Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tristan Thompson Good Enough to be the "4" we've been waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ceez wrote: View Post
    not for $90 million, no. i do like TT though and thinks he adds two things we lacked last year in rebounding and rim protection. the spacing thing is definitely a legit gripe though.

the "he's useless without lebron" crowd should peep his actual numbers.
    TT isn't a good rim protector, he's below average (both regular season and playoffs). Don't know where you got the idea he's a good rim protector.

http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/

Comment

Could we use TT in the tdot ? He is durable. He provides way above average rebounding on both ends of the floor, average to slightly above average defense and arguably below average offense (putbacks aside). Yeah I think we could use that. I think every team in the league could use that. The hangup starts with how much to pay him for that.

I know I am and I bet others are still trying to process how the incredible rise in the cap affects players salaries and our impressions of them as players related to those brand new huge deals they are getting or are about to get. TT as a player with less 7 years experience in the league will be eligible for a contract that STARTS at 22.5M in 2016-17 if the cap is at 90M. Kevin Durant will get either 27M with a 90M cap or 32M if the cap goes to 109M in 2017. For perspective thats almost half the salary pool in the 2014-15 year. Will that 32M make him a better player or simply raise expectations ?

Regardless of what you think of Thompson as a player he and his agent are trying to get the most they can from a team that has him by the short n curly's for one more year. TT is willing to trade future earnings potential as the cap rises by almost 30% next year and 55% the following year for a guaranteed 5 year max deal.

In todays terms if you think you'd be OK with giving TT 12M to play here and that would be fair.. then extrapolated against next years cap thats about 16.6M... and guess what.. thats what he wants...
      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Aug 11, 2015, 10:57 PM. Reason: changing thenextrapolated to then extrapolated
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Raptors sucked at rebounding. TT is arguably the best rebounding 4 in the league. He would also fit great in Casey's defensive system with his ability to hedge and switch on the perimeter. TT has very quick feet for someone his size. His a better rebounding Amir to me.

I think you trade for him now. Let him play at home now. Let him prove what his worth. I think his more likely to take a pay cut if his a starter a for his hometown team. Instead of taking one to back Love for the next 4 years.

I think if he takes the QO you offer 2pat for TT straight up and maybe throw a second rounder in there too. Maybe our first in the upcoming draft(not the NYC/DEN). Weak draft no need for two picks.
        You don't seem to understand that the Raptors don't have Bird Rights after a trade when he signed QO and would need to use cap space to sign TT after such a trade (plus they gave up possibly 2 draft picks and PP????). Cap space that they, as of now, don't have.

You could create around $11M in cap space by renouncing JJ, Scola, Ross, and De Colo.

He would also be unrestricted. In the new CBA universe I have a feeling TT is going to get much more than $11M and the lure of playing at home is likely not going to be enough to compensate for $5+M annually.

Comment

TT is arguably the best rebounding 4 in the league.
          Did you mean Cleveland?

Would you feel this way had he been born in Memphis, Tennessee or Dallas, Texas or Phoenix, Arizona?

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Did you mean Cleveland?

Would you feel this way had he been born in Memphis, Tennessee or Dallas, Texas or Phoenix, Arizona?

No and yes
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Ok, why?

Comment

No and yes
                He's a good rebounder, but nowhere near best in the league at his position. Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph, Ed Davis, Greg Monroe, Tim Duncan, Luis Scola, Kris Humphries, and Kenneth Faried all put up better TRB% than him last year. There are also a ton of centers who play some PF that are better than him at rebounding.

Like I said before, he's a poor mans prime Reggie Evans (prime Reggie Evans was a phenomenal rebounder, one of the best ever).

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  He's a good rebounder, but nowhere near best in the league at his position. Pau Gasol, Zach Randolph, Ed Davis, Greg Monroe, Tim Duncan, Luis Scola, Kris Humphries, and Kenneth Faried all put up better TRB% than him last year. There are also a ton of centers who play some PF that are better than him at rebounding.

Like I said before, he's a poor mans prime Reggie Evans (prime Reggie Evans was a phenomenal rebounder, one of the best ever).
                  The guy is 24. His best basketball is a head of him.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I don't know why you guys want TT. He clearly wants the max... But he only has 1-2 skills that are useful and would make him thrive in the NBA.

That's be like giving Demar the max...
                    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Chr1s1anL, TT's stats:

2014-2015

Total Rebound Percentage - 47th
                      Rebounds per game per 36 minutes - 54th
                      Rebounds per game - 28th

140th in PER league-wide.

Comment

Reggie Evans rebounded at a Dennis Rodman rate. Let that sink in for a second. A hall of fame rate.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                          Reggie Evans rebounded at a Dennis Rodman rate. Let that sink in for a second. A hall of fame rate.
                          2nd highest recorded TRB% ever.

Comment

As someone else already put it: hell to the nah
                            #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

He's a poor mans Reggie Evans.
                              That's ridiculous

Comment

He's not even a starter.
                                That Asik contract is working miracle for talent deprived big man.

JWash wrote: View Post
                                Tristan for 90M.... shoot me now

Comment

Working...
                                X