Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tristan Thompson Good Enough to be the "4" we've been waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can never have enough rebounding. I just think TT is a better player than 2pat. Would be a better starter as well. Yes you lose 3pt shooting but id always take rebounding over 3pt shooting.

You know how the saying goes "No rebounds, No rings"
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      Scola is a better rebounder than TT, plays the same position, and only cost $3M. So just Scola addressed what TT could have brought us.
      Yes. $3M vs. $18M. And a calm, veteran presence.

I think we want to see what we've got for a season. Just as with DeMar in a contract year. I think Masai has collected enough depth assets (CoJo, Wright, Bruno, Bebe, T-Ross Draft picks) so that we don't have to lose our heads in the current FA frenzy.

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        You can never have enough rebounding. I just think TT is a better player than 2pat. Would be a better starter as well. Yes you lose 3pt shooting but id always take rebounding over 3pt shooting.

You know how the saying goes "No rebounds, No rings"
        2015 Warriors and 2014 Spurs were average-to-above-average rebounding teams.

Miami in 2013 was dead last, and 21st in 2012.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post

6 hall famers on those team and potentially 8. Raptors don't have that luxury.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

6 hall famers on those team and potentially 8. Raptors don't have that luxury.
            We also don't have a title contender either way, so paying 18M a year for TT makes no sense. And your point was "no rebounds, no rings" which I just proved wrong by pointing out that the last 3 champs were not elite rebounding teams. Neither was Dallas in 2011. Rebounding is important yes, but you don't need to be the best rebounding team to win. Also TT is overrated on the glass anyway, there are many players who rebound just as well as him if not better.

He's an average player and not really particularly great at anything except offensive rebounding. Ed Davis provides basically the same as him and is essentially making the MLE. The only reason TT is valued higher than Ed is because he plays for Cleveland. Nobody would be talking about him getting the max if LBJ didn't join the Cavs and make them an elite team.

Dude is NOT GOOD. He's not even a starting caliber power forward.

Comment

Nice, JW. The mantra in the league now seems to be about perimeter shooting. Which is why Casey is always talking "small ball", right? So Scola can rebound and Ppat can shoot. And Carroll can shoot ... and help with a " 4". I'm excited.

Though it would be nice if, somehow, we could participate in the new wave of Canadian talent.

Comment

We also don't have a title contender either way, so paying 18M a year for TT makes no sense. And your point was "no rebounds, no rings" which I just proved wrong by pointing out that the last 3 champs were not elite rebounding teams. Neither was Dallas in 2011. Rebounding is important yes, but you don't need to be the best rebounding team to win. Also TT is overrated on the glass anyway, there are many players who rebound just as well as him if not better.

He's an average player and not really particularly great at anything except offensive rebounding. Ed Davis provides basically the same as him and is essentially making the MLE. The only reason TT is valued higher than Ed is because he plays for Cleveland. Nobody would be talking about him getting the max if LBJ didn't join the Cavs and make them an elite team.

Dude is NOT GOOD. He's not even a starting caliber power forward.
                The guy averaged 12 and 12 in finals. His stats are very similar to JV's when he started for the Cavs. I think his on par with JV. A solid starter. I think if he comes to TO his price will come down.

At 6.8m I think you trade for him and if his still asking for 94m at the end of the year. Let him walk away from his home town. I think Masai would have more leverage than the Cavs do. I think in the new cap around 17m would be fair. For a kid that has his best basket ball a head of him.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

The guy averaged 12 and 12 in finals. His stats are very similar to JV's when he started for the Cavs. I think his on par with JV. A solid starter. I think if he comes to TO his price will come down.

At 6.8m I think you trade for him and if his still asking for 94m at the end of the year. Let him walk away from his home town. I think Masai would have more leverage than the Cavs do. I think in the new cap around 17m would be fair. For a kid that has his best basket ball a head of him.
                  Tristan is nowhere near on par with JV. He has no post game to speak of while JV excels there. JV is also better than him at rebounding and playing defense, especially rim protection.

Tristan Thompson atm is one of the single most overrated players in the league, particularly on Raptors forums where he gets an added bonus for being Canadian. I'd take him for CoJo money, but not for the money he wants. He's a role player not a star or even a high-level starter. Fringe starter at best.

Comment

just because the league is shifting a certain way doesn't mean you need to go with it. In fact you can have a lot of success going against the grain

A lot of people say no long 2s. But if teams gear their defense to taking away the 3....well guess what shots start to open up

I'm sure you could win a lot of games especially in the post season by focusing on being an elite gang rebounding team on both sides but especially on offense
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      just because the league is shifting a certain way doesn't mean you need to go with it. In fact you can have a lot of success going against the grain

A lot of people say no long 2s. But if teams gear their defense to taking away the 3....well guess what shots start to open up

I'm sure you could win a lot of games especially in the post season by focusing on being an elite gang rebounding team on both sides but especially on offense
                      I totally agree with you on following trends not necessarily being the best strategy, especially if you don't have the personnel for it.

However my evaluation of Tristan has nothing to do with that. I've pointed out that a guy like Ed Davis can do everything Tristan does (and actually has a touch of post game) but is valued much lower simply because he played on a bad team. Paying Tristan 5yr/90M is good way to completely fuck over our franchise.

Comment

Tristan is nowhere near on par with JV. He has no post game to speak of while JV excels there. JV is also better than him at rebounding and playing defense, especially rim protection.

Tristan Thompson atm is one of the single most overrated players in the league, particularly on Raptors forums where he gets an added bonus for being Canadian. I'd take him for CoJo money, but not for the money he wants. He's a role player not a star or even a high-level starter. Fringe starter at best.
                        JV has one particular post move. That running hook going into the paint. Other that him and TT score off put back and dish off passes. JV might be a better rim protector but in today's game where bigs have to be able to guard the perimeter some. TT blows JV out the water.

He averaged 12 and 9 before Love got there. His a walking double every night. We'd dominate the boards with these two.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Christian at this point I think I'm going to exit this debate. Comparing TT's value to JV's is blasphemous imo and I'm not really interested in continuing to argue that.

Comment

Interesting. The guys offering different stats seem to make a good case that it's so much money that he can't come down enough to fit with our team, even for Masai and his home town. But still - interesting.

Comment

Christian at this point I think I'm going to exit this debate. Comparing TT's value to JV's is blasphemous imo and I'm not really interested in continuing to argue that.
                              Bill Simmons had difficulty fathoming the fanatical adoration of JV on this site so he coined the phrase "Jonas Christ Superstar."

Comment

JV has one particular post move. That running hook going into the paint. Other that him and TT score off put back and dish off passes. JV might be a better rim protector but in today's game where bigs have to be able to guard the perimeter some. TT blows JV out the water.

He averaged 12 and 9 before Love got there. His a walking double every night. We'd dominate the boards with these two.
                                Scola is still a better rebounder than TT, and still only costs $3M, and is already on the team. JV and Scola can dominate the boards. Don't need TT.

Comment

Working...
                                X