Article: Ujiri Resting Heavily On Maintaining The Status Quo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
    Good point re DD extension with possible trade though wouldn't the fact you need similar contracts coming back significantly restrict possible trading partners? Though the point is still worthy of consideration. Perhaps mods will see this as a new take on the DD sufficiently so to allow further discussion on the Everything Derozan thread.
    True, but with the salary cap rise, I think teams have more room for error and now have the capability of taking on larger contracts without feeling constricted that their salary cap is locked up by one bad contract. There's now going to be more teams with lots of salary cap that will probably be inclined to attempt more riskier moves, if the reward is real high and worth it from their team's perspective. That's just my opinion though.
    Last edited by BS10; Tue Sep 1, 2015, 11:15 PM.
    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mindlessness;514667]
      SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      He's got to be getting close to 10,000 hours/QUOTE]

I mean, I enjoyed reading Outliers, but to assume that it's the definitive guide to improving any skill is kind of, y'know, out there.

DeMar has had hot streaks from 3, but he's never had sustained success of shooting more than even 35%. It's just not likely he improves as much as we might hope. I mean, if he does shoot 35% from 3 while taking like three 3 pointers a game, I don't think anyone here would be mad, is just not many here expect it.
      I don't buy into the 10,000 number as having actual validity, but the fact of the matter is that most players that continue working on their shots will at least approach 35% at some point in their 20s. I'm saying you probably should expect it.

DeMar's never going to shoot like Ray Allen but the foundation is there as he's already extended his range to the corners (left at least). An off season spent with a shooting coach (again pretty much expected in a contract year), an improved team around him, and shift in mindset (again all but guaranteed with the influx of new assistants to nudge both DD and Casey) all point in the sane direction for DeMar's shooting.

Sure no one wants to get in on this 31.5% bet?

Comment

• Regarding keeping Demar and adding KD, my stance is that you need as many stars-calibres as you can to really have a chance. You need about 3.5 stars even if one of them is super.

Demar could be one of those 3.5, thanks to a cap hold of only 15. Or maybe he's used to land another in trade. It's just letting him walk (along with Ross and others) that doesn't look appetizing to me.

A lot of this does depend on continued improvement from DeMar, which I admittedly expect. I definitely feel its the safer bet than complete stagnation or further regression.

Edit - sorry if double

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          Not sure why they wouldn't pair well together, KD pairs well with just about anyone.
          Last season, DDs usage rate was about 28% and KDs was 33% (this was his last full season, so two years age. Yes, Westbrook was injured for a while, but for his whole career he has consistently had a usage rate around 30). So basically, both like having the ball, especially considering that JV and Lowry both command many touches as well. Neither of them are lock down defenders as well, all though they could definitely get by. You could say that DD will play in a lesser role, but at that point we don't know how his shooting efficiency is affected, presumably it gets better, but at that point how is he any more useful than Carroll or hell even Ross? If you know you are getting KD, I think it just makes a lot more sense to have him replace DD. If you are worried about star power, i think that we should try to give JV more touches to see if he could handle a greater workload and let Carroll be a two way monster. That would be more a more effective use of resources in my opinion. That way you still have money if you want to go after Ibaka or some other big free agent in the next offseason (Or hopefully save to give a big contract to one of our young players who has developed into a superstar like Bruno )

What collection of players would you want to get rid of to keep DD and KD? How would the usage issue be settled?

Comment

• [QUOTE=Mindlessness;514667]
            SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
            He's got to be getting close to 10,000 hours/QUOTE]

I mean, I enjoyed reading Outliers, but to assume that it's the definitive guide to improving any skill is kind of, y'know, out there.

DeMar has had hot streaks from 3, but he's never had sustained success of shooting more than even 35%. It's just not likely he improves as much as we might hope. I mean, if he does shoot 35% from 3 while taking like three 3 pointers a game, I don't think anyone here would be mad, is just not many here expect it.
            Expect it. Or equivalent (improvement). From my man DeMar

Man ain't goin' nowhere.

Book it.
            Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Wed Sep 2, 2015, 04:03 AM.

Comment

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
              Well I'm encouraged that you are open to not wearing a blind-fold, or a paper bag, when DeMar hits the floor this fall.

I remain unconvinced that the options presented are the only ones possible.

