Has Casey finally learned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
    But Shapiro is the GM. its like offering Casey a 4 year extension to be an assistant. Either way AA is gone and nobody cares. There wouldn't be a peep if MU fired Casey by the media then or now.
    This will be my last post RE: Blue Jays since we're getting off topic. Let me clarify some stuff.

In baseball, GM = coach (Blue Jays equivalent to Casey is Gibbons). Confusing because in basketball, GM = exec (or President of Operations). They offered an extension to AA, their President of Baseball Operations (the basketball equivalent is GM (Masai)). He turned down the extension. It's nothing like offering Casey an extension because he's the coach. Nobody cares because they tried to bring him back on a 5 year deal and he said no, so they tried their best. If you really think no one would make a peep if Casey had been fired after our record setting season and end of the super long playoff drought then we're just going to have to agree to disagree there. Masai would have been lambasted in the media unless we brought in a Pop level replacement.

Good news though, it won't cost us anything extra to fire Casey right now and promote one of the assistants. The roadblocks to removing Casey are gone, it's just a matter of time (and losses unfortunately).

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      Jays didn't boot him, he rejected a 5 year extension, the exact opposite of booting him, they wanted him back. He's also not the GM. If the Cubs fired Maddon right now they'd be rioting in the streets in Chicago, fans were desperate for playoff relevance and he got them there.
      Well, to be clear, Theo Epstein got them there. Maddon helped push the cart a little faster but he's just a baseball manager....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
        Well, to be clear, Theo Epstein got them there. Maddon helped push the cart a little faster but he's just a baseball manager....
        Tell that to the Rays, who stunk it up once he left. Or to every Cubs coach before Maddon. The guy must be doing something right to take perennial dumpster fire teams to playoff relevance in two different cities.

Comment

This will be my last post RE: Blue Jays since we're getting off topic. Let me clarify some stuff.

In baseball, GM = coach (Blue Jays equivalent to Casey is Gibbons). Confusing because in basketball, GM = exec (or President of Operations). They offered an extension to AA, their President of Baseball Operations (the basketball equivalent is GM (Masai)). He turned down the extension. It's nothing like offering Casey an extension because he's the coach. Nobody cares because they tried to bring him back on a 5 year deal and he said no, so they tried their best. If you really think no one would make a peep if Casey had been fired after our record setting season and end of the super long playoff drought then we're just going to have to agree to disagree there. Masai would have been lambasted in the media unless we brought in a Pop level replacement.

Good news though, it won't cost us anything extra to fire Casey right now and promote one of the assistants. The roadblocks to removing Casey are gone, it's just a matter of time (and losses unfortunately).
          This has to do with replacing a management figure on a sports team after some success and having the media lambast the decision. it isnt about creating a parrellel between a Baseball GM and NBA coach.

49 wins and a playoff berth is really not an accomplishment in the NBA. Even the Atlantic Division banner raising is lame

Comment

• It's Toronto people, the media wouldn't give a fuck past 1 week if the entire coaching staff got fired and everyone in the starting lineup was traded.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
              It's Toronto people, the media wouldn't give a fuck past 1 week if the entire coaching staff got fired and everyone in the starting lineup was traded.
              Especially if there was a lower body injury rumour on the Leafs to spend 5 weeks to discuss.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                This has to do with replacing a management figure on a sports team after some success and having the media lambast the decision. it isnt about creating a parrellel between a Baseball GM and NBA coach.

49 wins and a playoff berth is really not an accomplishment in the NBA. Even the Atlantic Division banner raising is lame
                I'm with you there, but the bar was set real freaking low over our 20 year history. This fact didn't seem to matter to the thousands of fans in Jurassic Park going apeshit all playoffs. It was pretty much the coolest thing to see and was constantly shown during the broadcasts and gushed over by the announcers (I'm in the States, so wasn't watching the Canadian broadcast). The Raptors were like the kid that gets a D or F in every class, so when he finally got a C+ you had to throw him a pizza party and bring back the tutor (Casey) that got them there. Now that the kid has gotten a C- and keeps making the same mistakes in his next class you're doubting how good this tutor really is and pining for one who can get them into B or A territory (new coach).

At least we all agree that Casey needs to go.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  I completely agree that money was the likely reason for him being retained. I just think he should have been fired after last season's playoff debacle.
                  In total agreement. MU should have done it right at that season ending press conference where DC had audacity to wear his championship ring after being totally humilited.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    In total agreement. MU should have done it right at that season ending press conference where DC had audacity to wear his championship ring after being totally humilited.
                    I wanted him gone too. Unfortunately we don't have a Mark Cuban as our owner, so we had to bow down to shareholders not wanting to waste a measly $4M. The price you pay for being owned by media conglomerates instead of billionaire's trying to do fun stuff with their money.

Comment

I'm with you there, but the bar was set real freaking low over our 20 year history. This fact didn't seem to matter to the thousands of fans in Jurassic Park going apeshit all playoffs. It was pretty much the coolest thing to see and was constantly shown during the broadcasts and gushed over by the announcers (I'm in the States, so wasn't watching the Canadian broadcast). The Raptors were like the kid that gets a D or F in every class, so when he finally got a C+ you had to throw him a pizza party and bring back the tutor (Casey) that got them there. Now that the kid has gotten a C- and keeps making the same mistakes in his next class you're doubting how good this tutor really is and pining for one who can get them into B or A territory (new coach).

At least we all agree that Casey needs to go.
                      Why can't DC be our Mark Jackson ? We just need to find our Steve Kerr....

Comment

Tell that to the Rays, who stunk it up once he left. Or to every Cubs coach before Maddon. The guy must be doing something right to take perennial dumpster fire teams to playoff relevance in two different cities.
                        Yeah, he worked miracles in Tampa with all their first overall picks and scrubs like Price and Longoria working for the best front office in baseball.... Odd how he left as soon as all those guys were gone, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                        X