Was last season a disaster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was last season a disaster?

Last season had a disastrous finish, but ultimately the playoff sweep was far more a short term rather than long term disaster.

Last offseason went well. Masai was able to resign his FA's with reasonable deals. The Bruno draft pick was a huge gamble, but few stars can be found at his range, so a pure upside pick was defensible. Masai managed to get Lou and Bebe for a contract and a 2nd round pick, and sign JJ to a cheap FA deal - exactly the type of player that we missed the year prior.

The season started, and soon the Raptors were the talk of the NBA as the wins piled up. Troubling signs though were emerging. The offence, though seemingly effective was very much lacking in ball movement. Supposed franchise cornerstone JV was seeing his playing time reduced. The defence was no longer top 10.

By the trade deadline things were bleak. The defence was getting torched with dribble penetration and the Raptors perimeter players were simply overmatched. And with JV hanging down low, the 10-3 ft area was a bonanza for opponents guards once they penetrated. The offence seemed to become even more ISO oriented. MU wisely didn't give up future assets for short term fixes, but also let things play out with the roster and didn't try to capitalize on any current assets for future assets.

Now comes my point - how many Raptor assets saw their value climb between Game 1 and Game 86? In my mind, only 1, Lou Williams and he was lost for nothing more than cap space in free agency.

KL's value definitely climbed early on, but pretty well lost that and more by seasons end - a shoot-first point guard whose shooting numbers dropped fairly significantly.

DD was injured, inefficient and still unable to stretch the floor.

JV made strides offensively, but not defensively. Prior to the season a max extension was pretty well a slam dunk - it may not be the case now.

TRoss took a huge step back, maybe injury played some part, but there seemed to be much more to it than that.

Amir was hobbled to the point I wonder if MU made more than a half-hearted attempt to bring him back.

PPat may have retained his value, but did it increase? I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Maybe JJ, but he wasn't overly valued by the league judging by his contract.

Bruno and Bebe barely played and Bruno even looked over-matched in DLeague.

I'm not saying what we have doesn't have some value (look no further than the return for Vasquez), or even a lot of value. What I am saying is the present value of the players we had last season is definitely less than it was a year ago.
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Wouldn't call it a disaster, but definitely a team-wide step backwards, especially from a player development POV, as you summarized nicely.

In hindsight, getting blown out in the first round was actually blessing-in-disguise, because it would have been far worse if that style of play (on both ends) had been successful. It was pointed out by many, even when we were winning big, that the style of play was un-sustainable and would fail miserably in the playoffs.

There also seemed to be a bit of a inmates-running-the-asylum, arrogant, entitlement type of culture creeping in... a far cry from the gritty, blue collar guys that gave us #WetheNorth optimism the season before.

Comment

I didnt read that big long post, but I am certain that it was a rehash of excuses for last seasons performance that has been stated many time by fans who are fans of the players as opposed to the team.

Blame Ross, Poor Defense, blah bblah.

Last season was exactly as it was predicted.

A team that may find a little regular season success only to be pounded in the playoffs.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
        Wouldn't call it a disaster, but definitely a team-wide step backwards, especially from a player development POV, as you summarized nicely.

In hindsight, getting blown out in the first round was actually blessing-in-disguise, because it would have been far worse if that style of play (on both ends) had been successful. It was pointed out by many, even when we were winning big, that the style of play was un-sustainable and would fail miserably in the playoffs.

There also seemed to be a bit of a inmates-running-the-asylum, arrogant, entitlement type of culture creeping in... a far cry from the gritty, blue collar guys that gave us #WetheNorth optimism the season before.
        Yeah I agree with this. Also there was hope that after the sweep that Dwane Casey would finally be removed from his head coaching position.

It wasn't a disaster, in the sense that it forced some much needed changes for the team.
        OG is our king

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
          I didnt read that big long post, but I am certain that it was a rehash of excuses for last seasons performance that has been stated many time by fans who are fans of the players as opposed to the team.

A team that may find a little regular season success only to be pounded in the playoffs.
          Brilliant analysis of a post you didn't bother to read.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Actually it was rather the opposite.

But hey, way to openly voice an ignorant opinion and put your rights to work!

Comment

Tbh we're very fortunate that Washington woke up in the playoffs.

Would've been pretty bad if we rolled out the same iso-squad with 4 guards on the court at once and several minus defenders.

I like the look of our squad much more now. And we might not have made as many changes if we advanced further in the playoffs.

Comment

I don't understand how you can comment on a thread without reading the OP and expect to sound remotely intelligent.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                  I don't understand how you can comment on a thread without reading the OP and expect to sound remotely intelligent.
                  its easy, there is a button that says quick reply, you click that and type.

And I scanned, and it didnt matter, as the post asks if last season was a disaster, I responded that it wasnt, it was exactly as predicted.

Moderate regular season success, utter playoff failure.

Comment

its easy, there is a button that says quick reply, you click that and type.

And I scanned, and it didnt matter, as the post asks if last season was a disaster, I responded that it wasnt, it was exactly as predicted.

Moderate regular season success, utter playoff failure.
                    Ladies and gentlemen, we have your first Idiot's Guide to Sounding like an Idiot!

Comment

I suggest you read the post in its entirety --it is a good post.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                        I suggest you read the post in its entirety --it is a good post.
                        Thank you.

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
                          Yeah I agree with this. Also there was hope that after the sweep that Dwane Casey would finally be removed from his head coaching position.

It wasn't a disaster, in the sense that it forced some much needed changes for the team.
                          It still stings that DC was not removed from his post. Most posters thought that it would be worth the embarrassment if he was replaced.

DC wearing his championship ring that he got as an assistant with Dallas at the post-season press conference was a punk move imo . He should have exhibited humility not brashness.

Comment

It still stings that DC was not removed from his post. Most posters thought that it would be worth the embarrassment if he was replaced.

DC wearing his championship ring that he got as an assistant with Dallas at the post-season press conference was a punk move imo . He should have exhibited humility not brashness.
                            Yeah, I left Casey out because he had no trade value anyway, but his stock dropped after last season as well.

Comment

Oh, man, don't remind me of that Casey ring BS. Disgraceful thing to do, really, for a leader. That reeked of insecurity and a cover your own butt mentality. Basically he was saying without saying... "it was their fault, not mine, and I've got a ring to prove it." Lovely way to set the tone for your team when things get tough. And like I said, arrogance and defiance started to creep into the Raps team culture, in contrast to the season before.

The only guy who publicly took any sort of responsibility for that playoff poop-show was Masai. None of the players even bothered to offer any sort of explanation, e.g. Lowry or DD.

Comment

Working...
                              X