Article: Ujiri Resting Heavily On Maintaining The Status Quo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scraptor wrote: View Post
    It's the rosy days of summer, when the playoffs are far enough in the rearview mirror that any concerns kind of ebb away and hope takes over.

And there's a third consideration: that Ujiri isn't a great strategist. I've put this forth before, but there doesn't feel like an overarching plan to his moves. He is an excellent tactician, adept at snagging value through trades and seemingly shrewd with his drafting... but there doesn't seem to be a long-term vision for the team.

Last offseason I asked, what happens if we flop in the first round again? To which people said it either wouldn't happen, or we'd fire Casey. Well we flopped, and we didn't fire Casey.

So this season I ask again, what happens if we flop in the first round again? And what happens if we don't land Kevin Durant? What happens if we continue to be forced to overpay players like DeMarre Carroll? What happens if we lock in DeMar DeRozan at a max contract? What does this team look like another three years out?

I think these are valid questions to ask. We'll never be able to fully prove a treadmill until after the fact, so it's okay to speculate about it in the midst of building the team.
    There is a long term plan and it has been publicly stated by Ujiri.... it's #WiggytheNorth. Is that too long term for some? It shouldn't be for those who advocated tanking, since you would be getting Wiggins fully baked, with the T-Wolves footing the bill for player development.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...w-wiggins.html

In the meantime, the Raps side of that long-term plan would be establishing Toronto as a franchise that is always in playoff contention and thought about as a legit destination for high end free agents, by the time Wiggins gets to un-restricted and having some pieces (JV, Jamal Murray, CoJo, Bruuunoo, veteran DD,....) to put around him.

Comment

Another issue is that this is the fifth year under the same coach and the Raptors are starting from day one if a system is even in place. There is no offense or defense. Nobody can describe what the Rap will do next year on either side of the ball. If Casey gets fired it'll be six years with no gameplan enter a season. No returning playoff team is like this

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Another issue is that this is the fifth year under the same coach and the Raptors are starting from day one if a system is even in place. There is no offense or defense. Nobody can describe what the Rap will do next year on either side of the ball. If Casey gets fired it'll be six years with no gameplan enter a season. No returning playoff team is like this
        The same head coach.

There have been 63 assistants.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          The same head coach.

After over 5 dozen assistants, the GM might want to consider the guy plain sucks

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            After over 5 dozen assistants, the GM might want to consider the guy plain sucks

I can only assume the lesser of all evils is to play out his contract.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              The same head coach.

Is this for real? Not sure how to take this. Turnover is expected, especially the incoming year and also if you're like the Spurs with assistants moving on to better jobs. Would be interested to know what the normal turnover is on an NBA coaching staff.

Comment

BS10 wrote: View Post
                I guess you've never heard of strategy? Acquiring a superstar talent is great and all but if you're not the 2-3 teams that have that talent, you've got to have rely on other methods in winning with lesser talented players by maximizing their strengths. I guess you missed the 2013-14 finals where the Spurs beat down Lebron and the Heat. Duncan was well past his prime and I wouldn't consider him a superstar talent anymore but he can and was still very effective.
                Tim Duncan was all-NBA last season. He got a significant number of votes for all-NBA in 2014 as well and his stats that year were right in line with his career stats. He is by anybody's definition a star player. The Spurs that year also had Tony Parker in what may have been his last quality year and Kawhi Leonard in what was likely his first star player year.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                  Tim Duncan was all-NBA last season. He got a significant number of votes for all-NBA in 2014 as well and his stats that year were right in line with his career stats. He is by anybody's definition a star player. The Spurs that year also had Tony Parker in what may have been his last quality year and Kawhi Leonard in what was likely his first star player year.
                  everybody focusing on getting a superstar to win a title is missing the step of actually advancing in the playoffs. there is no evidence to support that the Raptors are not still dysfuntional as an organization. look at the Leafs getting star players means nothing if the GM down to assistants cant win. win a playoff series then talk about ECF then Title. thus far all that the Raptors have accomplished is finishing over .500 in the regular season. divisional titles are meaningless

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Is this for real? Not sure how to take this. Turnover is expected, especially the incoming year and also if you're like the Spurs with assistants moving on to better jobs. Would be interested to know what the normal turnover is on an NBA coaching staff.
                    The assistants have essentially been turned over 3 times in 5 seasons. That is not normal, I don't believe.

Comment

• Was exaggeration on my part. Sorry if joke was missed....or just bad.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                        I don't really want to argue this point because the Spurs are my 2nd favourite team in the league but when people talk about superstars in the league they usually mention like 3-4 players: KD, Lebron, Anthony Davis, Cp3. I think Duncan was a superstar in his prime, no question about it, but he hardly puts ups the numbers consistently any more for him to be considered so. He does put up some good numbers occasionally when he's asked to do so but to me his role on the Spurs has changed to a lesser one. He still is a high IQ, effective, and efficient player though.

As for TP and Leonard, they're great players and are effective but I don't qualify them as superstars. Maybe the tier below all-star. Leonard can become an all-star or better though with time and consistency. They're both highly effective players though when they want to be.

My whole point was that the Spurs used strategy to beat Lebron and the Cavs rather than rely on a superstar caliber player.
                        Last edited by BS10; Mon Aug 31, 2015, 03:00 PM.
                        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
                          I don't really want to argue this point because the Spurs are my 2nd favourite team in the league but when people talk about superstars in the league they usually mention like 3-4 players: KD, Lebron, Anthony Davis, Cp3. I think Duncan was a superstar in his prime, no question about it, but he hardly puts ups the numbers consistently any more for him to be considered so. He does put up some good numbers occasionally when he's asked to do so but to me his role on the Spurs has changed to a lesser one. He still is a high IQ, effective, and efficient player though.

As for TP and Leonard, they're great players and are effective but I don't qualify them as superstars. Maybe the tier below all-star. Leonard can become an all-star or better though with time and consistency. They're both highly effective players though when they want to be.
                          guys become superstars in great systems. how many times did people say KG couldnt win until he went to Boston. Davis same deal in NOP. until they find a fit they are talented but deep playoff runs and titles create superstars. McGrady and Vince same deal

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            guys become superstars in great systems. how many times did people say KG couldnt win until he went to Boston. Davis same deal in NOP. until they find a fit they are talented but deep playoff runs and titles create superstars. McGrady and Vince same deal
                            I like this idea and don't want to poke holes in it but I enjoy the optimism, if applied, to our own team. I think with a proper system, perhaps, one of our players or multiple could make a great leap in their games or become more productive. But our system last season was poor and did nothing to enhance our players.
                            #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
                              I like this idea and don't want to poke holes in it but I enjoy the optimism, if applied, to our own team. I think with a proper system, perhaps, one of our players or multiple could make a great leap in their games or become more productive. But our system last season was poor and did nothing to enhance our players.
                              I agree with this sentiment. You really need to create structure and show you can execute on that before bringing in the best personnel or else you just end up wasting that talent. It's just like a business. If you don't have a proper business plan and you try to execute on an idea you will most likely fail and waste a lot of resources. Masai is slowly trying to get the house in order before making the the correct move.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                That is the spirit!
                                We got this.

KD Raptor in 2016, starting in the frontcourt for the allstar team representing the hometown, Perhaps we can offer him number 15....

Comment

Working...
                                X