Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Cory Joseph a starting caliber point guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Katman wrote: View Post
    That really wasn't the question, whether KL should be replaced. Could CJ be a starter, maybe. For me, I need to see him play here first to make an informed opinion to the question.
    Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    I agree 14 games in a total different system isn't enough. He has proved that his a solid back up though
    With this kind of attitude, maybe you guys should be posting someplace else. This hardly falls under the RR tradition of shooting first and asking questions later.

Comment

Cojo is a baller' fo' real.

Yes, I think he could start with the right players around him. I think he'd be a better fit with a 3+D 2 guard if he's playing the point rather than playing along side someone like DD who isn't a 3 point threat.

I think Cojo is easily as good as any of the starting caliber point guards in the east and can compete against most starters in the west, not all, but most. He has a long way to go but he's an extremely talented pg.
      Last edited by BS10; Sat Aug 1, 2015, 11:31 PM.
      #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

BS10 wrote: View Post
        I think Cojo is easily as good as any of the starting caliber point guards in the east and can compete against most starters in the west....

....He has a long way to go but he's an extremely talented pg.
        One of these things is not like the other.

Comment

I think COJO will have an opportunity to be the starting point guard in 2017.
          KLow will miss games in 2016 so he'll start occasionally.

Masai always seems to place players in a position to succeed. If COJO gets better, Klow can go. I'm excited for that concept because COJO knows what kind of player to become a la Tony Parker in order to win a championship.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
            One of these things is not like the other.
            I meant he's a long way to go in fully developing his potential. I think he can still expand on his offensive skillset and learn things to make him a more dangerous point guard. However, because of his defensive skills and his ball handling ability and playmaking capability I think he can be a starting caliber point guard.
            #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

One more year and we will know if he is. He will have a bigger role in toronto. Masai is set up nicely for a rebuild Cory..JV..Bruno... A slew of first round picks and whatever a derozan or Lowry trade nets us...interesting.. But I'm excited to see what Lowry. Derozan. Carroll. Patterson. JV can do ..

Comment

Joesph is not a starting calibre PG in Raptorville at this writing.
                For any of one of Philly / LAL / NYK / Nets or Charlotte he is.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

Cory Joseph has barely proven his a back up. I think this year was his first as a legit back up. Before this year he was the third string PG on the Spurs. Kid has potential but his not a starter yet.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                    Its a tough play to watch ...

I was watching this game, and shit man ... it still hurts.
                    I was at that game. Didn't look that bad live but when they brought the stretcher out I knew his back was fucked. Real shame too, that was a fun Raptor team and TJ was a huge part of it. BC's best deal ever was swapping Charlie V for TJ Ford.

Comment

This is kind of an insane conversation. I get everyone's excitement but as of right now Delon Wright has just as good of a chance to userp Lowry (hint:Not good) since they're similar age and both fairly unknown quantities.

Pros:
                      - He had a good-not great Vasquez/Lou quality (think borderline starter) stretch of 14 games.
                      - Like buying a late 1st round pick and picking a college senior (same age as Delon)
                      - Spurs developement is tops in the league

Cons:
                      - The Spurs gave him away as an RFA(!) and could have waited him out to get him for half this money or less. Also could have traded away salary to make room for him and Aldridge - essentially chose Patty Mills (meh) over him as a backup guard.
                      - Played VERY little in the last 4 years - even his D-league stats don't scream NBA talent. Was unable to hold a spot in the rotation.
                      - Knowing another team willingly walked away from 4 years of investment/development.
                      When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

I think your cons list makes a lot of unjustified assumptions.

Popovich loved Joseph, but given the Aldridge signing plus Danny green and kawhi and ginobli it made sense that Cojo was on the outside looking in.

And how do you know that no other teams wanted Joseph? Raptors made the best offer and got him. How does that equate to no other team wanting him?
                        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                        Because its 2015

Comment

only issue is NDC came over and besides being TO prone seemed reluctant to shoot. pop likes his PG to pass first. Casey likes to have guards score. eventually NDC started looking to score. if Joseph is counted on to score he is Demar

Comment

Speaking of PG.
                            Apparently, Wright has potential to be impactful right from the get go.
                            But I was too cheap to pay for the article :
                            ----
                            ESPN- Numbers say rooks Frank Kaminsky, Delon Wright poised to make impact
                            ------
                            http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...ective-rookies

BY KEVIN PELTON FOR ESPN INSIDER

In an era in which most top prospects enter the NBA after spending just one year in college, there’s only a limited relationship between playing well as a rookie and long-term success. After all, the 2010-11 All-Rookie First Team included Landry Fields and Gary Neal, but not Eric Bledsoe, Derrick Favors, Greg Monroe or Paul George.

