Article: Ujiri Resting Heavily On Maintaining The Status Quo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
    Well, it seems Snooch is using a $20M figure for DeMar ... which isn't set in stone.
    In the scenario where we sign KD I have him at 18 million, which is about 7 million less than what his full max salary could be. Without KD I used 20 million, that is still about a 5 million dollar reduction.

I think we should factor in - potentially - that, if KD really wants to come and play with DD, then he'll understand that he may need to leave a few $Mill on the table (and DD too), until 2017, when the cap goes up again.
    I do not believe that is possible under the cba, and it would be the first time in the history that 2 pro athletes, on the same team, would take a paycut and sign only 1 year deals in an effort to try and get a few more million the following year. But I still dont even think it would give them much moer and it would further handicap the teams financials.

And we've got picks and prospects we're working with too. But if we're actually going to have a discussion - and why not? - about having KD, DD, JV, DC and KL, it really does become important to know if their is a scenario where we can keep Bruno and a couple of prospects, plus have a little left over to sign a couple of "guys".
    There is no scenario that that is possible. you cannot have KL, DD, JV, DC and KD AND a few picks/prospects and have money left over. Its is a salary cap/ cba impossibility.

I think the Board would give Masai luxury tax $ to make this happen, if it will help. They just spent what - $50M? - to get a coach for the Leafs. For cryin' out loud: Demar and Durant??
    Demar is a second tier player. that would be comparable to the Leafs paying 50 million for a head coach and 40 million for his assistant

Comment

So why won't luxury tax $ help us keep Bebe and Bruno?
      Because they most likely are the easiest things to let go in an effort to clear the capspace to get KD.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
        Bold 1 - again, you are linking KD to DD for no real reason except your own preference.

Bold 3 - This is where you lose me.
        Axel: I think I lost you at "hello".

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
          Because they most likely are the easiest things to let go in an effort to clear the capspace to get KD.
          well....except...you know
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

And could Bismack walk ... and then re-sign? And we're operating under the assumption that KD might want DeMar here. They seem to like each other. Hadn't you heard?

He ain't comin' cause I want him ... I know that much.
            He might want, but I doubt that would be the number one reason, and seriously question as to if he would rather demar and the gutting/handcuffing that comes with it.

Comment

Axel: I think I lost you at "hello".
              I don't recall you ever actually saying hello.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...-Thread/page31
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                well....except...you know
                hehe.

True.

Comment

• Going to bump this post (from the cap thread):

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Felt like doing some math tonight.. this is the outlook for 2016 (using bball insiders for help):

Carroll ($14,200,000), Lowry ($12,000,000), CoJo ($7,315,000), 2Pat ($6,050,000), JV ($14,382,023), Wright ($1,577,280), Powell ($874,636):
                  $56,398,939

Bruno: ($1,589,640)
                  $57,988,579

Bebe: ($1,921,320)
                  $59,908,899

2016 first (assume #5) - $3,227,100 - cap hold (should be signed @ 120% of that)
                  2016 first (assume #20) - $1,301,900 - cap hold (should be signed @ 120% of that)
                  $64,438,899

12th spot cap hold - $543,471 (minimum salary)
                  $64,982,370

DeMar's cap hold - $15,075,000
                  Biyombo's player option - $2,940,630
                  Ross (team option) - $4.790,680

JJ ($3,250,000), Scola ($3,480,000) and De Colo ($1,901,900) will have cap holds but will probably be renounced.

Assuming cap is at $89M.

Without DD's cap hold, Ross and Bioymbo - they have $24,017,630 cap space left. I believe the starting salary for Durant in 2016 given the max would be $24.9 (according to Bobby Marks).

If BB does not pick up his option, Raptors would have to shed some salary still (possibly Bebe) to get under the cap to go after KD. If BB picks up his option then someone like 2Pat will have to be traded for cap relief.

Notes:
                  - This is not news for a lot of folks, but I was interested in the fine details, and had some time to spare.
                  - The cap could go up above $89M.. I heard as high as $93M.
                  - BB will have a lot of power in the summer as he'll probably end up determining 2Pat's fate (unless the cap goes up), assuming Masai wants max money to work with (for 7-9 year free agents like KD).
                  - I really doubt TR or DD will be Raptors next year unless Masai strikes out on a max free agent (but I do suspect Batum will be his plan C).

Dan (or anyone) please correct my math if I'm wrong.
                  http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post512412

DanH corrected me on KD's first year max to be $25.1M but could go up if the cap goes up. And that it is qualifying offer for Ross (not a team option).

*EDIT: added individual player salaries in brackets.
                  Last edited by planetmars; Thu Sep 3, 2015, 01:12 PM.

Comment

• I assume Bioymbo could be traded if he picks up his option. But if he does and he can't be traded then other roster moves would have to be made to free up some space (assuming the cap stays around $89M and Durant's initial salary is about $25M).

Comment

So why won't luxury tax $ help us keep Bebe and Bruno?
                      Snooch wrote: View Post
                      Well, if we can use luxury tax dollars to extend them (I remember seeing a caveat for rookie after the the 2nd year of his entry contract, but ...?) then we do that, right? It's peanuts for a guy 1-year away ... or something.

Comment

• And once we sign somebody (KD, DD, anybody) does the 12th spot cap hold disappear? (But also peanuts.

Do you choose between Bebe and Biyombo?

It gets weirder with trading players for exceptions, doesn't it? Can't you trade a player with a positive salary for ... well, for a (i.e. business) loss ... a negative salary? So Powell or someone ...

Same idea with expiring contracts, right? But only in-season?

With Ppat and Cojo gone it's [$24M + $13.3M] $37.3M cap space.

T-Ross, Scola are gone. If you choose between Biyombo and Bebe you're at 40 or $41M space ...

Hmmm ...
                        Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Thu Sep 3, 2015, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• The good thing about this situation is that nothing has to be done until kd decides to sign, meaning he could basically hand pick the team he wants around him. Everybody will have cap space, and we have a bunch of good assets that other teams would be willing to take on without sending much back. There's also the sign and trade option where we have the guys to potentially bring in another really good player beside him.

Comment

Well, if we can use luxury tax dollars to extend them (I remember seeing a caveat for rookie after the the 2nd year of his entry contract, but ...?) then we do that, right? It's peanuts for a guy 1-year away ... or something.
                            you cannot use capspace while hanging onto your FAs, they have capholds, you need to release them.

Then because you are over the cap you cannot re-sign

Comment

And once we sign somebody (KD, DD, anybody) does the 12th spot cap hold disappear? (But also peanuts.

Do you choose between Bebe and Biyombo?

It gets weirder with trading players for exceptions, doesn't it? Can't you trade a player with a positive salary for ... well, for a (i.e. business) loss ... a negative salary? So Powell or someone ...

Same idea with expiring contracts, right? But only in-season?

With Ppat and Cojo gone it's [$24M + $13.3M] $37.3M cap space.

T-Ross, Scola are gone. If you choose between Biyombo and Bebe you're at 40 or $41M space ...

Hmmm ...
                              you can trade a player for nothing, it creates a tpe. Then you can then renounce your tpe(not sure if there is a "waiting" period on the renouncement or not)

Not sue where you get the 24 million capspace from.

Comment

• I say, let Demar go

Renouce everyone else, pick up no options, no qualifying options and cut everything

Trade Lowry and Ppat for TPEs

Offer KD 25 million
                                Offer Horford 20 Million

Trot out:

Joseph/Wright
                                Carroll/Powell
                                KD/
                                Horford/Biyombo
                                JV/

Use draft picks for depth
                                Use exemptions on ring chasing vets.

Comment