Cool Stories??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Stories??

I think we have discussed the roster and hypothetics of the next year to death already so i figure its time for a little change of pace.

I follow Bruno on snapchat and he posts quite a few pictures and videos of him in the streets of Toronto. This got me thinking, do any RR posters have and cool Raptors stories? Any cool run ins with players etc?

I went to a game a few years back and headed over to Real Sports Bar after the game. I was outside having a smoke when who do I see sauntering up? The Young Gunz! lol DeMar, Sonny and Amir. I was pretty drunk at the time, so I just sorta said "OHHHH SHIT, WHAT'S UP GUYS?!" Then we gave daps and I finished my smoke. The end.

Might not be too cool, but it's a story.
    The Double Champ is here!
    Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
    Raptors: Larry O'Brien

Comment

Went to summer league in 2012. Got to watch some of a game with Triano, and spent a few minutes talking with Lowry and Landry. Both were stand-up guys. After I talked to them they were hounded by about 20-30 kids for autographs. Security tried to break it up since the kids were standing in an aisle to reach where the two of them were sitting.

Both got up out of their seats and went and sat in an empty section so that the kids could all get their autographs.
      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Cool story bro

Comment

Once when the Raptors came to Vancouver for a preseason game, I saw Shawn Marion from afar and shouted "Don't worry Shawn, we'll get you PAID!" He smiled. Later he got paid, but not by us.

Comment

Fair few years back I was in Subway getting lunch and as I walked in I noticed the guy paying was quite tall, upon double take I realized it was Mike Miller (then with Minnesota) and 2 or 3 guys I didn't recognize. As I looped round into line I noticed that at the pop machine I walked past stood the rookie Kevin Love.

My exact words were to the effect of "Holy it's Mike Miller...holy crap Kevin Love too". They both looked at me, smiled and left without a word. Either no one else in the store knew who they were or they were just cooler than I.

They were in town for preseason game I later realized.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I went to a basketball game in 2008 (celtics vs raptors) and i was taking pictures with the cheerleaders as any other teenager would and i actually got to meet Ray Allen and coughpaulpiercecough sorry... also met my favourite raptor of all time Morris Peterson at a basketball clinic at RIM park. But my favourite raptors related event was when i got the move of the night, i was sitting in the "sprite" section at a raptors vs. pacers game and got to see the game up close for the same time; from that point forward i fell in love with the game!

awesome thread first one i've actually decided to post in

Comment

These stories just make me jealous I live halfway across the world from Toronto.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                  These stories just make me jealous I live halfway across the world from Toronto.
                  Thats part of the reason i posted the question, i dont live very close to any nba team. My dad and i visited toronto earlier this year and went to a raps game. My first game ended up being a hell of a game, as it was a close game against the Rockets in which DD got a career high in points. Didnt meet any raps or anything but it was a great experience.

Comment

Once I sat in the top deck of the SkyDome for a Raptors game - couldn't even see the near third of the court because of the temporary stands they would set up on that side. It was awesome. I think Stoudamire winked at me.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

In 1995 a co-worker asked me if I wanted to play some pickup basketball at their weekly gym. I was like, ok, but I haven't played that much since school days so I'm pretty rusty. And he's like, don't worry the guys are mostly other co-workers and they aren't that good. I was still relatively athletic back then and when I looked around the company (nerd computer company), I was relatively confident that I wouldn't embarrass myself.

So, we get to the gym at Glendon College (York University campus), my buddy opens the gym door and the first person I see is Damon Stoudamire. WTF. Carlos Rogers is sitting down against a wall. The gym is full of Raptor players. I'm stunned and like, are you kidding me? You play against these guys? Where is the hidden camera?

What was going on was that it was the first season of the Raptors and their regular practice gym was Glendon College. It seems unbelievable, but back in those days the Raptors franchise simply rented a gym time-slot, just like corporate garage league scrubs and practiced there. There was pretty much no security, so anybody could drop in and check things out. That night, our group actually kicked the Raps out of the gym because their time was up and they started cutting into our time. LOL. I was so intimidated that first night, I don't think I even touched a ball until all the players were gone.

The funny thing is, back then the Raptors were still relatively unknown, and nobody bothered or hounded the players. Over the course of that winter, from time to time, we pretty much saw every player from the first season and also some cool moments like Isiah Thomas and Damon really going at it, one-on-one. Isiah could still play, believe me.

Looking back, I can only imagine just how rinky-dink the players thought the whole thing was, but I guess it was just the state of the early Raps franchise, struggling with cash (Isiah & John Bitove were still part owners) and trying to get off the ground.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                        That night, our group actually kicked the Raps out of the gym because their time was up and they started cutting into our time.
                        hahahhahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: but on a more serious note - if that was actually the state of the franchise from day one, then it shouldn't be surprising how much of a disaster it's been so far. For anyone familiar with chaos theory: sensitive dependence on initial conditions...
                        Last edited by JimiCliff; Tue Sep 15, 2015, 10:06 AM.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          hahahhahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Edit: but on a more serious note - if that was actually the state of the franchise from day one, then it shouldn't be surprising how much of a disaster it's been so far. For anyone familiar with chaos theory: sensitive dependence on initial conditions...
                          I know, it's so bizarre in retrospect. LOL. Actually, a few of our guys were getting pissed because they paid money up-front for the whole season. It must have been a completely (negative) new experience for these NBA guys who were used to being worshipped down south, coming up here to hockey country and getting dis-respected like that.

Memory is fading, but I rarely recall seeing them getting asked for autographs - which is kind of nice how we Canadians give them their space, but back then it was because a lot of people didn't really care about basketball in T.O., even the NBA.

Comment

1995 at the Raptors 3-on-3 tourney I won a week at camp Raptors in the 3 pt shootout. Isiah was a guest coach and played one on one just like in hoop dreams. I, sadly, didn't play him. Doug Christie was one of our guest coaches. When he came to work with the oldest group, he was telling us about some tricks he uses. He liked to try to distract his defender by making a weird noise or a play call that didn't exist, trying to get them off balance for just a second. I told him about my Dion Sanders high-step I sometimes did on a fast break, then crossing over on the guy. Doug goes "coo, coo" Couple nights later, watching a game on tv, Christie is on a fast break. What does he do? Two quick high steps like he's about to score a touch down, then a quick cross over.
                            Bam! Drops mike, walks off stage.......

Comment

1. My mom had dinner with AC green and his wife

2. Met Shaq once, his hand is absolutely massive, and he's a nice dude.

There's more, but I gotta jet, have a hot date! Woohoooo

Comment

Working...
                              X