Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time To Retire Divisions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Time To Retire Divisions?

    Silver came out yesterday and said rather strongly that while it's not official it looks like division winners will no longer be guaranteed a playoff spot:

    Adam Silver says the NBA is leaning toward not guaranteeing a playoff spot to a team that wins its division.

    Silver said Wednesday no decision has been made, but he believes it’s likely that teams will qualify for the post-season only if they have one of the top eight records in their conference.

    Division winners are currently guaranteed no worse than the No. 4 seed, though that’s expected to be changed before next season.
    He says no team has won its division without a top eight record, and league officials estimate there’s less than a 5 per cent chance it could happen.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle25630748/

    Here's the thing, what meaning does a division really have if they remove the only reward for winning it? And yeah, I know someone will point out scheduling and rivalries but that can all exist without divisions. I would not be shocked if you saw them disappear shortly after this comes into affect. No need to hang on to old relics with no point to them.

  • #2
    Eliminate them. It's enough to have conferences, to encourage regional rivalries and to lower travel costs. On the other hand, I don't know how much ticket prices would have to go up to have all teams play all other teams an equal number of times. Probably not significantly.

    Comment


    • #3
      But if we get rid of the divisions we won't be able to delude ourselves that we are good.

      Seriously, they are not useful anymore if they don't influence the seeding. Could you imagine winning the division and still not having a record good enough to make the playoffs LOL

      Comment


      • #4
        my ideal NBA: eliminate divisions, eliminate conferences, 58 game season (play everyone twice, home and away), no back to backs.

        Comment


        • #5
          It would basically just be for scheduling purposes, but the NBA isn't like the NHL - there is barely any difference between number of games against divisional rivals versus number of games against conference rivals. So really no purpose at all.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

          Comment


          • #6
            KHD wrote: View Post
            my ideal NBA: eliminate divisions, eliminate conferences, 58 game season (play everyone twice, home and away).
            Will never happen. Means a roughly 30% pay cut for all involved.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

            Comment


            • #7
              DanH wrote: View Post
              Will never happen. Means a roughly 30% pay cut for all involved.
              oh i know.

              I'm speaking purely on my own selfish interests, I would rather watch a few less games if i could see the teams at their "best" (i.e. not on the 2nd night of a b2b).

              Comment


              • #8
                So everyone agrees? This must be a forum first.

                Ah... I guess there's nothing left to say now. Well played everyone, well played.

                Comment


                • #9
                  YES. Let's CLOSE THE THREAD NOW before someone starts to talk bout DD's 3point shooting.

                  Apollo wrote: View Post
                  So everyone agrees? This must be a forum first.

                  Ah... I guess there's nothing left to say now. Well played everyone, well played.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    distorsun wrote: View Post
                    YES. Let's CLOSE THE THREAD NOW before someone starts to talk bout DD's 3point shooting.
                    He would be exposed with more games against the Western Conference.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Peace for a fleeting moment and then, poof, gone.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Tbh I wish divisional rivalries were emphasized more in the NBA like it is in the NFL and MLB.

                        Imo the league would be better if you added 2 expansion teams and went with 2 conferences (non-geographical) and 4 divisions in each (geographical) like the NFL does.

                        ABC Conference:

                        EAST
                        Toronto Raptors
                        New York Knicks
                        Boston Celtics
                        Miami Heat

                        NORTH
                        Denver Nuggets
                        Oklahoma City Thunder
                        Dallas Mavericks
                        Utah Jazz

                        SOUTH
                        Memphis Grizzlies
                        Orlando Magic
                        Charlotte Hornets
                        Houston Rockets

                        WEST
                        Sacramento Kings
                        Los Angeles Lakers
                        Golden State Warriors
                        Las Vegas

                        NBC Conference:

                        EAST
                        Cleveland Cavaliers
                        Washington Wizards
                        Philadelphia 76ers
                        Brooklyn Nets

                        NORTH
                        Chicago Bulls
                        Minnesota Timberwolves
                        Milwaukee Bucks
                        Detroit Pistons

                        SOUTH
                        Atlanta Hawks
                        Indiana Pacers
                        New Orleans Pelicans
                        San Antonio Spurs

