X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer
    replied
    Kuh wrote: View Post
    First the Spurs and their shooting coach, now the Warriors beefing up their 'physical performance' staff. Hmmm, it looks like the best teams already do spend freely in this area.

The NBA Champion Golden State Warriors announced the addition of three new members of the team’s physical performance and sports medicine staff, adding Chelsea Lane as head performance therapist, Michael Irr as performance coach and therapist, and Kurtis Rayfield as physical performance coach. The new additions join Warriors Head of Physical Performance and Sports Medicine Lachlan Penfold and Athletic Trainer Drew Yoder. – via NBA.com

Hard to see where improving individual performance, at no increase in cap affecting salary, is a losing deal.

Leave a comment:

• Kuh
    replied
    First the Spurs and their shooting coach, now the Warriors beefing up their 'physical performance' staff. Hmmm, it looks like the best teams already do spend freely in this area.

The NBA Champion Golden State Warriors announced the addition of three new members of the team’s physical performance and sports medicine staff, adding Chelsea Lane as head performance therapist, Michael Irr as performance coach and therapist, and Kurtis Rayfield as physical performance coach. The new additions join Warriors Head of Physical Performance and Sports Medicine Lachlan Penfold and Athletic Trainer Drew Yoder. – via NBA.com

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Kuh wrote: View Post
    ...Furthermore, his presence on the staff allows general manager R.C. Buford and the San Antonio player personnel department to pursue players, like Leonard, who are undervalued because of their shooting woes, knowing that they have the league’s best shot doctor on staff to improve things. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Engelland was involved at some level in the target identification process, recommending players he might be able to fix. That creates a perpetual advantage that goes beyond one player and one shot.[/I]
    This is the key part of the whole article, to me. Pay a guy 1 or 2 million a year, that doesn't show up on the cap, and then grap guys that are low in the draft, undrafted or are locked into a 2-3 year deal at relatively low salary and multiply their contribution to the teams win shares.

That's one way you can afford to start accumulating all-star/franchise players.

Leave a comment:

• Kuh
    replied
    Here's an article in Grantland which brings one of the Spurs' secret weapons 'out of the shadows': their shooting coach:
    http://grantland.com/features/the-shot-doctor/

The article hypothesizes this shooting coach is worth >$1M/year to the Spurs:
    ... is Engelland responsible for, say, 20 percent of that improvement? That would make Engelland worth more than $1 million to the organization, and that’s solely considering his work with Belinelli. Factor in Leonard’s transformation and the figure starts rising dramatically. Engelland might quietly be one of the most undervalued assets in basketball.

Furthermore, his presence on the staff allows general manager R.C. Buford and the San Antonio player personnel department to pursue players, like Leonard, who are undervalued because of their shooting woes, knowing that they have the league’s best shot doctor on staff to improve things. It wouldn’t be a surprise if Engelland was involved at some level in the target identification process, recommending players he might be able to fix. That creates a perpetual advantage that goes beyond one player and one shot.
    Last edited by Kuh; Tue Sep 15, 2015, 11:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Kuh
    replied
    e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
    I get where you're coming from. I Just think it'd have to be a huuuuuge number to pry the best coach away, and teams would find that superfluous spending. Plus, the NBA is a big brotherhood, and nobody wants to make enemies at other organizations, I think considering the fact that shooting coaches can be had on part time basis and for specific players, not to mention the fact that working on a player's shot is not something that takes forever. Even with the most raw shooter, eventually working with a coach will get him a (near) perfect shot, at which point his work is done and there's no need to have him on your payroll.
    I think Dave Hopla, the Raps former shooting consultant has gone full time at various points, eg with Washington, and now maybe Detroit?

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    ...Even with the most raw shooter, eventually working with a coach will get him a (near) perfect shot, at which point his work is done and there's no need to have him on your payroll.
    I would say that is a huge assumption on your part, considering some of the horrific shooting %'s we see in the game.

