Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's your favourite Raptor of all-time and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zan Tabak

Comment

I look back at that Vince dunk contest and I get this feeling in my gut that brings it all back. I'll watch a replay of the playoff games against Iverson, or better, Spree and Houston and I get that same feeling. Hell, even a low-def replay on Raptors TV of Vince's first game against the Grizzlies or that amazing nationally televised game against Phoenix makes me wish I could rewatch each game (well, of his first 5 years here).

A friend and I met Matt Bonner right after the New Jersey trade, at which point he said to us: "Aw, screw that guy. He quit on us, so I'm done with him." The Red Rocket was easy to love too.

On a vaguely related note, I thought Alex English was a hell of an assistant coach.

Comment

Partfoop wrote: View Post
        I look back at that Vince dunk contest and I get this feeling in my gut that brings it all back. I'll watch a replay of the playoff games against Iverson, or better, Spree and Houston and I get that same feeling. Hell, even a low-def replay on Raptors TV of Vince's first game against the Grizzlies or that amazing nationally televised game against Phoenix makes me wish I could rewatch each game (well, of his first 5 years here).

A friend and I met Matt Bonner right after the New Jersey trade, at which point he said to us: "Aw, screw that guy. He quit on us, so I'm done with him." The Red Rocket was easy to love too.

On a vaguely related note, I thought Alex English was a hell of an assistant coach.
        Crazy. Never would've expected Bonner to be so blunt.

Comment

Yeah, we were surprised. He'd been really friendly and charming and then turned cold at the mention of Vince. Then, right back to the friendly and charming guy again. It was very cool to hear a player express an honest opinion, fearless of the politics around it.

Comment

The joys of watching Vince in a Raptors uniform, when we legitimately thought he might be the next MJ and could argue about whether or not he was a better player than Kobe...man we've been nowhere near that height at any other point in the past 20 years. No other Raptor made me jump out of my seat as much as Vince. It isn't even close.
            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Oak. Because he was @#$%^&* hard as @#$%. (jk)

Vince Carter's career started in on the decline as soon as these two split. I don't care about stats or him playing with Jason Kidd later on, I'm talking about how Vince Carter played the game. Oak pushed him, publicly called him out many times. It was no coincidence that when Oak was playing with him in Toronto the majority considered Vince the best SG in the league, the next MJ, better than Kobe Bryant. It was no coincidence that when Vince stopped playing with Oakley and was surrounded by people who didn't challenge him to drive the bucket, to never relent on both sides of the court, he started settling for more and more jumpers, played mediocre D and became less and less of a game breaking factor.

I think Oakley saw the great potential of Carter and he knew what that talent required for the potential to be realized and he knew how to "guide" it.

Comment

VC. I still remember that Game #3 vs Philadelphia in 2001 in which he poured in 50 points. The ACC was electric.

Comment

Nice thread. good posts, good memories. I'll go with (it's tough!). Demar ... I think there's something quiet but special about this guy. A truly cool cat. It's just a "hunch" ... but I think hitting the franchise's "high-water mark" might depend more on him than some might think.
                  Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Tue Jul 28, 2015, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                    Reason I started to really follow basketball is because of Kyle Lowry.
                    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Favorite player to ever play on the Raptors is Hakeem Olajuwon, not sure if that counts but if it does it's him.

If not I'll go with Vince.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Oak. Because he was @#$%^&* hard as @#$%. (jk)

Vince Carter's career started in on the decline as soon as these two split. I don't care about stats or him playing with Jason Kidd later on, I'm talking about how Vince Carter played the game. Oak pushed him, publicly called him out many times. It was no coincidence that when Oak was playing with him in Toronto the majority considered Vince the best SG in the league, the next MJ, better than Kobe Bryant. It was no coincidence that when Vince stopped playing with Oakley and was surrounded by people who didn't challenge him to drive the bucket, to never relent on both sides of the court, he started settling for more and more jumpers, played mediocre D and became less and less of a game breaking factor.

I think Oakley saw the great potential of Carter and he knew what that talent required for the potential to be realized and he knew how to "guide" it.
                        Oakley was definitely the @#$%^&*

I remember after he got traded and played us at the ACC, he gave a hard foul to Vince and all the fans started booing him.

Comment

jerome wrote: View Post
                          Oakley was definitely the @#$%^&*

I remember after he got traded and played us at the ACC, he gave a hard foul to Vince and all the fans started booing him.
                          Oakley was a true warrior. He didn't pull punches for anyone.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Oakley was trash. I can't believe people would criticize Amir's jumper after the garbage shots Oak used to heave up. He was good for the mentality of the team, but just wasn't a good player, let alone the fact that we traded Camby for him.

I don't really have a fave Raptors player OAT. Vince made me the massive Raptor fan that I become, so I guess he still gets the vote in spite of his many flaws. DeMar is chipping away though with his workmanlike approach to development.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              I don't drink...

It's not that I didn't follow basketball before Lowry, it's just that I started to follow it more religiously when he got traded here.

Comment

Andrea Bargnani

Just kidding Jose Calderon and Amir Johnson are my favourites
                                OG is our king

Comment

Working...
                                X