Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tristan Thompson Good Enough to be the "4" we've been waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No fucking way I'd want TT on this team for 90mill or whatever. And there's a reason he still a free agent and is about to take the QO. Nobody in their right mind is giving him that and if someone does its an albatross as soon as he signs it.
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

phdmac wrote: View Post
      Pretty sure that players on a Qualifying offer cannot be traded. Same situation as Monroe last season
      Never heard that before. I think they just tend to have limited trade value, could be because of Bird Rights or lack thereof.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        this is a guy who is going to average close to 14pts 13 rebounds in his prime. Not only that he is the perfect garbage man to play next to JV
        The Cavs offered 5/$80 ... and they're well into luxury-tax land ... and they're the CAVS!! (i.e. set to win a Championship).

Doesn't that mean they not only think he's valuable ... but he'll be worth at least that on the trade market?

Comment

Pretty sure that players on a Qualifying offer cannot be traded. Same situation as Monroe last season
          No I think they can be traded they just have a No Trade Clause. Pretty sure TT would've waive that if he was traded to Toronto.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
            No I think they can be traded they just have a No Trade Clause. Pretty sure TT would've waive that if he was traded to Toronto.
            Hmmm let's see what Dan H says. I was chatting with Eric Smith today and he agreed with me, but maybe it is the NTC that I was thinking of
            Ball Don't Lie

Comment

Hmmm let's see what Dan H says. I was chatting with Eric Smith today and he agreed with me, but maybe it is the NTC that I was thinking of
              There are two additional circumstances in which a trade requires the player's consent:

When the player is playing under a one-year contract (excluding any option year) and will have Larry Bird or Early Bird rights at the end of the season. This includes first round draft picks following their fourth (option) season, who accept their team's qualifying offer for their fifth season. When the player consents to such a trade, his Larry Bird/Early Bird rights are not traded with him, and instead becomes a Non-Bird free agent

For one year after exercising the right of first refusal to keep a restricted free agent. The player must consent to a trade to any team, although he cannot be traded to the team that signed him to the offer sheet.
              http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q100

I found that second sentence to be interesting, so there'd really be no advantage to us making this trade financially, other than being able to "test-drive" TT before getting him.

Comment

Nice work, J.

Comment

So. In 2016, The economy is flush with cash. There are four dudes without cars. They walk out onto a dealership lot and see:

A Mazeratti. (LeBron)
                  A Lambourghini. (Kevin Durant)
                  A 2014 BMW. (Demar Derozan) and ...
                  A shiny new Honda Civic (Tristan Thompson)

... Is that about it, Dan?

Comment

Trade JV, sign Tristan for the 5 spot. Much of that $90 million will come back to us poor Canadian folks through taxation.

Comment

Seems a decent summary of TT's up- and down-sides: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...james-leverage

Comment

Absolutely not worth what he is asking. I was surprised the Cav's put 80 on the table and to think he wants more.

No other side has come forward with that money which means that he is not worth that on the open market, if they had then TT would of jumped on it and tried to leverage the Cav's to sign. The whole thing is Rich Paul trying to drum up publicity that they could lose him whilst leveraging the LeBron connections to get the most money.

If he isn't worth that money on the open market then he is worth well less for the Raptors. He doesn't fit next to JV at all and we know who is the better player/piece to have going forward. The only fit he has is the hometown connection and emotions can't dictate max signings. I am all for the connection when it comes to 2nd and third string but when you sign a guy to a max who clearly isn't worthy then you are introducing bad practice and promoting idiocy. Players need to take cuts to come/stay home, San Antonio is the ideal example of players remaining for unders to stay in a good system.
                        everybody wang chun tonight

Comment

TT is a fine player on an Amir like contract ($7.5M + inflation) but all this talk of max for TT is crazy.

Either the Cavs or the market will be crazy to sign TT for that. If it is the market, the number of "less than great" players getting max deals will shatter the free market concept of value.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

TT to raps makes little sense.

No spacing.

Can't compare to Zbo and Gasol because those guys are highly skilled and can space the floor to about 18 feet no problem.

If you put in a guy like TT you need shooters at PG and wing that can all hit 3 at above average rate.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              Home town discount - 4 years, 66 mill.
                              But the all the teams who will be willing to break the bank on him finish their seasons in April. He can live in Toronto five months of the year and make an extra $25M. Who's giving up $25M so they can live in Toronto during the winter? That's coooold.

Comment

I think this team needs a four who can pass the ball very well personally.

And I dont recall TT being a great passer.

Comment

Working...
                                X