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    Unless one team is willing to pay you more than the rest combined...which has the side effect of removing your influence on the other 29 teams in the league. And you get to make the claim that you were the "Shooting coach who lead the Raptors to an NBA Championship" which should enhance your money making opportunities significantly.
    I get where you're coming from. I Just think it'd have to be a huuuuuge number to pry the best coach away, and teams would find that superfluous spending. Plus, the NBA is a big brotherhood, and nobody wants to make enemies at other organizations, I think considering the fact that shooting coaches can be had on part time basis and for specific players, not to mention the fact that working on a player's shot is not something that takes forever. Even with the most raw shooter, eventually working with a coach will get him a (near) perfect shot, at which point his work is done and there's no need to have him on your payroll.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    I get that it's a plus from a teams perspective. But if you're the best shooting coach in the world, you don't wanna be held down, you wanna be able to play your trade to everyone and make so much more money.
    Unless one team is willing to pay you more than the rest combined...which has the side effect of removing your influence on the other 29 teams in the league. And you get to make the claim that you were the "Shooting coach who lead the Raptors to an NBA Championship" which should enhance your money making opportunities significantly.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    draps wrote: View Post
    I like the brain training idea, even spending time doing simple things like how rondo plays connect 4, or playing poker, what ever helps to improve decision making, reading your opponent, seeing a couple moves in advance, concentration or whatever it may be.
    Here you go:
    http://www.hardtofindseminars.com/Wh...r_Coaching.htm
    http://www.wholebrainpowercoaching.com/

Leave a comment:

• e_wheazhy_
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    But this is exactly the area where non-salary cap money can have a huge impact.League average FG% was .449. Top team in FG% was the Golden state warriors at .478, just under 3% points better. Tiny increments of improvement at this level have huge impact. Not to mention that every extra made basket removes a chance for a transition basket by your opponent, so it improves the defensive stats as well.
    I get that it's a plus from a teams perspective. But if you're the best shooting coach in the world, you don't wanna be held down, you wanna be able to play your trade to everyone and make so much more money.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    ...they'd rather have the freedom and better financial flexibility to work with various players/teams from all over the world, charging something like $25gs a session rather than make $75gs yearly from one single team (cause I don't think te team would be willing to pay them $500grand yearly)
    But this is exactly the area where non-salary cap money can have a huge impact.League average FG% was .449. Top team in FG% was the Golden state warriors at .478, just under 3% points better. Tiny increments of improvement at this level have huge impact. Not to mention that every extra made basket removes a chance for a transition basket by your opponent, so it improves the defensive stats as well.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    FYI agents typically get about 3-4% of a player's salary. More on endorsements.

Leave a comment:

• draps
    replied
    I like the brain training idea, even spending time doing simple things like how rondo plays connect 4, or playing poker, what ever helps to improve decision making, reading your opponent, seeing a couple moves in advance, concentration or whatever it may be.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle_Si
    replied
    I don't know much about the inner workings of a professional sports franchise. MLSE has made it pretty clear they'll spend the money in the front office if they need to, so I'm pretty sure if Masai tells them he needs something or someone they'll get it.

Leave a comment:

• Kuh
    replied
    Most agencies, if not all, have so many services available to the players, and not for a few either, it's completely free. It's a part of the "benefit bundle" of having an agent. It's why so many players switch agencies and most tend to be represented by the same 10-15 guys.

Because think about it: an agent takes 10-15% of the player's salary, right? But what do they do? Negotiate the salary, maybe fetch some endorsements?

A player could pay a Lawyer $500 an hour to negotiate his contract, and even if it took him a 40 hour week, the player would only be out $20,000, or 1% of a $2 million contract. Smaller contracts are even easier to negotiate, and thus take up less time. The 40 hours example is a very extreme case and it definitely wouldn't take that long but just as an illustration. Agencies have PR people, financial advisors, personal trainers, even private investigators and people who's specialty is getting you out of trouble
    How do agencies handle the geography of these services? Do agencies have the league's best personal trainers? And if so, how do they spread these services/talents across so many clients in so many cities?

I would guess that the agency is good for the one-off 'I need out of trouble', but not so useful for the ongoing day-to-day personal training, eating, shot-coaching, etc, which is probably best done in the city you live in.

They could potentially do a good job on the financial services. Part of the challenge is that the agency will always feel a bit fly-by-night. You'd probably feel better having a lifetime pension from 'the Raptors' than from 'Rich Paul & Co'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X