• Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Goodbye Atlantic Advantage.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    The NFL is on another level for reasons which don't have much to do with the number of games. It would be in everyone's best interest to extend the regular season in the NFL if it weren't for the violent nature of the sport preventing that from happening.

I agree though that it feels like the NBA has too many pointless games. They could slash the schedule in half and every game then would feel like it mattered. I do not think they make up for the TV, gate and merchandise revenue though.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    Bendit wrote: View Post
    It's a pay cut BUT it's also less profit for the owners. The cba currently calls for a revenue split percentage between players & owners. So, I dont understand the sense of money disadvantage to either party while reducing fatigue, injury for the betterment of the product and indeed more facetime at the peeling parlours
    You could argue for a long-term vision for shortening the season where more entertaining and competitive regular season games mean one day your revenue streams catch back up to or surpass current levels. As a point of comparison, look at how wildly successful the NFL is (total $$ wise) with far fewer games than baseball/basketball/hockey. Huge sporting events like the Olympics also draw people in and generate massive $$ for a pretty short "season" with a do-or-die element to all the events. Shorter season = more consequential games = more competitive play = better entertainment = more fans. Same reason people love March Madness.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    I doubt the PA signs on to something like that because it means pay cuts.
    It's a pay cut BUT it's also less profit for the owners. The cba currently calls for a revenue split percentage between players & owners. So, I dont understand the sense of money disadvantage to either party while reducing fatigue, injury for the betterment of the product and indeed more facetime at the peeling parlours

Leave a comment:

• psrs1
    replied
    KHD wrote: View Post
    my ideal NBA: eliminate divisions, eliminate conferences, 58 game season (play everyone twice, home and away), no back to backs.
    They could do 87 game regular season play everyone three times eliminate preseason. Total cost to SSH is same , same money for league and players . All teams have identical schedule. Only whining could be back to backs.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I also like Cuban's suggestion of 10 teams (based on record) making the playoffs in each conference. My own preference in addition is to somehow reduce the number of reg. season games...I think the number of back-to-backs (or 3 in 4 nights) are too many and probably lead to more injury. Having a longer playoff season should mitigate some the loss of revenue of shortened reg. season.

Some of these decisions would have to be part of new cba discussions.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/16/mar...expansion-idea
    I doubt the PA signs on to something like that because it means pay cuts.

Leave a comment:

• S.R.
    replied
    I also like Cuban's suggestion of 10 teams (based on record) making the playoffs in each conference. My own preference in addition is to somehow reduce the number of reg. season games...I think the number of back-to-backs (or 3 in 4 nights) are too many and probably lead to more injury. Having a longer playoff season should mitigate some the loss of revenue of shortened reg. season.

People debate the injury risk angle and will argue the young guys can handle it, but just from an entertainment perspective there's a lot of coasting/self-preservation in an 82 game season. If anyone questioned that before, Pops has made it pretty damn clear.

It will never happen, but fewer games would make each game that much more competitive. That's why football is so great and I even remember the lockout shortened NHL season being better than usual. Half as many games and good parity meant no time for regular season coasting.

But we all know $$$ makes these decisions.

Leave a comment:

• 3inthekeon
    replied
    Here's the thing, what meaning does a division really have if they remove the only reward for winning it?
    You'd still get a semi-meaningless banner to hang from the rafters

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• iblastoff
    replied
    JWash wrote: View Post
    Tbh I wish divisional rivalries were emphasized more in the NBA like it is in the NFL and MLB.

Imo the league would be better if you added 2 expansion teams and went with 2 conferences (non-geographical) and 4 divisions in each (geographical) like the NFL does.

