DD Living in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD Living in Canada

I wanted to bring to light some non-basketball issues regarding DD continuing to play and live in Toronto.

Many posters will recall when Anotonio Davis moved to Toronto a lot was made of this in both Canadian and US national press. The issues re schooling were a big issue for his family. DD and his wife have a beautiful 2 year old daughter. In another year it will be time to enrol her in pre-school. Raising a child in Toronto is different than say in California. However I think over the years the Raptor organization as a whole has done a great job debunking some of the misconceptions living in Canada. Yes our dollar is different and yes we have French and English as official languages; also our tax system is different--yet despite these difference more and more it seems to me players and their families are not as afraid to move here as 20 years ago

Demar and his wife are at a point in their lives where professional decisions more and more will take into account family considerations

I hope all posters would consider the impact of him committing to another 5 years after this season to living and working in Toronto. Their daughter would be 8 at the conclusion of that contract and well entrenched in school.

Stability both personally and professionally would also be an issue for the DeRozan family.

Toronto is also less dangerous and more diverse than most places in the states. I think DD considers this since he's lived here for a period of time.
    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
      Many posters will recall when Anotonio Davis moved to Toronto a lot was made of this in both Canadian and US national press. The issues re schooling were a big issue for his family.
      That whole ridiculousness said more about the small-mindedness of Antonio Davis than anything else. Any level-headed person would love to live in Toronto. Take note that of all of the players who either made a stink about playing in Canada, or are cited as being reasons the Raptors can't keep/attract talent (Vince, T-Mac, Stoudemire, Antonio, Steve Francis) NONE of them ever won a championship, and most of them were seen as underachieving throughout their careers. Those are the kind of results you get from someone without enough sense to embrace one of the greatest cities/countries in the world.

Edit: I had not eaten lunch before this post. I think I was a little hangry. Having now eaten, I don't feel nearly as strong on the subject.
      Last edited by JimiCliff; Wed Sep 23, 2015, 01:43 PM.
      "Stop eating your sushi."
      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

DD loves Toronto. I really doubt DD and his wife are worried about child's education. We are bit different, but we are GOOD. These misconceptions need to stop. Everyone who spent at least few years in Toronto would say that this city is perfect for families and kids.

Honestly, fuck the people who don't like us. We ain't 'Merica. We are Canada. Foreigners should expect cultural and other changes.

Comment

I wonder how many player-parents have schoold aged kids in their home-team city? Most have a home base independent of their current employer. I wouldn't be surprised if DD's family moves back to LA once his daughter is school aged.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

It certainly warrants a little attention...sure...but I am not sure why demar has anything to do with the sentiment.

City is one of the worlds best. Period. Been said and shown and studied many times.

I dont see it having any bearing on a players resigning in relationship to team, management and money.

The impact of demar resigning has been discussed many times, and i am sure that it would be easier on someone to not have to chamge teams and mive their family, but bottom line business basketball it doesnt matter

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Comment

This stuff matters for some guys. I heard a long talk about this stuff on the Fan 590 recently with (I think) Pat Hengten talking about what it might mean to David Price. Hengten says a lot of US players hate the idea of coming here ... and love it when they come.

What'ya'know .... no igloos!

But when I remember seeing that Delon Wright video about his draft day - and saw all his childhood friends and extended family gathered together to share in his big day - I wonder how much Demar might be leaving behind by fully settling in T.O. There's no question this is a great city - relatively safe, diverse, exciting, wealthy. Paul Molitor made that decision with his family when he signed here (and I served him at a restaurant in Yorkville in the off-season Nice guy.

But who can tell? Whether it's about money or winning or locker-room "fit" or family considerations ...

All I can say is ... this ain't Cleveland. Or Indianapolis. Or OKC. Or Wisconsin. (etc., etc.) I think being Toronto gives us a bit of an edge, certainly ... because DeMar's no fucking dummy.

Comment

He's probably feeling pretty settled, pretty content off-the-court. I'd be surprised if his preference wasn't to stay put. I think we can safely bet on him having a big season for a winning team this year.

32%+ from 3 here we come!

Comment

Not going to change anyone's mind, but this vid does show misses, and some nice-looking 3-balls. It's a pretty half-assed workout, but then you see that it's at midnight.

#ProveEm

PS - and the VR intro is pretty funny

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                    Not going to change anyone's mind, but this vid does show misses, and some nice-looking 3-balls. It's a pretty half-assed workout, but then you see that it's at midnight.

#ProveEm

So many shots just inside the arc though, would love to see the step back take him just outside the arc. It's an extra foot back, that's all i want...

Comment

#ProveEm

Every time he takes a shot with his feet on the 3-pt line I want to scream.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Does anyone know how many Raptors live / own homes in Toronto? Or is DD the only one?

Comment

#ProveEm

+1
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I believe PP lives in the aurora towers condos at college and yonge. I've also seen Bruno and Bebe around Toronto shopping in Eatons

Comment

Owning a house/condo is no big deal. There was an episode of Open Gym that had Lou Williams buying a house in Toronto last summer, just after the trade. He bought it on the spot.

The real leap in commitment/attachment to the city would be an American player deciding to live here year-round. Pretty sure CoJo is going to live here year round.

Comment

Working...
                              X