Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legacy League SEMI-FINALS: Joey vs Apollo - VOTE NOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy League SEMI-FINALS: Joey vs Apollo - VOTE NOW!

The legacy league was created to pit teams drafted by fellow RR members against each other and allow the general RR populous to vote on who would win this winner take all, single elimination game if all players were at their peak performance.

Each team drafted an 8 man roster. Each team provided a gameplan justification as to why they believe they should get your vote. Each team is allowed 1 post for "in game adjustments." The role of RR community is simple, vote for who you believe should win. Post justification if you want (encouraged) and weigh the pros and cons for all to see, but ultimately, your vote decides who will win this tournament of legends.

SEMI-FINALS

Joey's Legacy Allstars

Starters
    PG Steve Nash aka Captain Canada - 18.6ppg, 11.6apg, 53%FG, 46%3P, 65%TS, 124 ORtg
    2x MVP, 8x All-Star, 7x All-NBA Selection (3x 1st Team), 5x Assist Leader, 4x 50-40-90 (Most in History), 3rd Most Assists in History

SG Ray Allen aka Jesus - 22ppg, 5.2rpg, 4.6apg, 1.5spg, 48%FG, 43%3P, 61%TS, 22.9 PER
    2x Champion, 10x All-Star, 2x All-NBA Selection, All-Time Leader in 3-Pointers Made

SF Ron Artest aka Metta World Peace - 18.3ppg, 5.3rpg, 2.1spg, 96 DRtg
    Defensive Player of the Year, NBA Champion, 4x All-Defensive Team Selection (2x 1st Team, 2x 2nd Team), BAMF

PF Willis Reed aka The Captain - 21.7ppg, 13.9rpg, 21.9 PER, 7.5DWS
    MVP, 2x Champion, 2x Finals MVP, 7x All-Star, 5x All-NBA Selection (1x 1st Team, 4x 2nd Team), All-NBA Defensive Team

C Wilt Chamberlain aka The Big Dipper - 50ppg, 25rpg 31.8 PER (Highest Ever for all 3) - Averaged 24, 24 & 8 on 68%FG at 30yo
    4x MVP, 13x Allstar, 2x Champion, 9x All NBA Selection (7x 1st Team), 11x Rebounds Leader, Led NBA in Assists in 67-68 because, why not .. ah just go here, he has a whole Wiki page on his accomplishments.

Bench
    PG Allen Iverson aka The Answer - 33ppg, 7.4apg, 1.9spg, 45%FG, 25.9 PER
    MVP, 11x All-Star, 7x All-NBA Selection (3x 1st Team, 3x 2nd Team), 3x Steals Leader, 4x Scoring Champion, BAMF

SG/SF Eddie Jones aka ... EJ - 20.1ppg, 4.8rpg, 4.2apg, 2.7spg, 38%3P, 20PER, 4.4DWS
    3x All-Defensive Team Selection, 3x All-Star, 1x Steals Leader

PF Shawn Kemp aka The Reign Man - 18.1ppg, 10.8rpg, 2.1bpg, 1.6spg, 22.9 PER, 6.0 DWS, 96 DRtg
    6x All-Star, 3x All-NBA 2nd Team Selection, BAMF

Apollo Lineup

PG - Penny Hardaway 4x All-Star, 2x All-NBA 1st Team
    SG - Kobe Bryant MVP, 5x Champion, 17x All-Star, 15x All-NBA (11x 1st Team), 9x All-Defensive 1st Team, 2x Scoring Leader
    SF - Elgin Baylor 11x All-Star, 10x All-NBA 1st Team
    PF - Shawn Marion 4x All-Star, 2x All-NBA 2nd Team, Champion
    C - Patrick Ewing 11x All-Star, 6x All-NBA 2nd team, 3x All-Defensive 2nd Team

Bench - Alex English 8x All-Star, 3x All-NBA 2nd Team, 1x Scoring Champ
    Bench - Tony Parker 4x Champion, 6x All-Star, 4x All-NBA Selection (3x 2nd Team)
    Bench - Dikembe Mutumbo 8x All-Star, 4x Defensive Player of the Year, 6x All-NBA Selection (3x 1st Team)

Joey's Gameplan

Offensive Gameplan
    Offensively, we will be Starting with Nash at the point, who look to maintain a breakneck pace while attacking on pick-and-rolls set by Shawn Kemp, Willis Reed and Wilt Chamberlain, which will in turn create shots for himself, or collapse the defense and create shots for teammates like Ray or Eddie in the corner, Ron on the Wing, or a Big on the Roll. I will look to have Ray and Eddie continuously running off-ball, which will force Kobe to either exert all his energy on Defense, or cheat at times, which will be deadly.