As a result, most projections for draft picks wisely focus on production over several years rather than immediate results. But my WARP projections are built on translations that convert NCAA and international performance to its NBA equivalents, adjusted for a year of player development. Therefore, we can use them to project the players who will be most effective as rookies.

I’ve ranked players here based on the rookie version of the consensus projections that incorporate where a player was drafted along with their past performance, factoring in the opinions of NBA scouts. Players are ranked on their winning percentage, the per-minute version of my wins-above-replacement player stat akin to PER. Let’s take a look at the top 10.

1. Karl-Anthony Towns Team: Minnesota Timberwolves Pick: No. 1 overall Win percentage: .514

Towns ranks just sixth going purely on statistical translations, but his status as the No. 1 overall pick lifts him to the top of the list. That’s reasonable, because even if he takes his lumps offensively while learning to play in the post, per Flip Saunders’ plan for his development, Towns will be a useful rebounder and defender from day one.

2. Frank Kaminsky Team: Charlotte Hornets Pick: No. 9 overall Win percentage: .514

As a four-year college player who’s already 22, Kaminsky is unlikely to be the best pro from the 2015 draft. There’s a reasonable chance, maybe even a good one, that he’s the best player as a rookie. After all, Kaminsky won every major player-of-the-year trophy in college. Lest that be construed as a guarantee of immediate NBA success, however, keep in mind that Doug McDermott accomplished the same feat the year before.

3. Delon Wright Team: Toronto Raptors Pick: No. 20 overall Win percentage: .512

Wright’s well-rounded game placed him second in the NCAA in win shares last season behind Kaminsky, per Sports-Reference.com. Alas, it’s unclear how much opportunity Wright will have to contribute as a rookie now that the Raptors have also signed Cory Joseph to back up All-Star point guard Kyle Lowry.

4. D’Angelo Russell Team: Los Angeles Lakers Pick: No. 2 overall Win percentage: .503

In part because he played more minutes than Towns, Russell led all freshmen in win shares. His shaky performance in Las Vegas during summer league should temper expectations for his rookie season to some extent, since it is predictive of performance for rookies. However, it’s unlikely Russell will shoot so poorly from 3-point range (he shot 2-for-17, 11.8 percent in Vegas) over a larger sample after making 41 percent of his 3s at Ohio State.

5. Kristaps Porzingis Team: New York Knicks Pick: No. 4 overall Win percentage: .497

I think the widespread notion that Porzingis is a project is somewhat overstated. While the box score can’t necessarily capture his issues dealing with stronger opponents, Porzingis was a productive player in a competitive ACB league in Spain last season. And he held his own in Vegas, averaging 18.4 points and 3.1 blocks per 36 minutes — albeit with just 5.7 rebounds per 36.

Last edited by distorsun; Sun Aug 2, 2015, 10:37 PM.

Comment

All elite teams need 3 not 2 PG's because of injuries foul trouble, suspension, and maybe most important keeping everyone better rested and less likely to be injured !!! Steve Fisher GO RAPS GO !!!

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                                I think your cons list makes a lot of unjustified assumptions.

Popovich loved Joseph, but given the Aldridge signing plus Danny green and kawhi and ginobli it made sense that Cojo was on the outside looking in.

And how do you know that no other teams wanted Joseph? Raptors made the best offer and got him. How does that equate to no other team wanting him?
                                Umm... I didn't say or even hint at any of that - may want to re-read.

I think my "Pros" list makes a lot of unjustified assumptions too

But seriously I have no empiracle evidence. Doubt is what I'm selling here... don't set this kid up to fail with expectations of being a star or starting over Lowry because
                                A) he could be good
                                B) Don't want the reputation for booing our home town kid
                                C) reading all this local talk about his greatness might make him shit his pants and reconsider playing here (considering his NBA accomplishments sofar are very limited)
                                D) If you are convinced you just know he's going to be the next great player for this franchise - your wrong. None of us have much of anything beyond a lot of unjustified assumptions
                                When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

Working...
                                X