A new era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    And therein lies the problem with a catch-all term 'Basketball IQ'. You have guys that know the game really well, communicate it to others, but can't really play (relative to top NBA talent) - think coaches, Salabrine, Jacques Vaughn. Then you've got guys that only know a limited roll on offense but are all-world on D. On the other side, many uber-smart point guards can't play a lick defensively.

BBall IQ is usually so poorly defined as to mean nothing. And to assume that young players can't develop their knowledge and skill in any facet of the game is asinine.
    I agree and think the same is true with athleticism. So many different physical skills are actually "athleticism" and each guy has some combination of those skills. In basketball "athletic" usually actually means "jumps high."
    Last edited by S.R.; Wed Sep 30, 2015, 02:02 PM.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
      I would rate Amir over Scola every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Amir is an intelligent like Scola and the better defender.
      Amir made a lot of bone headed plays.. bad fouls, moving on picks, poor decisions offensively at times, etc.
      Amir is probably one my favourite Raptors of all time and would prefer him over Scola, but I never considered him to be a smart player.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        Amir made a lot of bone headed plays.. bad fouls, moving on picks, poor decisions offensively at times, etc.
        Amir is probably one my favourite Raptors of all time and would prefer him over Scola, but I never considered him to be a smart player.
        My perception of Amir is quite different. The Celtics must have noticed something at $12 mil per.

Comment

My perception of Amir is quite different. The Celtics must have noticed something at $12 mil per.
          I love Amir.. just don't think he's that smart.

But it's $12M for one year... and they had the cap space for this year to give it to him (second year is 100% non guaranteed).

Comment

Yeah, they noticed they didn't have a single good, tradable non-rookie contract on their roster, so they signed Amir to a reasonable (no way he was going to get less than $10M per) deal that could be easily moved. This way if they want to trade for a superstar, they don't have to trade half their team to match contracts.

*Let me clarify what I mean by good and tradable contract. Some of their smaller deals (like Thomas or Bradley) are a bit smaller and a bit longer. Teams may not want to commit to those years, and the Celtics would need a bit more filler as well to move those guys in a big deal. Lee is the biggest contract, but may have no on-court value to trading partners. Amir has on-court value, his deal covers a big chunk of what would be any big trade, and it's only this year fully guaranteed so it is similar to an expiring (with the added bonus that a trade partner might actually want to keep him for his 2nd year).
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Sep 30, 2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

I'm just glad that everyone agrees that I'm right about everything.

#brunoAllStar
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                Moving picks are only a boneheaded play the 5% of the time a ref blows the whistle (and that's being generous). And I'd much prefer his solid, if borderline legal, picks to JV screening air almost every time.

Same with all the times Amir held onto an opponent to keep the lane open for a driving teammate, it's crafty stuff that helps the teams and he usually gets away with it. The boneheaded plays likely stick out more because they're so unusual for him.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                  Moving picks are only a boneheaded play the 5% of the time a ref blows the whistle (and that's being generous). And I'd much prefer his solid, if borderline legal, picks to JV screening air almost every time.

Same with all the times Amir held onto an opponent to keep the lane open for a driving teammate, it's crafty stuff that helps the teams and he usually gets away with it. The boneheaded plays likely stick out more because they're so unusual for him.
                  When I played, I was a big so I get very frustrated by 100% blame placed on big for moving screen.

JV doesn't set perfect picks all the time.

However JV's teammates don't often use the pick properly or wait for the pick to be set all the time either.

That is basic fundamentals that many players - at all levels including, shockingly, at the NBA - lack.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    When I played, I was a big so I get very frustrated by 100% blame placed on big for moving screen.

However JV's teammates don't often use the pick properly or wait for the pick to be set all the time either.

That is basic fundamentals that many players - at all levels including, shockingly, at the NBA - lack.
                    Yup there's definitely shared blame.

The good thing with JV is he can actually set really hard screens that knock guys on their asses.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

Yeah I get that. They definitely trusted Amir more and it could have been that most of JV's screen were just the initial action to a set, so they weren't intended to get someone an open shot and so the guards just half-assed around them. Not like some of them were actually looking to pass JV the ball anyway. That would be ridiculous.

Hopefully that changes. But still, for whatever reasons, I've seen JV whiff on screens a ton more than any other big on the Raps. But I also could be wrong.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Ball IQ can be learned as a player gains more experience. Amir when he started off as Bosh's backup was a foul-out machine/instant 6 fouls. Yes he was still young but watching him back then was very frustrating considering that he played behind the likes of veteran winners like Big Ben, Sheed, McDyess in Detroit. Then BC offered him that contract which everyone at that time thought was overpayment.

I think Bruno will spend a lot of time in Sauga. He's the main reason why they got a D League team in the first place - to develop our prospects without having to compete with other teams. Nathan Jawaii pointed it out too that the D League wasn't really a developmental league, but rather a 2nd class league where everyone on the team tried to outcompete each other to see who gets called up.

Comment

Working...
                        X