Full Court Press lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Court Press lineup

Presses never seem to happen in the NBA but this line-up in spot minutes would wear out the opposing team and generate scoring opportunities from TOs (or just let Bruno shoot a 3)

Delon Wright
    Norm Powell
    Bruno Caboclo (guarding inbounder)
    James Johnson
    Bismack Biyombo

If I'm Casey I get these guys riled up and send them in for a few minutes at a time playing balls to the wall against teams on back to backs.. Of course I'm not Casey and I don't see him doing anything like this..

Carol is better than Bruno at defense and Shooting and Bruno wont make the team this year.

Comment

I actually remember the Raptors doing it once early last season. I remembered it because it stood out since it's rarely used AND the three players who stood out to me doing it (Lowry, James Johnson, Ross) before a time out was called by the other team were hounding them like crazy.
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

The_Warlord wrote: View Post
        Presses never seem to happen in the NBA but this line-up in spot minutes would wear out the opposing team and generate scoring opportunities from TOs (or just let Bruno shoot a 3)

Delon Wright
        Norm Powell
        Bruno Caboclo (guarding inbounder)
        James Johnson
        Bismack Biyombo

If I'm Casey I get these guys riled up and send them in for a few minutes at a time playing balls to the wall against teams on back to backs.. Of course I'm not Casey and I don't see him doing anything like this..
        DeMarre over Bruno
        Biyombo
        JJ
        Wright
        Powell

And yeah Casey is too intellectually challenged to come up with this idea.

Comment

Much like a zone defense, a full court press is fun every now and then if you can catch a team off guard and throw them out of sync for a couple of plays, but the usefulness is pretty limited in the NBA. Players/teams are just too good and breaking presses and zones is Basketball 101. Works much better in high school and college. You try that shit against a quality opponent and they will break you down and get a high percentage scoring opportunity.

But yeah, every now and then with a Raptors super-defense bench lineup against an opposing team's bench lineup, that would be fun. Where last year's bench scored at a good rate and could keep the offense coming in waves, this year's bench has the potential to bring shut-down D.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

teams don't do it because it doesn't work. NBA level players and coaches don't get rattled like college kids at the sight of a press. It's basic basketball to break it, incredibly easy for teams that have more than 1 good decision maker on the floor (for example, every nba team), and once you do, you have essentially a free layup.

Comment

NBA teams would destroy any press, they aren't High school/College kids who panic and turn the ball over.
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Good topic for the off-season. While a whole team full-court press might only work in very small doses, it is important to apply pressure on the opposition ball-handler for full-court, without gambling. Here's a nice article on that, benefits to the team
                and players who are good at it (e.g. Bradley, Beverley, Schroeder, Rondo, Rubio,....)

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...ull-court-pest

When a college coach makes a killing annihilating subpar dribblers and passers by throwing out a 2-2-1 press or a full court, trapping defense; when 19-year-olds wet themselves before they can get the ball past half court, we immediately question whether or not their defensive style of play is capable of working at the NBA level. It's safe to say that pretty much every college coach that has brought the press to the NBA level has quickly taken it back to the college ranks within a couple of years.

And the reason we question it is because it simply can't work at the NBA level. It can cause a truck load of chaos when that coach is making the transition to summer league in Las Vegas like we saw with Mike Dunlap and the Charlotte Bobcats in 2012, but once the regular season gets underway, the full court press has to be tucked away into a dark, safe place that nobody will ever find. The guards and even the small forwards at the NBA level are simply too talented and quick to react for such a device to be effective.

However, the difference between pressing an NBA team and providing full court pressure are two separate things that are similar in nature but quite different in application. There's an art to being a pest on defense and there are specific players of various calibers that are capable of pulling off this feat on a regular basis.

Comment

Great article.

I can see Delon & Norm earn themselves some PT by excelling at full court defensive pressure and this would be a terror for opposing PGs.

As the article mentions the delay in getting into your offense and subsequently rushing it will likely result in a bad shot, if not a TO, and gives these guys an opportunity to run..I'm not talking about game 7 playoff strategy, just something to push the young guys and reward them for hard work in practice to get the big dogs some rest

Comment

The_Warlord wrote: View Post
                    Great article.

I can see Delon & Norm earn themselves some PT by excelling at full court defensive pressure and this would be a terror for opposing PGs.

As the article mentions the delay in getting into your offense and subsequently rushing it will likely result in a bad shot, if not a TO, and gives these guys an opportunity to run..I'm not talking about game 7 playoff strategy, just something to push the young guys and reward them for hard work in practice to get the big dogs some rest
                    Don't see Delon having the elite athleticism to to be successful at full court pressure.

Norm does and has the wingspan as well.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                      Don't see Delon having the elite athleticism to to be successful at full court pressure.

Norm does and has the wingspan as well.
                      Cujo at pg
                      Powel at SG
                      Carroll at SF
                      JJ at PF
                      Biyombo or Bebe at C

Comment

Working...
                      X