                        WEST
                        Portland Trailblazers
                        Seattle Sonics
                        Los Angeles Clippers
                        Phoenix Suns


                        Division winners make playoffs and 2 wild cards, so last year based on records:

                        ABC Playoffs:
                        1.) GSW
                        2.) HOU
                        3.) DAL
                        4.) TOR
                        WC: MEM
                        WC: OKC

                        NBC Playoffs:
                        1.) ATL
                        2.) LAC
                        3.) CLE
                        4.) CHI
                        WC: SAS
                        WC: POR


                        Wild Card Rounds:
                        3.) DAL vs. 6.) OKC
                        4.) TOR vs. 5.) MEM

                        3.) CLE vs. 6.) POR
                        4.) CHI vs. 5.) SAS


                        Still get 4 rounds of playoffs, just top 2 seeds get a bye. First round becomes much more unpredictable and competitive.

                        EDIT: To get enough games out of this. Play your division rivals 6 times each (18), conference 3 times (36), other conference 2 times (32). That's an 86 game schedule
                        Last edited by JWash; Thu Jul 23rd, 2015, 10:57 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think maybe they should adopt an NHL style division system, where it's only 2 divisions per conference,

                          That way the top 2 seeds are guaranteed, cause they probably would deserve it and then everyone else fights for 6 wildcard spots

                          They could even do a mark Cuban style thing where the top 2 get byes and 8 wildcard qualify
                          A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            JWash wrote: View Post
                            Tbh I wish divisional rivalries were emphasized more in the NBA like it is in the NFL and MLB.

                            Imo the league would be better if you added 2 expansion teams and went with 2 conferences (non-geographical) and 4 divisions in each (geographical) like the NFL does.

                            ABC Conference:

                            EAST
                            Toronto Raptors
                            New York Knicks
                            Boston Celtics
                            Miami Heat

                            NORTH
                            Denver Nuggets
                            Oklahoma City Thunder
                            Dallas Mavericks
                            Utah Jazz

                            SOUTH
                            Memphis Grizzlies
                            Orlando Magic
                            Charlotte Hornets
                            Houston Rockets

                            WEST
                            Sacramento Kings
                            Los Angeles Lakers
                            Golden State Warriors
                            Las Vegas

                            NBC Conference:

                            EAST
                            Cleveland Cavaliers
                            Washington Wizards
                            Philadelphia 76ers
                            Brooklyn Nets

                            NORTH
                            Chicago Bulls
                            Minnesota Timberwolves
                            Milwaukee Bucks
                            Detroit Pistons

                            SOUTH
                            Atlanta Hawks
                            Indiana Pacers
                            New Orleans Pelicans
                            San Antonio Spurs

                            WEST
                            Portland Trailblazers
                            Seattle Sonics
                            Los Angeles Clippers
                            Phoenix Suns


                            Division winners make playoffs and 2 wild cards, so last year based on records:

                            ABC Playoffs:
                            1.) GSW
                            2.) HOU
                            3.) DAL
                            4.) TOR
                            WC: MEM
                            WC: OKC

                            NBC Playoffs:
                            1.) ATL
                            2.) LAC
                            3.) CLE
                            4.) CHI
                            WC: SAS
                            WC: POR


                            Wild Card Rounds:
                            3.) DAL vs. 6.) OKC
                            4.) TOR vs. 5.) MEM

                            3.) CLE vs. 6.) POR
                            4.) CHI vs. 5.) SAS


                            Still get 4 rounds of playoffs, just top 2 seeds get a bye. First round becomes much more unpredictable and competitive.

                            EDIT: To get enough games out of this. Play your division rivals 6 times each (18), conference 3 times (36), other conference 2 times (32). That's an 86 game schedule
                            we the east? thats a lot of merch needing to be redone!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I also like Cuban's suggestion of 10 teams (based on record) making the playoffs in each conference. My own preference in addition is to somehow reduce the number of reg. season games...I think the number of back-to-backs (or 3 in 4 nights) are too many and probably lead to more injury. Having a longer playoff season should mitigate some the loss of revenue of shortened reg. season.

                              Some of these decisions would have to be part of new cba discussions.

                              http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/16/mar...expansion-idea

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X