Article: Ujiri Resting Heavily On Maintaining The Status Quo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GLF wrote: View Post
    And any of you who watched Fiba should be able to see that Cory Joseph is NOT a starting calibre point guard in this league yet. So all that noise about getting rid of Kyle to start Cory is just foolish.
    ZarZar did a great analysis on Joseph and his assists in SA. SA's system makes average players look so much better than they really are. Joseph is not a starting caliber PG in this league yet.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
      ZarZar did a great analysis on Joseph and his assists in SA. SA's system makes average players look so much better than they really are. Joseph is not a starting caliber PG in this league yet.
      Exactly.
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

NDC always looked like he was expecting open guys that weren't there alot

Comment

While I agree with some of you that the timing of the article is little pre-mature, I still can see the point that the author was trying to make. Tim C looked at 5 years in MU's resume and pointed to the obvious facts: He has not been able to build a team that went past first round or sign a FA star. These are facts and no one can deny it.

I pointed out to this a few month ago that MU is an excellent GM is building a mediocre team. He did that really well in Denver and he has done this very well here. He is also excellent in moving stars ( Carmelo) or guys like Gay and AB for smaller caliber players.

East has been very weak in the recent years but we still did not get passed the first round. He made some great moves this summer but still I don't think we are able to get passed the first round.

So while I think this would have been an excellent article in case of us failing this year as well for next summer, I think it is still a bold prediction of what we might expect to see this year.
          Masai has had short tenures with both teams so I don't see how its logical to group them in together as a whole. The Denver team and Toronto Raptors are both different and both unfinished products. It's like a teacher grading a student's essay but only allowing them to write half of the paper.

I still think the article is way too bias and doesn't give a fair rep. of Masai's effect on the Raptors organization.
          #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Sounds like the author is still bitter about not tanking. Newflash, we weren't guaranteed to get Wiggins. If we got Embiid people like him would be singing a very different tune about tanking right now.

People forget just how good of a position Masai had Denver at in his last year. They won 57 games in the western conference, yes they lost in the 1st round but arguably their best offensive weapon (Gallo) didn't play. They had the right to swap with the Knicks in 2013, plenty of good prospects as well as strong, talented and young players on fair deals.

They were just as primed to make a leap forward as many here believe the Raptors are in 2016 or 2017 FA (maybe a bit less so because of the market, but still). Masai is a great GM who knows how to manage assets and players and make smart decisions.

Masai hasn't had the opportunity to make a home run move yet. The Raptors didn't have cap space in the 2014 offseason, so all we could do was re-sign one of the top 5 free agents that year (Lowry). Last year we did, we tried for Aldridge but he was pretty much a Spurs lock from the get go.

Next year, we're armed with cap space and same deal the year after where there are more targets and a higher likelihood of striking it big. Or maybe we make that big move via trade or drafting through the Knicks pick. The reality is Masai has set us up with a ton of options. Some posters have been trying to say there's only one clear route we're going, but the truth is Masai has paved the way for us to take the next step through a number of different avenues.

I'd rather compete consistently, make shrewd moves, maintain flexibility and always have a chance to take that next step as a team than take shot in the dark year after year like Philly. Or sit around praying like the Knicks that a superstar is going to sign with a shitty team.
            Last edited by JWash; Sun Aug 30, 2015, 02:20 PM.

Comment

"Ujiri Resting Heavily On Maintaining The Status Quo"

The status quo for the franchise was, before Ujiri, losing. Since he's been here, it's been winning. He hasn't maintained the status quo.
              "Stop eating your sushi."
              "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
              "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                "Ujiri Resting Heavily On Maintaining The Status Quo"

The status quo for the franchise was, before Ujiri, losing. Since he's been here, it's been winning. He hasn't maintained the status quo.
                Losing, overpaying bench quality players, and always trying to sell some kind of BS to the fanbase.

Comment

As a bit of an aside, I don't even know what the sentence "Ujiri Resting Heavily On Maintaining The Status Quo" really means. It doesn't make grammatical sense.
                  "Stop eating your sushi."
                  "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                  "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                  - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                    Losing, overpaying bench quality players, and always trying to sell some kind of BS to the fanbase.
                    Aka "The Bryan Colangelo"
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

BS10 wrote: View Post
                      Masai has had short tenures with both teams so I don't see how its logical to group them in together as a whole. The Denver team and Toronto Raptors are both different and both unfinished products. It's like a teacher grading a student's essay but only allowing them to write half of the paper.

I still think the article is way too bias and doesn't give a fair rep. of Masai's effect on the Raptors organization.
                      That is a very valid point but still does not change the FACT that MU never has the finished product or has a play off success in his resume. I think the author was just pointing to this in his article which again could be pre-maturejudgment of the season which we may have in front of us.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        Masai's Wait & See strategy has been magnificent in its execution and

That is nearly the funniest thing I've ever seen.

And, yes, I agree with the sentiment. Oh!, but the delivery!!

Comment

Hm.

I think Tim Chisholm tried to do us all a service with this "devil's advocate" piece. I, too, think he over-shot the runway by quite a bit, though. Crash. Burn.

I'd guess he knew he would provoke this outrage. This is "The Masai-ah" country, after all. Nice to hear the optimism fans feel for our team, though. So ... thanks, Tim!

We needed something new to chew on ... I'm wracking my brains for another thread idea ...

Comment

Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                            Hm.

I think Tim Chisholm tried to do us all a service with this "devil's advocate" piece. I, too, think he over-shot the runway by quite a bit, though. Crash. Burn.

I'd guess he knew he would provoke this outrage. This is "The Masai-ah" country, after all. Nice to hear the optimism fans feel for our team, though. So ... thanks, Tim!

We needed something new to chew on ... I'm wracking my brains for another thread idea ...
                            How about emoticons - should they be used as end of sentence function 👟

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                              How about emoticons - should they be used as end of sentence function 👟
                              Meant punctuation not function 🐓

Comment

While I agree with some of you that the timing of the article is little pre-mature, I still can see the point that the author was trying to make. Tim C looked at 5 years in MU's resume and pointed to the obvious facts: He has not been able to build a team that went past first round or sign a FA star. These are facts and no one can deny it.

I pointed out to this a few month ago that MU is an excellent GM is building a mediocre team. He did that really well in Denver and he has done this very well here. He is also excellent in moving stars ( Carmelo) or guys like Gay and AB for smaller caliber players.

East has been very weak in the recent years but we still did not get passed the first round. He made some great moves this summer but still I don't think we are able to get passed the first round.

So while I think this would have been an excellent article in case of us failing this year as well for next summer, I think it is still a bold prediction of what we might expect to see this year.
                                The problem with that statement is that if not for injuries the 3rd year Denver team under him would have MOST DEFINITELY made it past the first round. That team was considered a championship contender at the time and was a 3rd seed in THE WEST.

Comment

Working...
                                X