No announcement yet.

Bobby Portis or Anthony Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portis vs Bennett straight up? You take Portis. But, our backup guard defense was atrocious last year. The number of negative line ups that featured GV were astonishing. And when Lowry went down, not having a real 3rd PG was sad. The team needed a player like Delon more than they needed a player like Portis (that's how bad our perimeter D was) and getting Bennett was a pleasant surprise.

EDIT:

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    Good video. I Portis was honestly up and down in summer league he had two monster games then kind of faded. Bennett played solid throughout the entire FIBA competition. Based on the fact that the FIBA competition was at a much higher level in my honest opinion then Summer League, I give the edge to Bennett.

But Portis is younger and a controllable asset. The Raps see Bennett as a long term project, but how much does he cost in the next 4 years? That price certainty should have some value, no?
    Last edited by blackjitsu; Fri Oct 2, 2015, 12:29 PM.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
      and that somehow means bennett is a good defender?
      Nope... It means he's been slumping intentionally and is going to beast hard in Toronto providing lock down defense and everything we've ever wanted from our 4 position.

I'm going to go crawl back into the kool-aid bowl now

Comment

I'd give the edge to Portis and let Stackhouse explain why (which was in a discussion about Powell):

According to Jerry Stackhouse, the 18-year NBA veteran who joined the Raptors as an assistant coach this summer, Powell is above all else a competitor. “That bodes well for anybody coming into the NBA,” he says. “You can be highly skilled, but I’ll take a competitor over a highly skilled guy anytime.” And Powell’s relentlessness and focus are paying off. “Norm has shown all summer that he’s primed to be the steal of the draft,” says Stackhouse.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...-of-the-draft/

That is if decision was made in a vacuum.

With Raptors picking Wright and Powell, signing Scola for $3m, and already having Patterson, I'm happy to get Bennett on minimum.

Reality is Portis is likely a rotational player and they should be easy to find and replace....especially when you already have a good team and lots of cap flexibility.

Comment

To be fair.. I don't know much about Portis. I was surprised he had dropped so low based on where he was placed in most mock drafts.

I'd rather have him over Bennett (due to length of contract mainly) but as others have mentioned but it's not a fair comparison. It's really Wright vs Portis.. since Masai could have chosen Portis instead of him.

I really like Wright. A bit bummed that we ended up getting CoJo as Wright's minutes will really drop. I understand why we got CoJo.. but I think that will hurt Wright's development a bit (I think he'll be too good for D League).

With regards to AB.. well having an empty roster spot helped. If we had all 15 spots filled, he'd be on his way to some other team I'm sure.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            To be fair.. I don't know much about Portis. I was surprised he had dropped so low based on where he was placed in most mock drafts.

I'd rather have him over Bennett (due to length of contract mainly) but as others have mentioned but it's not a fair comparison. It's really Wright vs Portis.. since Masai could have chosen Portis instead of him.

I really like Wright. A bit bummed that we ended up getting CoJo as Wright's minutes will really drop. I understand why we got CoJo.. but I think that will hurt Wright's development a bit (I think he'll be too good for D League).

With regards to AB.. well having an empty roster spot helped. If we had all 15 spots filled, he'd be on his way to some other team I'm sure.
            The Joseph/Wright duo, if legit NBA players, could allow for some interesting work on the trade lines.

I like Lowry a lot but if he could return a Derrick Favors type player I think you take that deal given age, history, and injury.

Comment

Bennett
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                Good video. I Portis was honestly up and down in summer league he had two monster games then kind of faded. Bennett played solid throughout the entire FIBA competition. Based on the fact that the FIBA competition was at a much higher level in my honest opinion then Summer League, I give the edge to Bennett.
                Both mean nothing IMO, summer league has proven to be mostly irrelevant when it comes to predicting player careers, and FIBA Americas is low quality, plus different rules.

Comment

Working...
                X