ABC Conference:

EAST
    Toronto Raptors
    New York Knicks
    Boston Celtics
    Miami Heat

NORTH
    Denver Nuggets
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Dallas Mavericks
    Utah Jazz

SOUTH
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Orlando Magic
    Charlotte Hornets
    Houston Rockets

WEST
    Sacramento Kings
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Golden State Warriors
    Las Vegas

NBC Conference:

EAST
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Washington Wizards
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Brooklyn Nets

NORTH
    Chicago Bulls
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Detroit Pistons

SOUTH
    Atlanta Hawks
    Indiana Pacers
    New Orleans Pelicans
    San Antonio Spurs

WEST
    Portland Trailblazers
    Seattle Sonics
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Phoenix Suns

Division winners make playoffs and 2 wild cards, so last year based on records:

ABC Playoffs:
    1.) GSW
    2.) HOU
    3.) DAL
    4.) TOR
    WC: MEM
    WC: OKC

NBC Playoffs:
    1.) ATL
    2.) LAC
    3.) CLE
    4.) CHI
    WC: SAS
    WC: POR

Wild Card Rounds:
    3.) DAL vs. 6.) OKC
    4.) TOR vs. 5.) MEM

3.) CLE vs. 6.) POR
    4.) CHI vs. 5.) SAS

Still get 4 rounds of playoffs, just top 2 seeds get a bye. First round becomes much more unpredictable and competitive.

EDIT: To get enough games out of this. Play your division rivals 6 times each (18), conference 3 times (36), other conference 2 times (32). That's an 86 game schedule
    we the east? thats a lot of merch needing to be redone!

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    I think maybe they should adopt an NHL style division system, where it's only 2 divisions per conference,

That way the top 2 seeds are guaranteed, cause they probably would deserve it and then everyone else fights for 6 wildcard spots

They could even do a mark Cuban style thing where the top 2 get byes and 8 wildcard qualify

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied
    Tbh I wish divisional rivalries were emphasized more in the NBA like it is in the NFL and MLB.

Imo the league would be better if you added 2 expansion teams and went with 2 conferences (non-geographical) and 4 divisions in each (geographical) like the NFL does.

ABC Conference:

EAST
    Toronto Raptors
    New York Knicks
    Boston Celtics
    Miami Heat

NORTH
    Denver Nuggets
    Oklahoma City Thunder
    Dallas Mavericks
    Utah Jazz

SOUTH
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Orlando Magic
    Charlotte Hornets
    Houston Rockets

WEST
    Sacramento Kings
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Golden State Warriors
    Las Vegas

NBC Conference:

EAST
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Washington Wizards
    Philadelphia 76ers
    Brooklyn Nets

NORTH
    Chicago Bulls
    Minnesota Timberwolves
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Detroit Pistons

SOUTH
    Atlanta Hawks
    Indiana Pacers
    New Orleans Pelicans
    San Antonio Spurs

WEST
    Portland Trailblazers
    Seattle Sonics
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Phoenix Suns

Division winners make playoffs and 2 wild cards, so last year based on records:

ABC Playoffs:
    1.) GSW
    2.) HOU
    3.) DAL
    4.) TOR
    WC: MEM
    WC: OKC

NBC Playoffs:
    1.) ATL
    2.) LAC
    3.) CLE
    4.) CHI
    WC: SAS
    WC: POR

Wild Card Rounds:
    3.) DAL vs. 6.) OKC
    4.) TOR vs. 5.) MEM

3.) CLE vs. 6.) POR
    4.) CHI vs. 5.) SAS

Still get 4 rounds of playoffs, just top 2 seeds get a bye. First round becomes much more unpredictable and competitive.

EDIT: To get enough games out of this. Play your division rivals 6 times each (18), conference 3 times (36), other conference 2 times (32). That's an 86 game schedule
    Last edited by JWash; Thu Jul 23, 2015, 10:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    Peace for a fleeting moment and then, poof, gone.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    distorsun wrote: View Post
    YES. Let's CLOSE THE THREAD NOW before someone starts to talk bout DD's 3point shooting.
    He would be exposed with more games against the Western Conference.

Leave a comment:

• distorsun
    replied
    YES. Let's CLOSE THE THREAD NOW before someone starts to talk bout DD's 3point shooting.

So everyone agrees? This must be a forum first.

Ah... I guess there's nothing left to say now. Well played everyone, well played.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X