But when you say "you feel sorry for me", if I don't accept your point of view, I submit that you undermine the open-mindedness you (thankfully) sought to evidence just two sentences above.

And I just don't like the suggestion that I am to be pitied for my views.
              If you don't want to take a legit shot at KD, then yes, I feel bad for you. Not just you Wildling but any fan that isn't willing to go after a premier talent who grew up cheering for our team, is friends with our peeps and whose current team is facing the financial and competition hardships of being a small market in the western conference.

If Kevin Durant, scoring champ and MVP, isn't worth taking the chance in ones view, then the risk adverse nature will never lead us to a Championship. The article that started this whole discussion mentions bold moves. Can anyone think of a bolder move that we have a chance at? How would our franchise future and perception alter if we could sign KD? Simply put, it would be the single most definitive moment in franchise history; finally trumping the Vince Carter trade. It needs to be explored and anyone not willing to go down that path, yes, I feel bad for them.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• [QUOTE=raptors999;514674]
                Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                This is again a system issue. Even if Demar shoots 25% and even poor shooter get close to 30%, you can't let players take shots where they are "comfortable". As a coach Demar needs to take x number of threes and y number off-ball - catch and shoot. Just like as a team they need to go inside znumber of times per quarter
                Demar is a seventh year player, and smart is a developing rookie.

Comment

Regarding keeping Demar and adding KD, my stance is that you need as many stars-calibres as you can to really have a chance. You need about 3.5 stars even if one of them is super.

Demar could be one of those 3.5, thanks to a cap hold of only 15. Or maybe he's used to land another in trade. It's just letting him walk (along with Ross and others) that doesn't look appetizing to me.

A lot of this does depend on continued improvement from DeMar, which I admittedly expect. I definitely feel its the safer bet than complete stagnation or further regression.

Edit - sorry if double
                  who are the 3.5 stars on Golden State?

Comment

• [QUOTE=SkywalkerAC;514681]
                    Mindlessness wrote: View Post

I don't buy into the 10,000 number as having actual validity, but the fact of the matter is that most players that continue working on their shots will at least approach 35% at some point in their 20s. I'm saying you probably should expect it.

DeMar's never going to shoot like Ray Allen but the foundation is there as he's already extended his range to the corners (left at least). An off season spent with a shooting coach (again pretty much expected in a contract year), an improved team around him, and shift in mindset (again all but guaranteed with the influx of new assistants to nudge both DD and Casey) all point in the sane direction for DeMar's shooting.

Sure no one wants to get in on this 31.5% bet?
                    what is the point of getting in on any bet.

31.5% from three is still below average and, as I type it, it is quite poor. And if we are talking about shooting guards, its almost laughable.

So I see no need to bet on a players 3pt shooting going from gross to laughable.

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                      3.5 Stars but usually a point, finisher/stopper and a big and a three. kD and Demar are both finishers. Kobe-Artest-Gasol-Fischer orLebron-wade-Bosh-Chalmers. DD doesnt pass or shoot well enough

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
                        Curry/Clay/Dray/Iggy

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                          If you don't want to take a legit shot at KD, then yes, I feel bad for you. Not just you Wildling but any fan that isn't willing to go after a premier talent who grew up cheering for our team, is friends with our peeps and whose current team is facing the financial and competition hardships of being a small market in the western conference.

If Kevin Durant, scoring champ and MVP, isn't worth taking the chance in ones view, then the risk adverse nature will never lead us to a Championship. The article that started this whole discussion mentions bold moves. Can anyone think of a bolder move that we have a chance at? How would our franchise future and perception alter if we could sign KD? Simply put, it would be the single most definitive moment in franchise history; finally trumping the Vince Carter trade. It needs to be explored and anyone not willing to go down that path, yes, I feel bad for them.
                          We don't really have a legit shot at KD but we should still take da shot.
                          #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

• BS10 wrote: View Post
                            We don't really have a legit shot at KD but we should still take da shot.
                            Which is exactly why the Raptors have a legit shot at KD

Comment

Curry/Clay/Dray/Iggy
                              I dont think I would call Klay a star any more than I would call Korver one.

Iggy is a vet, I give you the star

Green, I wouldnt call him a star either. He had a good series in the finals, and he is a very solid role player, but not a star.

You could have gone with Bogut.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                Which is exactly why the Raptors have a legit shot at KD
                                Word up, don.
                                #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Working...
                                X