I also think Iverson will have a blast against this lineup, as there really isn't anyone who can match up with him when he comes into the game as a 6th man and wreaks havoc, not only on the cutting lanes with Nash, but also in Apollo's passing lanes, creating multiple steals for fast breaks.

Finally, Apollo's complete lack of bigman depth will be his downfall (and his lack of outside Shooting, but we'll get to that...), as he will ultimately need to rest both Mutumbo and Ewing, and his next big would be Marion (I assume), who would be swatted aside by any one of my 3 headed Beast; and even when Ewing or Mutumbo were on the floor, they really wouldn't stand a chance against Wilt and his massively superior strength, wingspan and overall size advantage.

Defensive Gameplan
    Defensively, packing the paint to take advantage of his weakness at the 3-point line, while having Ron and Eddie and their elite wing defense sticking tight on Kobe (or English or Penny) for 48 minutes should suffice for the perimeter. Down low, Mutumbo shouldn't be much of an offensive threat, which will allow for switching Wilt on to the smaller Ewing to take care of him, while having Reed and his heavy self pound with Mutumbo (Reed was famous for going toe-to-toe with Kareem..) to tire him out and force the sub. Kemp will match up perfectly with Marion, so look for him to see quite a lot of minutes, wherever Marion is positioned as well.

Apollo's Gameplan

Defense
    The matchups will be fairly straight forward with no unfavorable matchups he can toss at us. We will go man coverage. If AI is in the game we will focus preventing him from making cuts to the basket and instead making him resort to his hot/cold jumper and in the process keeping his teammates out of their rhythm. If Nash is in the game we will play him rough and utilize Penny’s great size advantage and far superior athleticism.

Joey has some good shooters and so we will challenge his wings with tight coverage.

Joey features a bunch of big men who do not have any range and do most of their damage in the paint. We’re fine with that as AI and Nash will have less options with the paint clogged.

Marion and Ewing will be focused on controlling the paint and limiting second chances.

Offense
    We’re going to continue looking to the fast break which has been highly successful with our long, athletic team.

Ewing will spend a lot of time at mid range, Marion will setup outside on the perimeter and this should free up some lanes for our three master finishers in Kobe, Elgin and Penny to penetrate and look for the harm or look for the outlet pass for the open shot.

We’ll also utilize a lot of pick and roll, attacking the basket & looking for the foul. If Joey puts Ron on Kobe we’re going to run a lot of offense through Elgin in the post down low and face up in the ISO.

We'll again expect Baylor to aggressively seek out offensive rebounds as our big men won’t always have good opportunities due to the offensive plan; fortunately Baylor is a master on the offensive glass. Penny and Kobe will also be expected to seek out offensive rebounding opportunities. Penny has a major size advantage over his defenders.

In Game Adjustments

Apollo's Adjustments
    Coach's Comments: "I have assembled a roster with the skills and versatility to thrive in the new age game as opposed to Joey's roster which features some prominent relics from the past who may not transition well to the new rules; fouls will surely be an issue he may not be able to address/overcome while facing this high octane offense."

Offense
    Joey built his entire game plan on the premise that my squad can’t shoot the three and that’s fine by us as Marion *(.536), Kobe *(.400), Penny *(.404) and Tony Parker *(.371) all have proven long range capabilities when it matters. If Joey wants to give uncontested shots to these guys we will be more than happy, and satisfied, knocking them down.

We will run a lot of pick & roll and as shots start falling Joey will have to relent but in the meantime we will not be discouraged by traffic in the paint as Kobe, Penny and Marion are all great finishers and with the vision to slash when they see their openings develop.

We’re also going to pick up the pace as it is to our advantage to push it down court as quickly as possible looking for each cuts to the bucket and/or high percentage open shots; Joey can’t stop what he can’t catch and those slow old school big men will not be able to keep up in this track meet.

Defense
    We’ve brought in Dikembe Mutombo to offer an elite lockdown defender element to the game. Him paired with Marion will severely limit the offense's inside opportunities. We’re going to continue to play Joey in man defense and rely on our size, length and sheer grit to disrupt his offense.

Joey's Adjustments

My team is built for ball-movement, breakneck pace and perfectly balanced inside-outside game, where as Apollos team has too many dribble-heavy perimeter players who can't really shoot from out there, coupled with no real offensive threat downlow, now that Ewing is out; so if he plans on picking up the pace, we're game, since Steve Nash and Allen Iverson will be right in their element, with plenty of Athletic Bigs to play off of and shooters to find in the corners.

