Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tristan Thompson Good Enough to be the "4" we've been waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    Scola (6th among PF's in TRB%) is a better rebounder than TT (9th among PF's in TRB%), so we already addressed rebounding at PF. Also of note, Carroll is a much better rebounder than Ross, CoJo is a better rebounder than GV, Lou Williams was an attrocious rebounder, and Bismack Biyombo is a better rebounder than TT (18 TRB%). We have already addressed the rebounding problem on many fronts. TT gives us nothing we need and sucks ballsack on offense.
    Yeah, but you're talking about multiple players being brought in to do what one player is able to do. So I don't really see it as MU has addressed a need...completely. I like TT and would welcome his addition to the team, but not at the amount he is asking for. At some point we need to acquire a guy that is actually worth a max contract to make us a contender. TT does not make us a legit contender.

Comment

big boi wrote: View Post
      That's ridiculous
      Just look at their stats and style of play. It's not ridiculous at all. Evans is probably the best comp to TT, except Evans was a better rebounder.

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post
        Yeah, but you're talking about multiple players being brought in to do what one player is able to do. So I don't really see it as MU has addressed a need...completely. I like TT and would welcome his addition to the team, but not at the amount he is asking for. At some point we need to acquire a guy that is actually worth a max contract to make us a contender. TT does not make us a legit contender.
        Scola is a better rebounder than TT, plays the same position, and only cost $3M. So just Scola addressed what TT could have brought us.

Comment

Are we all forgetting that TT sucks? A definite poor man's Reggie Evans.

Comment

Anybody watch the playoffs this past June?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Are we all forgetting that TT sucks? A definite poor man's Reggie Evans.
              Lets not go crazy here. Evans was a good rebounder, and absolutely terrible at everything else (except maybe for his dirty post D). Thompson's definitely the better player...just not by that much.

I didn't mind TT as an option before the playoffs inflated his value. Not the best option next to JV, but at least you'd have good size and rebounding up front, and both guys fit well next to 2Pat (since TT can play some small ball C). Of course, at that time I thought you could get him for less than Faried type money. With his playoff performance, and contracts already starting to inflate with the impending cap jump, it's just not worth it. He could've been a decent stopgap on a movable deal, but that ship has sailed it seems.

Comment

Scola is a better rebounder than TT, plays the same position, and only cost $3M. So just Scola addressed what TT could have brought us.
                Not to mention he can shoot a 16 footer and has post moves/IQ
                A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  Lets not go crazy here. Evans was a good rebounder, and absolutely terrible at everything else (except maybe for his dirty post D). Thompson's definitely the better player...just not by that much.

I didn't mind TT as an option before the playoffs inflated his value. Not the best option next to JV, but at least you'd have good size and rebounding up front, and both guys fit well next to 2Pat (since TT can play some small ball C). Of course, at that time I thought you could get him for less than Faried type money. With his playoff performance, and contracts already starting to inflate with the impending cap jump, it's just not worth it. He could've been a decent stopgap on a movable deal, but that ship has sailed it seems.
                  Evans was a great rebounder, still is, good doesn't do him justice. In the 2012-13 playoffs with Brooklyn he had an insane 24.6 TRB%, with an even more insane 40.8 DRB%. He's not quite as good at offensive rebounding as TT so he doesn't get as many easy putbacks, that's the only area where TT outdoes Evans. Evans is the better defender, due to the dirty post D you mentioned combined with grabbing every single defensive rebound. I really don't think you can say TT is the better player, let alone "definitely" the better player.

Comment

Evans is terrible. No team is reaching out to sign him.

Comment

Evans was a great rebounder, still is, good doesn't do him justice. In the 2012-13 playoffs with Brooklyn he had an insane 24.6 TRB%, with an even more insane 40.8 DRB%. He's not quite as good at offensive rebounding as TT so he doesn't get as many easy putbacks, that's the only area where TT outdoes Evans. Evans is the better defender, due to the dirty post D you mentioned combined with grabbing every single defensive rebound. I really don't think you can say TT is the better player, let alone "definitely" the better player.
                      Evans' D is overrated, because he lacked the speed or size to actually stop good players in the post. He was a bench level player in every sense, despite his great rebounding. He fouled a lot, and it's not like he could ever shut anyone down. And he couldn't switch really at all.

