Time To Retire Divisions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Here's the thing, what meaning does a division really have if they remove the only reward for winning it?
    You'd still get a semi-meaningless banner to hang from the rafters
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
      I also like Cuban's suggestion of 10 teams (based on record) making the playoffs in each conference. My own preference in addition is to somehow reduce the number of reg. season games...I think the number of back-to-backs (or 3 in 4 nights) are too many and probably lead to more injury. Having a longer playoff season should mitigate some the loss of revenue of shortened reg. season.

Some of these decisions would have to be part of new cba discussions.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/16/mar...expansion-idea
      People debate the injury risk angle and will argue the young guys can handle it, but just from an entertainment perspective there's a lot of coasting/self-preservation in an 82 game season. If anyone questioned that before, Pops has made it pretty damn clear.

It will never happen, but fewer games would make each game that much more competitive. That's why football is so great and I even remember the lockout shortened NHL season being better than usual. Half as many games and good parity meant no time for regular season coasting.

But we all know $$$ makes these decisions.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I also like Cuban's suggestion of 10 teams (based on record) making the playoffs in each conference. My own preference in addition is to somehow reduce the number of reg. season games...I think the number of back-to-backs (or 3 in 4 nights) are too many and probably lead to more injury. Having a longer playoff season should mitigate some the loss of revenue of shortened reg. season.

Some of these decisions would have to be part of new cba discussions.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/16/mar...expansion-idea
        I doubt the PA signs on to something like that because it means pay cuts.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
          my ideal NBA: eliminate divisions, eliminate conferences, 58 game season (play everyone twice, home and away), no back to backs.
          They could do 87 game regular season play everyone three times eliminate preseason. Total cost to SSH is same , same money for league and players . All teams have identical schedule. Only whining could be back to backs.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I doubt the PA signs on to something like that because it means pay cuts.
            It's a pay cut BUT it's also less profit for the owners. The cba currently calls for a revenue split percentage between players & owners. So, I dont understand the sense of money disadvantage to either party while reducing fatigue, injury for the betterment of the product and indeed more facetime at the peeling parlours

Comment

It's a pay cut BUT it's also less profit for the owners. The cba currently calls for a revenue split percentage between players & owners. So, I dont understand the sense of money disadvantage to either party while reducing fatigue, injury for the betterment of the product and indeed more facetime at the peeling parlours
              You could argue for a long-term vision for shortening the season where more entertaining and competitive regular season games mean one day your revenue streams catch back up to or surpass current levels. As a point of comparison, look at how wildly successful the NFL is (total $$ wise) with far fewer games than baseball/basketball/hockey. Huge sporting events like the Olympics also draw people in and generate massive $$ for a pretty short "season" with a do-or-die element to all the events. Shorter season = more consequential games = more competitive play = better entertainment = more fans. Same reason people love March Madness.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

The NFL is on another level for reasons which don't have much to do with the number of games. It would be in everyone's best interest to extend the regular season in the NFL if it weren't for the violent nature of the sport preventing that from happening.

I agree though that it feels like the NBA has too many pointless games. They could slash the schedule in half and every game then would feel like it mattered. I do not think they make up for the TV, gate and merchandise revenue though.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Goodbye Atlantic Advantage.
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                  X