Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Cory Joseph a starting caliber point guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Cory Joseph a starting caliber point guard?

With the acquisition of Cory Joseph many Raptors fans think that Lowry will be traded this season allowing CoJo to assume the starting role and Delon Wright to move to the backup PG spot.

Is Cory good enough to start though? There's a small sample of games he started last year that we can use to maybe get a bit of an idea of how he could perform as a long-term starter.

Cory Joseph Stats (As A Starter) 2014-15:
    14 GP
    34.6 MPG
    13.2 PPG
    4.5 RPG
    3.6 APG
    1.6 TOPG

56.2 FG%
    44.4 3PT% (Attempted just 9 though)
    75.0 FT%

118 oRTG
    109 dRTG

The Spurs record in these games was 7-7 for the record which was subpar for them. However it was against an extremely difficult set of opponents and many of the losses were very close (including two 3OT losses).

These numbers look really good. Ridiculously efficient, great on the glass, and good assist to turnover ratio. Corey also put up these numbers on only 16.8% USG which is pretty low for a starting point guard, so it's possible that if given a Lowry type role (low-mid 20s USG) he could produce better boxscore stats and take a little hit to his efficiency (which would still likely leave him as a very efficient player anyway).

The question is though, how much did the Spurs system benefit him? I think it definitely helped but not as much as it helps guys like Patty Mills and Danny Green who are primarily stand-still shooters offensively. Cory is a slasher and creator. He was only assisted on 44% of his shots last year which is much less than Mills (68%) and Green (82%), and actually even lower than DeMar DeRozan (45%), so he definitely doesn't rely on others to create shots for him.

Then we all know how good he is on the defensive end. So to be honest I think he could be our starter long-term and dare-I-say it possibly even become an upgrade over Lowry considering that he has the size, strength and speed to be a stopper defensively as well.

I think he needs another year of being a backup with the ball in his hands more to work on his playmaking and become a bigger threat from 3. Trade Lowry in the offseason if cory and delon look ready for bigger roles

Comment

The raptors starting PG controversy trilogy is complete!

Part 1: TJ vs Jose
      Part 2: Jose vs Kyle
      Part 3: Kyle vs Cory

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Whatever happened to TJ Ford?

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
          Whatever happened to TJ Ford?
          Re-injured his back because of a dirty hit by Horford .. was never really the same afterwards ... such a shame ... LOVED TJ.

Comment

I think he has all the makings of a very solid starting pg in the mold of Jkidd.

Not the greatest scorer, but put him in some pick and rolls with a fundamentally sound big man(Hello JV!) and you have the maikings of an efficient pairing.

His defense is very good as well which is can be a bitch for opposing teams.

Only thing is we would need a wing players who can not only get out and run/defend but can hit the 3 at a very solid rate.

I think one of our best lineups this season will be

Cujo
            Ross
            Carroll
            Ppat
            JV

Provided the offense is not iso first and runs a more set style with Cujo and JV being the cogs to it all and Ross/Carrol benefiting from cuts and kickouts.

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
              Re-injured his back because of a dirty hit by Horford .. was never really the same afterwards ... such a shame ... LOVED TJ.
              I don't get how the majority of NBA fans forgot what Horford did to TJ. If that happened now Horford would be known as a bitch
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                I think he has all the makings of a very solid starting pg in the mold of Jkidd.

Not the greatest scorer, but put him in some pick and rolls with a fundamentally sound big man(Hello JV!) and you have the maikings of an efficient pairing.

His defense is very good as well which is can be a bitch for opposing teams.

Only thing is we would need a wing players who can not only get out and run/defend but can hit the 3 at a very solid rate.

I think one of our best lineups this season will be

Cujo
                Ross
                Carroll
                Ppat
                JV

Provided the offense is not iso first and runs a more set style with Cujo and JV being the cogs to it all and Ross/Carrol benefiting from cuts and kickouts.
                I think I'd rather see
                Joseph
                Ross
                Jj
                Patterson
                Biyombo

That unit would play very good scramble defence, has 2 really good shooters with Joseph being respectable from 3, and jj because they'll need a little more ball handling/ someone who can create for themselves.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                  I don't get how the majority of NBA fans forgot what Horford did to TJ. If that happened now Horford would be known as a bitch
                  Its a tough play to watch ...

I was watching this game, and shit man ... it still hurts.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

What about the Jarret Jack vs. Jose Calderon spin-off book?

Comment

I think you guys are forgetting how good Kyle Lowry is.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        I think you guys are forgetting how good Kyle Lowry is.
                        That really wasn't the question, whether KL should be replaced. Could CJ be a starter, maybe. For me, I need to see him play here first to make an informed opinion to the question.

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
                          That really wasn't the question, whether KL should be replaced. Could CJ be a starter, maybe. For me, I need to see him play here first to make an informed opinion to the question.
                          I agree 14 games in a total different system isn't enough. He has proved that his a solid back up though
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I think he's the backup until summer 2017. That year we could have max cap room to chase a superstar, potentially even with both DD and JV signed to significant (though not their max) contracts, if we let Lowry walk. So if that summer is the key time for Masai to add top talent to the core two of DD and JV (if either or both are viewed as such), CoJo being able to step into the starting PG role at that time is key.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

CoJo is a different type o guard than Lowry. He reminds me of one of my all time favorite Raptors, Alvin Williams! I don't think his number will ever blow you away, but with the right mix of players he could be our guy on a winning team that goes pas the first round. He could be like a Mike Conley type PG with a little better size.
                              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                              X