Apollo wrote:
    We’ve brought in Dikembe Mutombo to offer an elite lockdown defender element to the game. Him paired with Marion will severely limit the offense's inside opportunities. We’re going to continue to play Joey in man defense and rely on our size, length and sheer grit to disrupt his offense.
    Leaving Marion as the starting Power Forward to team with Dikembe, and subbing out Patrick Ewing his second best Offensive Weapon (in my opinion), are both moves I think will work in my favour; I'll sub in arguably the most athletic Power Forward in NBA history, Shawn Kemp, who again will match up very nicely against Marion (Kemp is 6'10", Marion is 6'7", but arguably just as athletic, if not more so.) and between him and Wilt, we will exploit these matchups.

Apollo wrote:
    The matchups will be fairly straight forward with no unfavorable matchups he can toss at us.
    It could be easily argued that Wilt Chamberlain is an "unfavorable matchup" any time he steps on the floor, Kemp against Marion is pretty unfavorable as well, and Ron Artest certainly isn't ever favorable by any means.

Apollo wrote:
    Joey built his entire game plan on the premise that my squad can’t shoot the three and that’s fine by us as Marion *(.536), Kobe *(.400), Penny *(.404) and Tony Parker *(.371) all have proven long range capabilities when it matters. If Joey wants to give uncontested shots to these guys we will be more than happy, and satisfied, knocking them down.
    With Artest guarding Kobe, and Kemp on Marion, I'm not sure how they plan on getting any "uncontested shots", and I'm confident that Nash, Iverson and Eddie can be pesky enough to disrupt any outside shooting threat Parker or Hardaway may pose, though I'm not worried about them shooting from outside.
    If the 6'5" Baylor wants to try and step up and post up, Jones would sub in on Kobe and Artest would push Baylor right out of the paint.

So RR faithful, who wins this game?
    Joey's Legends
    57.14%
    Apollo's Legends
    42.86%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Axel; Fri Sep 11, 2015, 09:00 AM.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

In Game Adjustments

Apollo's Adjustments
    Coach's Comments: "I have assembled a roster with the skills and versatility to thrive in the new age game as opposed to Joey's roster which features some prominent relics from the past who may not transition well to the new rules; fouls will surely be an issue he may not be able to address/overcome while facing this high octane offense."

Offense

We will run a lot of pick & roll and as shots start falling Joey will have to relent but in the meantime we will not be discouraged by traffic in the paint as Kobe, Penny and Marion are all great finishers and with the vision to slash when they see their openings develop.

We’re also going to pick up the pace as it is to our advantage to push it down court as quickly as possible looking for each cuts to the bucket and/or high percentage open shots; Joey can’t stop what he can’t catch and those slow old school big men will not be able to keep up in this track meet.

Defense

* = Career year, playoffs.

Comment

Sorry Apollo, but I think this is a beat down by Joey. Just on the basis of Kobe being massively over-rated, I have to vote against your team. lol.

Kobe-hate aside, Ron Artest or Eddie Jones takes Kobe out of the game while Wilt completely dominates the paint on both sides of the ball. Try to bring in Mutombo to slow down Wilt, then Nash/Allen/Jones start raining 3's. And I absolutely love the idea of A.I. off the bench, where he belongs. Only chance Apollo has is to attack Nash, but even then, Joey's got a bunch defensive studs to help out, and could sub Nash with A.I. Joey's just got a solid team there.

Comment

For me right now it is the Kobe versus ALlen matchup.

Personally I think that Eddie Jones would be better served in the starting lineup slowing down Kobe.

Comment

A good matchup, but two things stand out to me, both of which favor Joey.

1. Apollo's team relies too much on Kobe, especially when Joey's team seems built to stop a ball-dominant wing. There just isn't enough secondary scoring, especially from the perimeter.

2. Joey's starting front court will dominate with Marion playing PF for extended minutes. If a switch is made to trot out the massive twin towers (Ewing and Mutombo), then Joey can counter their monolithic pace by going small (4 wings/guards & Wilt) and running them out of the gym.

Comment

I still like planetmars over either of these teams
            "Stop eating your sushi."
            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Adjustments

My team is built for ball-movement, breakneck pace and perfectly balanced inside-outside game, where as Apollos team has too many dribble-heavy perimeter players who can't really shoot from out there, coupled with no real offensive threat downlow, now that Ewing is out; so if he plans on picking up the pace, we're game, since Steve Nash and Allen Iverson will be right in their element, with plenty of Athletic Bigs to play off of and shooters to find in the corners.

