Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tristan Thompson Good Enough to be the "4" we've been waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    PF: Scola. Had a better TRB% than TT last year, 6th best among PF's.

SF: Carroll, like you mentioned, is a big upgrade over Ross.

PG: Cojo is an upgrade over GV.

SG: Lou Williams was the worst rebounder on the team by far, and now he's gone, so we won't have 26 minutes of zero rebounding per game.

C: Biyombo/Bebe are both excellent rebounders and upgrades over Hanbsbrough and Hayes.

Rebounding was improved at every position.
    Thats a different way to frame how we addressed the rebounding problem we had last year.
    Felt that there were 3 areas that needed improvement from last years team. Perimeter defense , more team speed and a lot better interior rebounding both defensively and offensively. With Carroll at SF we helped on the perimeter and with the subtraction of GV and addition of Joseph and Wright our team speed improved a lot.
    Felt we didn't do as much with rebounding as we should have but considering how you frame it.. maybe that aspect is covered better than I thought with an overall improvement at each position to help rebound the ball.

Not a stats junkie... How did Scola compare to Amir on TRB% ?
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      T
      Not a stats junkie... How did Scola compare to Amir on TRB% ?
      Scola was at 17.5% last year, Amir was at 13.3%.

I think an underrated pro of the moves Masai made this offseason was the fact that there was an improvement - as you said - at each position rebounding-wise according to TRB%.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        JV has one particular post move. That running hook going into the paint. Other that him and TT score off put back and dish off passes. JV might be a better rim protector but in today's game where bigs have to be able to guard the perimeter some. TT blows JV out the water.

He averaged 12 and 9 before Love got there. His a walking double every night. We'd dominate the boards with these two.
        JV also has a nice little turn around jumper. I expect him to add a couple more post moves this off season working with Sikma. Even with just those 2 moves he should be able to jab step and either fake drop step toward base line with the turnaround jumper and then go middle, or vice versa. Having a feel for that takes time / experience / touches and generally being able to work against your defender and force him to respect both moves, thus increasing the chance that your fakes are respected.

Comment

• I'm a little thrown off by the comparison of Scola to Thompson (and no, I don't think TT is the right fit here). I neither comprehend nor really care about true rebounding percentage or other stats when the reality is that if Thompson played here, he'd get 30-34 minutes per night while Scola will only crack the 25 minute mark if half our front court options are injured. Scola wouldn't fill the space that Thompson would because he plays a third fewer minutes. The rest is filled with Patterson primarily, who, as much as I like him, is not a strong rebounder. Is a 20 minute Scola/25 minute Patterson/ 3 minute JJ or Carroll lineup comparable to one that boasts Thompson for 35 minutes? Maybe. I'm not sure.

My point is, though, that comparing TT's TRB% to Scola's seems like poor math. You could have prime Dennis Rodman on your team, but if he's only playing 5 minutes, you can't very well compare him to someone playing 25.

Ultimately, Thompson would be a poor fit and a huge financial hit, so for those reasons, vs. TRb%, I'd pass on him. I wish he'd play for the national team, though. Seems like a nice kid.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post

I think an underrated pro of the moves Masai made this offseason was the fact that there was an improvement - as you said - at each position rebounding-wise according to TRB%.
            Scola played next to the giant non-rebounder Hibbert. If the Raptors are expecting the same rebounding with Scola as a small ball C they are going to be disappointed. If anything he'll steal boards from JV if he is paired up.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
              Scola played next to the giant non-rebounder Hibbert. If the Raptors are expecting the same rebounding with Scola as a small ball C they are going to be disappointed. If anything he'll steal boards from JV if he is paired up.
              cept hibbert sucked last year particularly in the rebounding department.

Comment

• I do not understand how Tristan did not accept clevland offer. It was great money to play on a very good team

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                  cept hibbert sucked last year particularly in the rebounding department.
                  That what I mean. Hibbert takes up a ton of space but doesn't go after rebounds. Compare that to Scola sharing boards with JV or alone.

Comment

That what I mean. Hibbert takes up a ton of space but doesn't go after rebounds. Compare that to Scola sharing boards with JV or alone.
                    oh i see what you mean... I still think we will be fine though. he still showed himself to be a strong rebounder.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                      oh i see what you mean... I still think we will be fine though. he still showed himself to be a strong rebounder.
                      Better than 2Pats at C

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                        PF: Scola. Had a better TRB% than TT last year, 6th best among PF's.

SF: Carroll, like you mentioned, is a big upgrade over Ross.

PG: Cojo is an upgrade over GV.

SG: Lou Williams was the worst rebounder on the team by far, and now he's gone, so we won't have 26 minutes of zero rebounding per game.

C: Biyombo/Bebe are both excellent rebounders and upgrades over Hanbsbrough and Hayes.

Rebounding was improved at every position.
                        I don't think our rebounding problems are a personnel issue. I think the rebounding is poor due to our scramble style defense which leaves our bigs way out of position to grab the boards.
                        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post

Credit for that point of view "an improvement - as you said - at each position rebounding-wise" goes to the guy who posts as Primer.
                          - TGO

Comment

He'd steal boards from JV ? What.... is JV entitled to them ?

If Scola beats JV to the ball on the defensive glass so much the better. At least it won't be someone on the other team beating JV or any other raptor to the ball to close out the defensive sequence.
                            - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                              He'd steal boards from JV ? What.... is JV entitled to them ?

If Scola beats JV to the ball on the defensive glass so much the better. At least it won't be someone on the other team beating JV or any other raptor to the ball to close out the defensive sequence.
                              It's not about numbers it about effectiveness. Love steals boards, making his number look better but doesn't actually help a lot. Grabbing a board that JV also could get isn't helpful. Also non-jumping non-rim protecting bigs grab boards by grabbing missed shot after giving up shots

Comment

Scola is a career 15 TRB%, so he'll help at rebounding even if he regresses from his stellar numbers with Hibbert last year. I think you're right that his rebounding will go down when paired with JV because JV is one of the best rebounders in the NBA (and a better rebounder than TT).

Comment

Working...
                                X