Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranking the Rookies - Who is going to contribute the most this year ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just don't see Powell squeezing in there. I think Casey'd rather go with Lowry/Joseph on the floor than open up that 2 spot if an injury occurs. I have to think those minutes go to Wright, based on Casey's past decisions.

Comment

Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
      I've read a bit about Bismack ("nice guy") and watched a bit of vid: http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...iyombo/(scroll for his top 10 plays)

As a lottery pick, his outstanding "frame" and athleticism were touted. 6'9" ... but a 7'7" wingspan. I think you can see how quick he is for his size in the vids. Four years on, maybe his is a "bust". But Charlotte's SB Nation said: http://www.atthehive.com/2015/6/29/8...fer-to-bismack

So. Here he can be either a "play-now" back-up or lose out to Bebe and be a 22-year-old project. Charlotte couldn't afford him (and doesn't have a D-league team). Right now he's in Africa with Ujiri, which is cool - I think Toronto does have an edge with International players in all pro sports, which some of us might overlook.
      They didn't need to tender Biyombo's QO (we wouldn't have done that either, it was too expensive), they could have just refused it and then resigned him for what we did. Bebe is a year older than Biyombo and has been playing some form of pro ball since 2009. It will be a true battle for those limited 10th man minutes.

Comment

Nice to be having a conversation about which rookie will contribute more, and then to be legitimately discussing 2-3 different names. And super nice to be able to follow some of the rooks on the Fivers, and watch their development.

Comment

OOps - fixed the link to Bismack's top ten plays above

Comment

I don't think it'll be Bebe. With the way Casey views his rookies, and with how raw these guys are, I think unfortunately Casey will never view them as "real" NBA players...

Although Masai could force Casey to play him, that just doesn't seem like his style
            A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
              I wouldnt assume that Powell is even an average nba defender right now. It takes time for most rooks to get used to the speed and whatnot. I dont think he will be much better or better at all than our other wings at defense right away.
              he is a seasoned rook, and he was also a man amongst boys in the summer league.

He would have been average on last seasons team. Now he is with the big club, and can learn some tricks from Demarre.

Comment

So this got bumped up because I have to rush out to buy a couple of bottles of French's Ketchup to go with the crow I have to eat on the preseason final standings predictions...

So heres what we all thought a scant 7 months ago.

Accepting Drinks
                ===> Demographic Shift (So looking for Powell to lead the charge as a contributor followed by Wright and Bebe)
                ===> McHappy (Norm. As soon as a guard or wing gets injured he is going to get his chance and make the absolute most of it.)
                ===> Snootch (So powell.)
                ==> distorsun (Why do you assume that Powell is not ready? Defense translates well in the NBA, I think if he gets in the line-up, it'll be hard to to get him out. He plays hard on D and doesn'T hold the offense hostage.Don't forget we still have a lot of horrible defenders and lost one of our best (Amir)...so contribution on the D end would be very welcomed.)

Buying Drinks
                ===> Dan H (Wright. If one of CoJo or Lowry gets hurt, he's getting significant minutes. Every other position has a bunch of vets that can fill in.)
                ===> BonusJonas (Bebe/Wright)
                ===> prs1 ( How about there will be no significant contributions by Raptors rookies? To contribute you need playing time and DC is not known for giving rookies minutes.
                ==> Primer (My guess was between Bebe and Wright but I went with Bebe)
                ===> JWash (Powell, Bruno and Bebe are not gonna get minutes. So Wright)
                ===> LetterN (I'm with Dan, the only player that might get significant time would be Wright)
                ===> Chr1s1anL (Wright)
                ==> Mack11 (#55)
                ==>DogeLover1234 (That leaves Wright and Bebe as the most likely candidates.)
                ==> Arsenalist (I'll go with Bebe.)
                ==> S.R. (Wright is the most likely to get the most minutes..)
                ==>CalgaryRapsFan (My vote would be for Wright)
                ==> LJ2 (My vote would be for Delon.)
                ==> ceez (Wright)
                ==>Skywalkerac (Smart money is on Wright with his feel for the game and Casey's penchant for playing guards.)
                ==>Planetmars (Gonna go with Wright. )
                ==>Day One (you kind of have to go with bebe here, based on teams needs and positional playing time available.)
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

I ask for an extension until the end of playoffs before we settle this matter. Wright will come on strong in the playoffs, i promise.

Comment

Maybe Colangelo deserved a D-League, but honestly, he'd sell the D-League and all our picks for Markieff Morris this year

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                      I ask for an extension until the end of playoffs before we settle this matter. Wright will come on strong in the playoffs, i promise.
                      Extension under those terms granted

Hoping Wright gets some more court time as we rest guys and try stuff out till the second season starts. He looks ready. Hope he gets a few reps at NBA speed during non garbage time as he has put in his time in the D League. He made the most of the 30 minutes he got when Kyle got a day off..He can build on that.

I am totatly biased but we are loaded with more than promising prospects right now in Wright and Powell and Bebe...
                      - TGO

Comment

Has there been enough from any of the rookies to really declare a "winner"?
                        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                          Well it would have to be by a somewhat serious injury for wright or bebe to get in at this point. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Well it would have to be by a somewhat serious injury for wright or bebe to get in at this point. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.
                            But my point is more than Powell hasn't really done much either.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

The winner will be whoever ends up with the most minutes.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                                didja catch norm powells game last night vs the deer ?
                                as kenny would say "its ovah ladies and gentlemen"

and i do remember bebe's games vs the warriors and the hawks...
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X