Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DeMar DeRozan: PER Over/Under & What if...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    It's preseason and you don't want to read to much into it, but usually if there is a change to someones game that they have been working on over the summer you wold see it because they finally get to put what they've been practicing, into play. Havn't really seen anything new from DD, thus far. Shot isn't dropping at a seemingly higher clip, still taking difficult turn around/fade away shots, still not looking to create for team mates. If he could just learn to use his ability to penetrate to create for others I think he would get so many more open opportunities himself. But right now defenders just have to crowd him because they know he won't give it up until he is forced to pick up his dribble. Of course it could just be that everyone on the team is just standing around and not creating an opening for him to pass which is the the same problem which plagues JV's passing game, lol.
    4.4 assists/36 aint bad.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      Or the player is just limited in what he can do? That's the simplest explanation. Players, especially by the time they reach the NBA, basically are what they are. Guys might improve around the margins and add certain skills but they don't fundamentally transform. Coaches, trainers, etc. can help refine skills and improve a player's game or help a guy get to his level if he's underachieving but they can't raise his ceiling or undo his physical and mental limitations.

I think a big part of the frustration fans have with guys like Derozan is that you look at the stuff he does well and say, "Well, if he can do that, why isn't he a better passer? A better playmaker? Why doesn't he just do it?" And, then, more frustratingly, you see a few games where he actually does drive and kick or dump it off and, so, you know that he is capable of it. But. BUT. Then it is gone again. Why? Cause in the game, when things are going 10,000 miles an hour and decisions need to be made in split seconds - he can't do it. At least not all the time. That's why he's Demar Derozan and not Lebron James.
      This is pretty much it. No matter how hard an NBA player works, he is never going to achieve that genius-level creativity we see in superstars, the stuff that makes the top players truly special.

I don't think Demar physically has the footspeed/first step to be the player he aspires to be (Kobe), so he needs to be more workmanlike in his approach. But his brain has become programmed to do certain things on the floor--partly as a reflection of his limitations. The contested fades happen because he can't get past his man in iso situations.

Still waiting for someone on the coaching staff to push him into full Rip Hamilton mode, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen under DC.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        The one thing that should be noted here in this discussion is that two years ago Derozan did change his game.

In his All-Star year, he went to the line 630 times (!!!!!), which was 200 times more than the previous season and 300 times more than 11-12. A massive difference. He also shot 210 threes, the same number he shot in the previous two seasons combined. He also had 100 more assists (1.5 more per game) and his AST% went from 12% to 19%.

Last season was a step back (some of it injury related and some not) and he's not a great playmaker but, even in the pedestrian 14-15 season, his AST% didn't collapse and he took fewer FGAs per game. He's never going to be the player that a lot of posters on here want him to be but simply getting back to taking more threes as he did two seasons ago while maintaining his AST numbers, together with shooting at his career percentages (44 vs. 41 last year) will make him much more effective.
        And, correct me if I'm wrong, but he basically got back to this level down the stretch (March and April) last season.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
          This is pretty much it. No matter how hard an NBA player works, he is never going to achieve that genius-level creativity we see in superstars, the stuff that makes the top players truly special.

I don't think Demar physically has the footspeed/first step to be the player he aspires to be (Kobe), so he needs to be more workmanlike in his approach. But his brain has become programmed to do certain things on the floor--partly as a reflection of his limitations. The contested fades happen because he can't get past his man in iso situations.

Still waiting for someone on the coaching staff to push him into full Rip Hamilton mode, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen under DC.
          I dont think it is in managements plans to keep him around anymore, that is why is will be allowed to do whatever he wants on the court with no reprocussion......in hopes of raising his own value. Team itself will work more through Lowry/Carroll and JV in terms of sets. Demar will be allowed to "go get his"

Comment

• Snooch wrote: View Post
            I dont think it is in managements plans to keep him around anymore, that is why is will be allowed to do whatever he wants on the court with no reprocussion......in hopes of raising his own value. Team itself will work more through Lowry/Carroll and JV in terms of sets. Demar will be allowed to "go get his"
            Did you mean to put in a 'not' in that first sentence - ie "will not be allowed to do whatever he wants"? Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense. He's not in management's long term plans, and that's why he will be allowed to run haywire?

Comment

Dude, if the management team pushed him to play like Rip Hamilton offensively I'm betting his value doubles. Being "allowed to do whatever he wants" is probably dangerous because there's a chance he shoots himself into the lowest of lows.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                Did you mean to put in a 'not' in that first sentence - ie "will not be allowed to do whatever he wants"? Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense. He's not in management's long term plans, and that's why he will be allowed to run haywire?
                i figure management will be focused more on the other pieces, demar can do whatever for his touches and usage, and then he can be replaced by a better option at the same roll

Comment

i figure management will be focused more on the other pieces, demar can do whatever for his touches and usage, and then he can be replaced by a better option at the same roll
                  Via trade? And what do you mean by 'focused on other pieces'?

Comment

Via trade? And what do you mean by 'focused on other pieces'?
                    You sound paranoid. Maybe you should switch to milder buds

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      You sound paranoid. Maybe you should switch to milder buds
                      Honest question - I'm confused really. If you want to build his value up with trade, you might want him to max out his scoring. If you're ready to let him walk, you probably limit him a bit and spread minutes elsewhere.

Comment

Honest question - I'm confused really. If you want to build his value up with trade, you might want him to max out his scoring. If you're ready to let him walk, you probably limit him a bit and spread minutes elsewhere.
                        Forum always wants to trade players playing like garbage for quasi all-star on other teams. Toronto is the anti-Spurs

Comment

Working...
                        X