          lol I'm sorry I'm with you on Stackhouse but it's no testament to his drafting when none of them have become anything more than rotation players at best. It only speaks volumes of Stackhouse's coaching that he got a bunch of guys that are usually in the D-League chucking up shots, hoping to get noticed to buy in to playing into a system. That's impressive that both Stack and Masai somehow got guys to buy in but it doesn't say shit about being good at drafting.

A statement like that would make a lot more sense if we were like SAS that managed to find a Parker, Manu or Kawhi later in the draft. Our best pick so far has been Norman Powell (he might be equivalent to Jonathan Simmons) who if you watch Open Gym, Masai wasn't even that hot on but literally said something like "do you want to give this guy a shot?!"....that's not great scouting, that's luck. His 1st rd picks have all been rotation players that are nothing to go home and brag about with the exception of Bruno who just looks like a waste of a pick for the most part. If anything it almost seems a bit lazy as he seems to be drafting by PER ratings. I'm not trying to completely discredit him because it's not like he pissed away pick after pick on busts like SAC has been (although it may be turning around) but his draft track record since joining TOR is nothing spectacular.

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post
                            lol I'm sorry I'm with you on Stackhouse but it's no testament to his drafting when none of them have become anything more than rotation players at best. It only speaks volumes of Stackhouse's coaching that he got a bunch of guys that are usually in the D-League chucking up shots, hoping to get noticed to buy in to playing into a system. That's impressive that both Stack and Masai somehow got guys to buy in but it doesn't say shit about being good at drafting.

A statement like that would make a lot more sense if we were like SAS that managed to find a Parker, Manu or Kawhi later in the draft. Our best pick so far has been Norman Powell (he might be equivalent to Jonathan Simmons) who if you watch Open Gym, Masai wasn't even that hot on but literally said something like "do you want to give this guy a shot?!"....that's not great scouting, that's luck. His 1st rd picks have all been rotation players that are nothing to go home and brag about with the exception of Bruno who just looks like a waste of a pick for the most part. If anything it almost seems a bit lazy as he seems to be drafting by PER ratings. I'm not trying to completely discredit him because it's not like he pissed away pick after pick on busts like SAC has been (although it may be turning around) but his draft track record since joining TOR is nothing spectacular.
                            Hard to say how the 2016 draft will pan out. It's too early. Poeltl will be around a long time. Not a star but a guy that will make it in the league. Siakam is hit or miss. Needs a shot, and an IQ. Although he's apparently looking great against scrubs. Just needs the game to slow down for him and I think he'll be alright. I would have much preferred Skal but I wanted Skal at 9. It could be that we had Bebe on the roster already and Masai may have thought Bebe was going to be better.. not sure. I'll give him a solid C- on that pick. It's way too early to say though how he pans out.

Wright is great. I think he did great with that pick in 2015. I wanted RHJ and Harrell, and never even thought of Wright when the draft rolled around. But I love Wright. Never understood the fascination over Portis. Wright's going to be great once he develops a shot. Love his IQ.

And then we have Bruno and Daniels. Bruno has been discussed ad nauseum. I wanted Capela.. Masai went for a home run and failed. Might end up as a rotation piece. Ended up with the 905's out of it. Daniels was a fail but other than Jokic, I don't really see anyone in that second round that would have been a great pickup. Maybe Powell but if Daniels never got hurt maybe he'd still be in the game.

Anyway it's still a big deal to know that Masai helped get the best record in the D League. Sure you can give a lot of credit to Stack.. but he also needs players to do what he asks. Masai brought in good character kids that want to learn and play hard. That's a skill as well.

Comment

• Big first playoff W. 41 points from Toupane. The video doesn't seem to be archived, was it available live on FB?

Comment

• JamesNaismith wrote: View Post

But pre-draft you would be talking about how all the guys Masai drafted have all-star potential. If you look at every other GM they don't draft a superstar every year. The draft is great but it's a crap shoot and I'm sure you aren't the best talent evaluator in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X