Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Tristan Thompson Good Enough to be the "4" we've been waiting for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cody73
    replied
    stretch wrote: View Post
    The injury reference doesn't apply to Thompson because I believe he hasn't missed a single NBA regular season game in the last three seasons.
    You right....

But Williams best seasons were at the end of his career.... where he played 70, 75 and then only 30 games sadly. But what I'm getting at is that throwing money at a 13 and 13 guy feels like a bad move to me.

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    Cody73 wrote: View Post
    Moving atm.

I'm not finished just yet either, so my net time's been limited as of late. Not fun.
    Dang that sucks

Leave a comment:

• Cody73
    replied
    e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    Cody man, where have you been?
    Moving atm.

I'm not finished just yet either, so my net time's been limited as of late. Not fun.

Leave a comment:

• stretch
    replied
    You wanna know who TT reminds me of almost down to the exact point, and if I hadn't poofed, would've made my LL team as my last pick?

Jayson Williams of the 90's.

Williams was a 13 and 13 guy in his prime. He made one ASG, was often injured and never played a full year in his career.

Is that something you'd like to have here in TO?
    The injury reference doesn't apply to Thompson because I believe he hasn't missed a single NBA regular season game in the last three seasons.

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    You wanna know who TT reminds me of almost down to the exact point, and if I hadn't poofed, would've made my LL team as my last pick?

Williams was a 13 and 13 guy in his prime. He made one ASG, was often injured and never played a full year in his career.

Cody man, where have you been?

Leave a comment:

• Cody73
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Wild-ling#1
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post
    I wish there was a thread dedicated to just the topic of small ball and why the league is shifting that way. And while I think that the standard half court, defense first team like the Ben Wallace Pistons would be good in most any era and would be the style JV would thrive in, I don't see the same post season success a team like that would have in the regular season.

For as much talk about how GSW is a rare team boasting the two best shooters in the league and surrounded by above average shooters...you have to consider they also did beat the best half court team in the league as well (Memphis). And while we don't have the personnel of GSW, we also do not have the personnel of Memphis. So despite not having the personnel of a GSW, I see the validity in shaping the team to play what is becoming a donimant, post season, winning brand of basketball. And creating a system based on that.

It's definitely a really interesting topic/debate.
    Your wishes can come true! Go ahead - start a thread. I just started my first thread. Actually ... this one!

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    thead wrote: View Post
    just because the league is shifting a certain way doesn't mean you need to go with it. In fact you can have a lot of success going against the grain

A lot of people say no long 2s. But if teams gear their defense to taking away the 3....well guess what shots start to open up

I'm sure you could win a lot of games especially in the post season by focusing on being an elite gang rebounding team on both sides but especially on offense
    I wish there was a thread dedicated to just the topic of small ball and why the league is shifting that way. And while I think that the standard half court, defense first team like the Ben Wallace Pistons would be good in most any era and would be the style JV would thrive in, I don't see the same post season success a team like that would have in the regular season.

For as much talk about how GSW is a rare team boasting the two best shooters in the league and surrounded by above average shooters...you have to consider they also did beat the best half court team in the league as well (Memphis). And while we don't have the personnel of GSW, we also do not have the personnel of Memphis. So despite not having the personnel of a GSW, I see the validity in shaping the team to play what is becoming a donimant, post season, winning brand of basketball. And creating a system based on that.

It's definitely a really interesting topic/debate.

Leave a comment:

• Wild-ling#1
    replied
    Bill Simmons had difficulty fathoming the fanatical adoration of JV on this site so he coined the phrase "Jonas Christ Superstar."
    I hear writers around the league talking about Jonas' potential. I've heard (as I guess most of us die-hards have) that quite a few expect him to be an all-star next year.

(And "no" that's not an invitation to slag JV ... or Casey. Please - put the wet-towels down. They're smelly. My ass is sore enough )

But regardless ... I like Jonas. I really do. And that matters to me. I enjoyed the hell out of the Darryl Sittler and Mats Sundin and Doug Gilmour led teams (I'm in my 50's) . They didn't win cups. But they were great fun to watch ... as a boy and as a man. It's more fun to watch them have playoff success, no doubt. But I wouldn't trade those memories, now, for anything.

And I feel a bit sorry for those who really wish they could.

(But "Jonas Christ Superstar" - THAT'S funny
    Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Wed Aug 12, 2015, 03:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    JWash wrote: View Post
    Christian at this point I think I'm going to exit this debate. Comparing TT's value to JV's is blasphemous imo and I'm not really interested in continuing to argue that.
    Agree to disagree than. When they both start their numbers are similar. I don't how that blasphemous.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    Bill Simmons had difficulty fathoming the fanatical adoration of JV on this site so he coined the phrase "Jonas Christ Superstar."
    Bill Simmons reads RR? Awesome.

Every time I've heard him use that it is in praise of JV. He's a comedian, he likes to make funny nicknames for guys. I've never heard him call Jonas that in a disparaging manner, as you're trying to imply.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    JV has one particular post move. That running hook going into the paint. Other that him and TT score off put back and dish off passes. JV might be a better rim protector but in today's game where bigs have to be able to guard the perimeter some. TT blows JV out the water.

He averaged 12 and 9 before Love got there. His a walking double every night. We'd dominate the boards with these two.
    Scola is still a better rebounder than TT, and still only costs $3M, and is already on the team. JV and Scola can dominate the boards. Don't need TT.

Leave a comment:

• stretch
    replied
    JWash wrote: View Post
    Christian at this point I think I'm going to exit this debate. Comparing TT's value to JV's is blasphemous imo and I'm not really interested in continuing to argue that.

Leave a comment:

• Wild-ling#1
    replied
    Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    The guy averaged 12 and 12 in finals. His stats are very similar to JV's when he started for the Cavs. I think his on par with JV. A solid starter. I think if he comes to TO his price will come down.

At 6.8m I think you trade for him and if his still asking for 94m at the end of the year. Let him walk away from his home town. I think Masai would have more leverage than the Cavs do. I think in the new cap around 17m would be fair. For a kid that has his best basket ball a head of him.
    Interesting. The guys offering different stats seem to make a good case that it's so much money that he can't come down enough to fit with our team, even for Masai and his home town. But still - interesting.

Leave a comment:

• JWash
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X