20 Years Later, the Raptors could Mirror the Lakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 Years Later, the Raptors could Mirror the Lakers

In 1996, after 53-29 season, the Lakers who already had a pretty nice, but not good enough core of Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones and Cedric Ceballos, proceeded to dominate the offseason. First they drafted future superstar, Kobe Bryant with the Hornets pick, and followed that up by signing the biggest (literally and figuratively) free agent on the market in Shaquille O'Neal.

Does a similar fate await the Raptors? With the NYK/DEN pick projected in the mid-high lottery, and armed with the tools and cap space to sign Kevin Durant, it could be possible.

Interesting also is that prior to joining the Lakers, Shaq was a part of a strong Orlando team that had been to the ECF and Finals the two previous years. While Durant is longer moved from WCF and NBA finals appearances, there are definitely some similarities there as well. Both guys played with scoring PGs who were "stealing the spotlight" (albeit in very different ways).

Just thought this would be a fun thing to talk about, something positive for once on here lol... even if it doesn't have a super-high chance of happening.

Will Jamal Murray force a trade to Toronto from whatever team that drafted him? Stay tuned...

Comment

Shaq went to a glamour destination. Toronto is not a glamour destination. More likely that the lakers will mirror the lakers.
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
        Shaq went to a glamour destination. Toronto is not a glamour destination. More likely that the lakers will mirror the lakers.
        But is it becoming one?

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
          But is it becoming one?
          toronto is the 4th largest market in america.... and celebrities love it here and we have drake!. willis what chu talkin bout.... Seriously though. I think we have a DECENT shot at getting Durant considering he hangs out here over the summer. He loves drake... and last but not least the man really wanted to be a raptor back in the day.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
            Well today Toronto is a more attractive destination due to L.A being terrible and no stars wanna play with Kobe. Once Kobe will retire things may quickly shift there and L.A will again be a top spot for free agents.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
              toronto is the 4th largest market in america.... and celebrities love it here and we have drake!. willis what chu talkin bout.... Seriously though. I think we have a DECENT shot at getting Durant considering he hangs out here over the summer. He loves drake... and last but not least the man really wanted to be a raptor back in the day.
              Reputation precedes market value and a short winning history while living in a bad weather for 6 months in another country + culture is a drawback which isnt enough to sway Durant at this time from OKC or Washington in terms of a better destination for him.

Comment

what chu talkin bout willis

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  Reputation precedes market value and a short winning history while living in a bad weather for 6 months in another country + culture is a drawback which isnt enough to sway Durant at this time from OKC or Washington in terms of a better destination for him.
                  For top FAs, the trend seems to be something like this.....

1) Re-sign with your existing team
                  2) Go home, or close to it
                  3) Join a recent champ

Assuming Durant didn't resign with OKC or join the Wiz, then you could actually see a potential fit with the Miami Heat, with Riley working his recruiting magic on KD.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

3) Join a recent champ

Assuming Durant didn't resign with OKC or join the Wiz, then you could actually see a potential fit with the Miami Heat, with Riley working his recruiting magic on KD.
                    Agreed, Miami doesn't come close to Toronto in market size yet they have a had a proven winner in the past and recently, great weather +beach and located in the U.S. Plus they have one passionate owner and a cutthroat president in a big respected name like Pat Riley.

Those are things Toronto don't have, they do have a well respected president but he is on the way out for ambiguous reasons with no successful replacement on the horizon and a Sport/real state company composed of 4 different ownership groups each looking out for their own. I am sure when Durant comes to the interview in Toronto he will ask: "I will personally like to speak to the team's owner" and Masai will be like: "Actually we don't have one owner we have 4 owners and they are all companies, I will let you speak with Roger or Bell communication representatives I hope they won't put you on hold... get it... cause they are phone companies huhuhuhuh (awkward laugh by Masai with Durant grim wtf face).
                    Last edited by Hotshot; Wed Aug 26, 2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      Agreed, Miami doesn't come close to Toronto in market size yet they have a had a proven winner in the past and recently, great weather +beach and located in the U.S. Plus they have one passionate owner and a cutthroat president in a big respected name like Pat Riley.

Those are things Toronto don't have, they do have a well respected president but he is on on the way out for ambiguous reasons with no successful replacement on the horizon and a Sport/real state company composed of 4 different ownership groups each looking out for their own. I am sure when Durant comes to the interview in Toronto he will ask: I will personally like to speak to the team's owner and Masai will be like: "Actually we don't have one owner we have 4 owners and they are all companies, I will let you speak with Roger or Bell communication representatives I hope they won't put you on hold... get it... cause they are phone companies huhuhuhuh (awkward laugh by Masai with Durant grim wtf face).

But they are still owners of a business looking to make profits.

And the powers that be in each ownership would all be there showing Durant with good wishes when the pitch comes.

And another selling point of multiple owners is that it is alot harder for some shit like LAC to happen, or seatle moving.....

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

3) Join a recent champ

You forgot one more FA trend:
                        4) Go join a team with friends/people you know
                        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

I honestly don't think KD would join Washington. The fact that he grew up in the city and wasn't a fan of the team says a lot to me. Being at home is one thing, but he grew up a Raptors fan.

Only thing Washington really has in their favor is John Wall - but would KD leave Westbrook for Wall?

When the time comes, I suspect we will be one of at least 3 teams to get the sit down (OKC and Was the others guaranteed), but the list will likely be longer. Probably the only time in his career to be "the free agent" and he will want to experience the process.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            I honestly don't think KD would join Washington. The fact that he grew up in the city and wasn't a fan of the team says a lot to me. Being at home is one thing, but he grew up a Raptors fan.

Only thing Washington really has in their favor is John Wall - but would KD leave Westbrook for Wall?

When the time comes, I suspect we will be one of at least 3 teams to get the sit down (OKC and Was the others guaranteed), but the list will likely be longer. Probably the only time in his career to be "the free agent" and he will want to experience the process.
                            Agree with this, I think kd sits down with them out of courtesy and doesn't even consider it seriously. Playing with wall and a sg who's supposed to be a shooter but isn't really efficient probably isn't that appealing to kd.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

However Axel I think a lot more than 3 teams are going to sit down with KD

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X