Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legacy league Game #5 - Doge. v. Mr.Z (Winner: Dogelover)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snooch wrote: View Post
    Russell would slow him.
    Bill surrenders 110 lbs and three inches. I realize he's one of the greatest players of all time but that is a huge disadvantage right out of the gate. To put it in perspective, DeMar DeRozan has 5lbs on Bill Russell's listed playing weight.

Shaq wasn't the most talented player on the block but he understood what he was and how to use his tremendous size and strength advantage; he was smart, crafty, tough and unrelenting. He had money in the bank post moves and strong counter moves if you tried to take his bread and butter from him. No one got to him for almost his whole career.

How does Bill Russell slow him down?

Let me put it this way, Bill would not post those crazy number's in Shaq's NBA but if Shaq could have went back in time to Bill's era Shaq would dominate on a whole another level compared to what he did in his own era.

Comment

I think it's debatable who caused Shaq the most problems, really big guys or smaller skinnier quicker tough aggressive defenders. Personally I think it's the latter, guys like Rodman, Big Ben. I see Russell as a taller, more athletic version of those guys when it comes to man defense.

I don't think he can significantly slow down Shaq individually, but I don't think he's a bad defensive option to put on him, I think he's about as good as you can find. Plus he's a great team defender and a leader, and ultimately if you want to slow down Shaq a bit, it starts with covering passing lanes, sending help at him, good team defense.

But yeah, Shaq was a beast. His team is loaded here too. If he somehow gets out of the 1st round, this team might just win this draft, it's one of the most loaded teams in the draft.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        Bill surrenders 110 lbs and three inches. I realize he's one of the greatest players of all time but that is a huge disadvantage right out of the gate. To put it in perspective, DeMar DeRozan has 5lbs on Bill Russell's listed playing weight.

Shaq wasn't the most talented player on the block but he understood what he was and how to use his tremendous size and strength advantage; he was smart, crafty, tough and unrelenting. He had money in the bank post moves and strong counter moves if you tried to take his bread and butter from him. No one got to him for almost his whole career.

How does Bill Russell slow him down?

Let me put it this way, Bill would not post those crazy number's in Shaq's NBA but if Shaq could have went back in time to Bill's era Shaq would dominate on a whole another level compared to what he did in his own era.

I disagree, Shaq, while a great bigman, Wasnt the smartest at his craft, and a whily defender would always give him fits.

And let me ask you, what nba player best defended Shaq....

Answer Ben Wallace

So even if you believe the sizings listed on Russell(which are all grossly under, he was 6-11, 7foot 4 wingspan and ) you have to expect that someone with a motor GREATER than Wallace, Athleticsm off the charts(see vfideo below) and an iq that was better than everyone would slow the beast down.

Another great way to defend shaq was to tire his 360lb ass out. Imagine the bigfella chasing this guy around?

Comment

Congrats DogeLover1234
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

congratulations Doge

Comment

plus bill russell played against wilt the stilt....

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

I'm declaring this a rivalry. I'll get you back doge!
                  You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                    I'll get you back doge!
                    Made me think of this for some reason LOL:

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                      I'm declaring this a rivalry. I'll get you back doge!
                      Cant believe i missed this! I checked all the other game threads, then got my wisdom teeth out, so I was out of commission for a few days. This was one of the match ups I was most scared of because of that big front court. Still people were sleeping on the hustle of all my guys. I now question taking Unseld and Havlicek because I feel like posters don't recognize their greatness simply because of when they played. Looking back and saying that because Wes was 6'7 he couldn't be a good defender doesn't really give him the justice he deserves. In a time of great NBA centers like Wilt, Reed, Russell, players dreaded playing against Unseld because "he abused your body" Its not really fair to say that he wasn't a good rim protector because blocks were not recorded for the first half of his career, but he racked up rebounds like none other, showing that he pushed around those big centers. He also got a lot of steals.

Anyways, this would have been a great match Z, but i agree with the voters, in the end Doge must win. Not sure how you plan on getting me back but you have successfully frightened me.

Comment

Working...
                      X