Apollo wrote:
              Leaving Marion as the starting Power Forward to team with Dikembe, and subbing out Patrick Ewing his second best Offensive Weapon (in my opinion), are both moves I think will work in my favour; I'll sub in arguably the most athletic Power Forward in NBA history, Shawn Kemp, who again will match up very nicely against Marion (Kemp is 6'10", Marion is 6'7", but arguably just as athletic, if not more so.) and between him and Wilt, we will exploit these matchups.

Apollo wrote:
              The matchups will be fairly straight forward with no unfavorable matchups he can toss at us.
              It could be easily argued that Wilt Chamberlain is an "unfavorable matchup" any time he steps on the floor, Kemp against Marion is pretty unfavorable as well, and Ron Artest certainly isn't ever favorable by any means.

Apollo wrote:
              With Artest guarding Kobe, and Kemp on Marion, I'm not sure how they plan on getting any "uncontested shots", and I'm confident that Nash, Iverson and Eddie can be pesky enough to disrupt any outside shooting threat Parker or Hardaway may pose, though I'm not worried about them shooting from outside.
              If the 6'5" Baylor wants to try and step up and post up, Jones would sub in on Kobe and Artest would push Baylor right out of the paint.
              Last edited by Joey; Tue Sep 8, 2015, 09:53 PM.

Comment

I'm going with Apollo. Great adjustment bringing Dikembe in, much better matchup with Wilt.

Big problem for Joey is he only has one Artest - if Artest takes Kobe out of the game, Ray Allen is defending Elgin Baylor. That seems like it would end badly. And Nash guarding Penny? Yikes. Yeah, you've got Wilt defending the rim, but these guys don't need to get all the way to the rim to score - give any of them an open shot from midrange and they are hitting it.

Meanwhile, for all his shooting, Joey's team is lined up against defenders who can stick with his guys. Add in the always-present question of just how Wilt would stack up against modern NBA players...

My description sounds one sided but that's just me overcompensating and trying to sell it hard because this was a really tough one to pick.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I like both teams, but I like Team Apollo here a little bit more due to matchups. It's going to be very hard to guard Penny / Kobe / Baylor with Nash / Ray Allen / Artest. Size, offensive talent is overwhelming. Normally I would think that this team lacks shooting, but with Marion as stretch 4 I think it's ok.

I like that Team Apollo has Mutombo and Ewing to throw at Wilt. If Wilt gets a really good position, you can foul and hope he misses free throws. This team can afford some fouls without having to defend Wilt with scrubs.

Also, I'm not sure about the plan to use Wilt in pick and roll. Not his game, I've never seen him set a screen. Big change for him.

Comment

Riding off into the sunset.

Congrats Joey! Good luck in the finals.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me here and in prior rounds.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Congrats Joey! Good luck in the finals.

Thanks to everyone who voted for me here and in prior rounds.
                      Thanks man! Great match! Can't believe I pulled that one off.

Don't worry everyone who voted for me, your cash is in the mail .... Haha

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                        Thanks man! Great match! Can't believe I pulled that one off.

Don't worry everyone who voted for me, your cash is in the mail .... Haha
                        Crazy that you're going to the finals when all your number one choices got taken in the draft lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                          Crazy that you're going to the finals when all your number one choices got taken in the draft lol
                          Hah Y'know its funny, I was thinking this myself. Though, granted, I'm not the only one who had a bunch of my guys stolen ... I just moaned the most when it happened. Haha But ya, looking back, guys like Hayes and Thurmond and Rice probably wouldn't have served the roles I needed quite as well as the guys I ended up nabbing.

I also think the fact that my team isn't dominated by guys who need to pound the ball in order to be effective, has helped me massively. I think my team has a good "chemistry" in that everyone has a clearly defined role, and there is plenty of Ball, Minutes and Court for each of them to perform their role.

And Wilt Chamberlain helps.

Comment

Hah Y'know its funny, I was thinking this myself. Though, granted, I'm not the only one who had a bunch of my guys stolen ... I just moaned the most when it happened. Haha But ya, looking back, guys like Hayes and Thurmond and Rice probably wouldn't have served the roles I needed quite as well as the guys I ended up nabbing.

I also think the fact that my team isn't dominated by guys who need to pound the ball in order to be effective, has helped me massively. I think my team has a good "chemistry" in that everyone has a clearly defined role, and there is plenty of Ball, Minutes and Court for each of them to perform their role.

I'm assuming you guys can figure out the Finals matchup without me announcing it
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Yeah man i had a Tough draft. I wasn't even supposed to be in this league, had the last pick in the first round and had to sit through basically 30 picks and watch all my guys get drafted ahead of me. I feel like that fact, though, allowed me to think outside the box a little and build a team that compliments each other veeeery well instead of a team of just really good players.

See you in the finals, Joey!
                              A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Working...
                              X