He also had a horrible feel for the game where he'd pick up tons of random turnovers on bad passes and accidental traveling violations. And he was completely useless offensively. Didn't have athleticism to finish at the rim, and didn't have the skill to do anything else. And as you point out, he doesn't get as many boards on the offensive end, and even when he does, again, he pretty much can't finish and can badly struggle to make an actual play off the board because of an awful skill level.

Basically your argument boils down to Evans is a better defensive rebounder and dirtier inside player, and thus arguably better? Thompson is better offensively, who even as limited as he is is far more skilled and useful than Evans there. He can finish at the rim, has some ability to make a move to score though he's not a good finisher if he's not right at the rim. Thompson is a better rim protector defensively, and a more versatile, switchable defender. He has the athleticism to impact the game in more ways, and does, including being a much better transition player both offensively and defensively. And even with Evans' dirty/sneaky play inside, I wonder if he's actually that much better a post defender than TT at all. TT isn't great there, but neither really is Evans, who fouls a lot and is fairly easy to finish over. TT is even a better free throw shooter than Evans. So yeah, I still see TT as a clearly better player.

Comment

Like I think bring him here if he isn't going to ask for 90 million. He is a crappier Amir Johnson in my honest opinion so he shouldn't get more than amirs money. Cap raise or not waste of time throwing money away at him. The cost of trading for him is stupid too... you lose a stretch 4 in 2pat which you need. Everyone else has pointed out that we have solved the rebounding issues.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                          Like I think bring him here if he isn't going to ask for 90 million. He is a crappier Amir Johnson in my honest opinion so he shouldn't get more than amirs money. Cap raise or not waste of time throwing money away at him. The cost of trading for him is stupid too... you lose a stretch 4 in 2pat which you need. Everyone else has pointed out that we have solved the rebounding issues.
                          When did we solve our rebounding issues? I mean, Carroll hopefully gives us a boost at the SF spot, but there were issues beyond that.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            When did we solve our rebounding issues? I mean, Carroll hopefully gives us a boost at the SF spot, but there were issues beyond that.
                            PF: Scola. Had a better TRB% than TT last year, 6th best among PF's.

SF: Carroll, like you mentioned, is a big upgrade over Ross.

PG: Cojo is an upgrade over GV.

SG: Lou Williams was the worst rebounder on the team by far, and now he's gone, so we won't have 26 minutes of zero rebounding per game.

C: Biyombo/Bebe are both excellent rebounders and upgrades over Hanbsbrough and Hayes.

Rebounding was improved at every position.

Comment

PF: Scola. Had a better TRB% than TT last year, 6th best among PF's.

SF: Carroll, like you mentioned, is a big upgrade over Ross.

PG: Cojo is an upgrade over GV.

SG: Lou Williams was the worst rebounder on the team by far, and now he's gone, so we won't have 26 minutes of zero rebounding per game.

C: Biyombo/Bebe are both excellent rebounders and upgrades over Hanbsbrough and Hayes.

Rebounding was improved at every position.
                              Personnel can help, but I don't want to be optimistic til I see how guys are used. Will Scola be the new guy to take 4th Q centre minutes when Casey benches JV for no reason? Because he's not as good a rebounder as Jonas, and then we'll have a worse rebounder at PF. Pat is not a strong rebounder. Will JJ stay in the doghouse? If Carroll is playing a lot of small ball PF instead of the obvious choice in JJ, then Carroll being on the court doesn't necessarily give us a boost as he might be overmatched a lot at PF. And it might mean Ross is on the floor at SF as well, doing his poor rebounding job as usual.

My biggest optimism actually does come from the backcourt, especially if our bigs are still asked to always chase down shooters and play overaggressively. Lou and Greivis were awful. Guys like Cojo and Wright might show a lot more promise there. And gotta think to start the season Ross is the backup SG, and more minutes at that position is hopefully better for him and the team.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                                Anybody watch the playoffs this past June?
                                Thank you
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X